1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How does GPU-Z retrieve thermal sensor data ?

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by MoonDust, Jun 28, 2009.

1. MoonDust New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I'm developping my own CPU/GPU/RAM monitoring app and I was wondering how does the GPU-Z engine to retrieve thermal sensor data ? :confused:

I mean, I know NVIDIA provides functions to retrieve temperatures and that old ATI cards had some chips like LM63 to retrieve thermal information.

Unfortunately I'm working on my ATI Radeon 4850 and it seems to have no more LM63 or simillar chip on the card (I listed all the chips :p).

So I'm ":banghead:". I searched a lot but I didn't found any information about that.

Where can I find the thermal sensor data on recent ATI Radeon cards : ATI SDK, DIRECTX SDK, BIOS, SMBUS, ACPI, something else ??

Hope someone knows ! :)
  2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    wouldnt this be like going to google and asking them how their search algorithms work? :confused:
  3. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i agree, i can't see w1z telling you how he retrieves data with his app just so you could develop a program that copies his, no offense
  4. MoonDust New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right, I'm not asking for their source code, I prefer doing it on my own (like I've already done for all the other sensors on the motherboard and also the Intel DTS). But these were "a bit" documented.

It's just that it seems no one knows where's located the GPU sensors on recent graphic cards (no more LM63 ?).

So I would just need some tips from experts. However I could quite understand if they want to keep it secret... ;)
  5. Kweku

Kweku

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Try PMing them, maybe they will let you know on private chat, these guys are cool people they may help you out.