1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you fix this WD Hard drive problem?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vito7766, Apr 7, 2006.

1. vito7766

Thanks Received:
    I just bought a new WD 250GB hard drive. The problem is, is that windows only recognizes 127GB but I need them all. How do I fix this, I remember hearing something this but don't exactly remember.How do I fix this?

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    the bad news is, you can't have that one drive be a 250GB partition. The good news is, you can make windows think it has two drives :D. Simply go into disk manager (right click my computer, click manage, click disk manager), look for any unpartitioned space, and then partition it any way you please (reccomend as much space as you can on NTFS). Happy Gaming!

3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I believe you can resize the partition to 250Gb with your fav partition resizer. Powerquest partition magic for example.

4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    mmm I should invest in one of those. I COULD have backed all my stuff up to an NTFS partition, but no, I was too cheap to invest the money. At the time I had a WD 160GB IDE (same one I'm using now) and a Quantum "Fireball" 40GB drive. I formatted and partitioned the WD as NTFS, and installed all my games on it. Then the Fireball died, and I lost everything (I was cheap and used system restore kit and upgrade-version XP). So yeah I have an awesome drive formatted as FAT32...its a very nice file system :laugh:

5. vito7766

Thanks Received:
    Idk

There has to be another way. Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools said it would fix it, but did absouletly nothing.

6. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Simply go into disk manager (right click my computer, click manage, click disk manager), in there you should see the drive with only 127Gb being used and the rest as unpartioned space right click on that space format & partion as extented space for storage... windows will give it drive letter and you will have access

7. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    or he could install SP2

8. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm pretty sure he would still have to resize it with Disk Manager. I had the same problem with my ~250GB and I had to use disk manager to resize it becuase I just wanted one massive partition. Of course I installed the drive after a clean formatt and re-install of windows; perhaps if you had SP2 already installed when you first installed the drive it would recognize it as ~250GB? If not though you will have to use disk manager everytime you formatt the ~250GB. If you are using the ~250GB as your primary drive and still want it to be one large partion I would recomend you invest in a program like Partion Magic, because when you use Windows Disk Manager to resize a drive I think it will formatt the entire drive. So if you have windows on the 127GB partition I don't think you would be able to increase it to the whole ~250GB. You could however, partion the remaining ~123GB as much as you want using Disk Manager without effecting Windows.

9. vito7766

Thanks Received:
    How do you resize it with Disk Manager. I dont really care if I have to re-install everything, so long as I can use all of my space at once, because this is getting really annoying.

10. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    need more data pata? sata? internal/external model# for storage only ...is op sys on the 80Gb drive ... Is set as primary on second ide or second on primary .... you say "new" or is it a Pull .... have you tried to "fdisk" from dos info info info

11. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only way you can re-size it to encompass all 250GB with Windows on that physical drive is with a program like Partion Magic. Disk Manager won't do it for you. You could put windows on a seperate drive then formatt it and you could have all 250 in one partition. Disk Manager just isn't up to the task.

12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    don't forget to move the window's partition with the partitioning software...copy protection in windows will prevent you from moving the file system any other way.

13. vito7766

Thanks Received:
    OK I got it all Fixed

Finally I figured out what to do, after hours of work. First you boot of your hard drive that has Windows and SP2 and install WD's Data Lifeguard Tools. Then enable the option to have more thatn 137GB with Data Lifguard. Create a new partition with all the space. Then remove your old hard drive (another place I screwed up):mad: and install Windows on that partition. Do Not try anything stupid like deleting (and here) the partition or formating it, it's already formatted. I did some of the stupidest things, when it's all so simple.:banghead: