1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you overclock? (newbie)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Possu81, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Possu81 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to push more speed to my new AMD 64 3200+ processor and thought to ask what's the best way to do it? I am a little bit newbie in overclocking.

My mainboard is KN8-SLI which has some options to overclock in BIOS. Memory is 2x512Mb Kingston valueram CL2.5.

I have read from somewhere that if you reduce multiplier to 9.5x, you can raise FSB more that on 10x and get optimal speed. Is this right?

If I just increase FSB by hand 40, processor should be then 2.4 Ghz? Also memory bus will go up to 240 Mhz (think Kingston will deal with it). Right? Do I need increase voltage if I do this?

I won't try to push it limits but a little bit overclocking would be fun to do. I have only boxed cooling system on it tho :(

2. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you have the right idea, with overclocking most if its trial and error. increase your FSB by 1MHz (or with some bioses 2MHz) at a time with the current multipler, if it doesnt work then, turn the power off for about 10secs and turn on, then back in the bios to reduce the multipler. there are no set rules with overclocking, just hard won rules as each pc is unique.

3. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to find a good article on the web that treats the subject of overclocking the A64, for your own good. It's way too complex for a beginner to just jump in there and have blind expectations. You should be weary of the stability of your system when overclocking, specially if you think *valueram* can overclock with the rest of the system. Don't be fooled! First learn how the different multipliers work and then try it out. A64 are the MOST COMPLEX processors to overclock because you have an imbedded memory controller right in the CPU. More complex to overclock, but also more potential for speed increase, and more potential to make your system unstable and crash miserably.

PS: Click in my signature's A64 3000+, it's a link to an overclocking calculator. But still, you need to understand what you're doing, not just play with numbers.

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been missing the noob questions. Good to see a new one! (no offence meant!)

5. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    alrite wat type of ram is it? and i suggest you get new cooling fannnnnnnn