1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How hot should I allow my Asus 670 DCII 4GB card to become?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Whitestar, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Whitestar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying GPU overclocking for the first time. Using EVGA Precision X. It allows me to set up a fan profile, which is nice. So I can decide how much the fan will spin at which temps.

I'm just wondering about where the danger zone on these cards is, temperature wise. Should I keep it under 80 degrees celcius? Should I start to worry if it reaches 80-85?

Have no experience on this from earlier, so input would be appreciated. :)
  2. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, GTX 670 should start throttling when it reach 70 degrees celcius, so you might want to keep those temps under 70 C.
  3. Whitestar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that low? Ok, guess I will have to be aggressive with the fan speed then. :)

Any particular number of hours I should test to make sure the card hits a stable temp at any given clock?
  4. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    I don't have any reference about how long you should test your card's stability, but usually when I overclock my card I only ran ten minutes of Furmark, and two or three runs of 3DMark 11 (or the new one) and Unigine Heaven.

After that I just use it casually for gaming and GPU crunching.
    Whitestar says thanks.
  5. Whitestar New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's something I don't really understand here. Having applied no overclock in Precision X, when I run the Heaven benchmark for about 20 minutes the temp reaches 70 degrees. And that happens even if I have the fan at 80% constantly. Is this normal for a DCII card? I would think I should be able to keep it under 70.

I also notice in the OSD when running Heaven that the GPU clock fluctuates between 980 (boost clock) and 1110.5. Does it do this always or is this Precision X pushing the GPU clock?

Is there a way to lock the GPU clock at say 980 or maybe 1000 so that maybe I can keep it under 70 degrees?

Kind of underwhelmed by the DCII cooling solution here. :)