1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How effective was your stock cooler?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ketxxx, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    An unusual question I know. But I decided its time to put to rest if stock coolers are really THAT bad still. After modding my stock cooler some more (yes I know I shouldnt of wasted my time and just fitted the VF900) and running 3dmark05 the core heated to 63c with room temps of 27c. I've really pushed the stock cooler just because its worth knowing how manufacturers are recieving critisism of stock coolers being so poor and in a lot of cases leading to premature death even when operating at stock frequencies.

Its safe to say that manufacturers have gotten better. But, and its a big one, manufacturers still feel the urge to produce these fairly respectable stock coolers and finish the base with the most piss poor finish humanly possible they can achive. To add insult to injury manufacturers also use extremely poor thermal compounds. I'm not even talking sillicon crap here either. Its all too often I take stock coolers off and find whats supposed to be thermal compound, that in all essence, is little more than hard wax on the core and spongy thermal pads for the memory. Terrible. Is asking for some standard sillicon compound to be used really asking so much? No.

Its also worth noting that manufacturers should add aluminium or copper memory inserts on their HS, doing away with those spongy thermal pads is essential in ensuring memory does not overheat. I'm sure switching to sillicon compound and some aluminium inserts would not cost a manufacturer much more, and when a consumer pays £200-300+ for a top of the range product or close to it, expecting a little quality from the stock HS is NOT too much to ask.

So to summarise:

+ Stock coolers have improved
    - Extremely poor excuses for thermal materials used
    - Undescribably poor base finishes, especially on these stock so-called "bling" coolers
    - Severe lack of copper or aluminium BGA sink inserts, instead reverting to spongy, near useless, thermal pads.

Well there is the analysis. So whats \ was your stock cooler like? primarily on cards such as X800\X850\X1k series\6800 series\7800\7900 series.

2. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The stock X1800 coolers are better than any aftermarket cooler made for them and they are meant to cool @ stock speeds. The only real problem is ATI runs the fan to slow for noise issues and if they ran it mroe agressively it would be fine for almost anyone's needs. Nvidia is putting the worst cooling solution known to man on all their cards except the 7900GTX's. They should be ashamed of themselves for leaving naked ram with that pitiful core cooler on the 7900GT's.

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    My X850XT had a pretty good design...but ATI put the fan on the wrong side of the card :laugh:. If ATI had set their fan up to blow over the copper instead of suck air over it, I would not have replaced my stock cooler. Oh yeah and the ATI card was kinda loud lol. My modifications allowed my X850XT to run at 590/570 max if I really wanted to...but I kept it at stock so that I can enjoy my card longer lol.

4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    My X800XL's stock cooler was alright. Cooled it down at stock speeds, but not the lowest it could be. Was really quiet though compared to other case fans (all running at 12.0v) and I barely noticed it. But when I adjusted the fan speeds on ATI Tool, that's when I heard it, and the VF700-Cu came...

5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Temps? aiming to name and shame manufacturers here guys :D

6. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    50/75

Now w/ VF700-Cu:
    34/55

7. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are we talking about video card coolers or processor coolers ketxx?

8. markkleb Guest

I loved my HIS X800GTO IceQ TurboII. UV blue AC cooler and a big heatsink on the back for memory. To this day it OCs like crazy 560/680 (been in 6 diff comps, broke off caps 2 times resoldered them back on) and it still runs fine

I just bought a X850XT from Saphire and while I was changing it to WC I looked at the copper heatsink. Biggest POS ever made! It had milling GROVES(not marks) and a raised ridge around the edge where it seated on GPU.

I have a bunch of ACcoolers,2,4,5 and the copper base is pretty good.

I just bought 2 XFX 7600GS and while I was removing the heatsinks to put AS-5 I noticed they already had AS-5. One was better than the other (finish) but both were good.

before these I didnt even know you could remove the coolers..lol

9. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    On the subject of video card coolers, yes they suck. My 6800 was hitting around 80+ celsius under load at stock speeds. Ridiculous.

10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    My X850XT used to run at 39/64 on a hot day, now it runs 37/53 on a hot day. I can't wait to see how this thing will perform when winter comes...or when I just turn on my air conditioner :laugh:. Oh yeah and the stock AMD heatsink brought my processor to about 44*C load on a hot day, my new AC Silencer 64 Ultra keeps it around 37*C. Not a big temp difference, but the extra airflow keeps my passively cooled memory, chipset, transistors, and southbridge cool.

11. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    right now my x1800XT's cooler is doing an excellent job keeping my Vcard at 45C idle 64C load at 700/800 plus my accelero x2 is about to arive along with some AS5, i wonder if the temps will drop even more.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  12. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know there is general belief that kinda says the cooler the better.. but "cool enough" is all we should expect..

no one seems to know what "cool enough" is thow.. noise is definitely a factor.. folks dont like too much of that.. i know i dont..

how hot is hot and how hot is too hot.. buggered if i know..

trog

13. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    well with the stock i was getting around 43c idle and 71c load now with vf900 i get 34c idle and 45c and with ac i get 18-19c idle and 35c load and i use OCZ ultra+ 5

14. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Pretty OK, imo (but, no expert here)

I don't monitor the temps on it, so it would have to be a guess judging mainly on its size & construction:

675 Core GPU
    850/1700 Memory

:)

It's the BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC (pre-overclocked), & the heatsink on it? MAD SIZE & 2 slot solution!

(quadruple heatpipes too)

[​IMG]

APK

P.S.=> I overclocked its already o/c'd amount, & it holds well (even in summer heat here) w/out messing up, so I can't complain! apk

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  15. blacktruckryder

Thanks Received:
    My X800GTO 16 pipes and clocked @ 425/510 runs 38c idle and 58 full load, with the stock cooler. At idle the fan is only spinning at 50%. My case temp is 32C at idle.

16. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    VGA stock coolers. Who wants to bust out their old stock coolers, give them a real nice lapping and see how they perform to 3rd party coolers? To give manufacturers credit where its due for good design, but equally shunning those for poor finishes and pathetic excuses for thermal materials used. Remember to NAME the manufacturer!

After running 3dmark05 my stock cooler never seems to let my heavily-ish clocked GT run over 63c. Which although is not cool, its also not terrible for a stock cooler. Also remember I have really gone to town on my stock cooler though lapping with sandpaper to the degree that the finish is almost mirror perfect. Before that the only way I can describe the base of the cooler when I took it apart is craters. For shame Gigabyte, for shame :shadedshu. In fact, the outside of the cooler had a better finish than its base! W.T.F! :wtf:

Also anyone that has the Gigabyte GV-NX68T256DH, can you upload a copy of your cards BIOS? I'm looking to put something a bit special together but the BIOS on my card isnt exactly the latest, which is annoying. I also cant find a newer BIOS for this card. I would just use any old GT BIOS but doing so with this card loses you the ability to control the fan and monitor the cards temps.

Heres a pic of the cooler on my card for those curious.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  17. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    You know, because I have a dead 6200, an X850XT stock cooler and a VGA Silencer Rev.3 lying around, I think I'm going to try fitting the two coolers on :). I'll post pictures if any of them fit :D. And no, I can't give you temp differences on a dead VGA :p.

18. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    erm well thats sorta the point on testing decentlylapped stock coolers vs 3rd party coolers :p to see which manufacturers arent doing too badly and which are simply abysmal :p

19. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well just installed 2 days ago my brand new 7900GT that comes at stock speeds of 450/660 and I have already overclocked to 685/850 although am not keeping it on that perminently as I want to let her "bed in" first for a few weeks plus I need to get some ram cooling! Now the stock cooler on the 7900Gt is a the fartiest muvvaa I have ever come across it looks like a northbridge fan thats seen better days but I tell you this, even with those overclocks she didnt go above 73C at full load, trouble is she is sooo noisy I know I am just gonna have to replace the cooling eventually.

20. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    So your taking what I said to heart I take it and stopping her from frying herself ;)

21. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Damn right! only just got her and lets face it, not a lot of point in being in these forums if you dont listen to good advice!......once again thanx.

22. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    np ;) last thing anyone wants is frying a £200 vid cardwhere the manufacturers are too lazy to fit a proper cooling solution. evga seem to be on top of things there though looking into physically changing components and coming up with a cooling solution. xfx on the other hand....their flat out denying anything is wrong.

23. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Although I paid nowhere near £200! told you it was a bargain! :laugh: (£175 to be exact)

24. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    x1600pro stock cooler is ludicrous. it looks lovely comes with a nice big cooler that also covers the ram but it idles at 60 and can hit 80 under load my system is runing way too hot tho, my stock x2 3800+ is at 45 and hits around 55c under load with the stock amd cooler i need to invest in some good thermal paste and reseat both the cpu hs and my x1600 cooler see if that helps

25. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget to get some good case airflow in there...sometimes it's a problem of good removal of heat from the source but nowhere for the heat to go :laugh:. Oh yeah my 6200 stock cooler is AMAZING for a passively cooled thing. With my VGA Silencer Rev.3 serving as a PCI exhaust fan, and overclocking to 370/460, I rarely got above 44*C :D. Though, it kinda IS a 6200, and only runs at 4 pipes :p.