1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How hot should I allow my Asus 670 DCII 4GB card to become?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Whitestar, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Whitestar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying GPU overclocking for the first time. Using EVGA Precision X. It allows me to set up a fan profile, which is nice. So I can decide how much the fan will spin at which temps.

I'm just wondering about where the danger zone on these cards is, temperature wise. Should I keep it under 80 degrees celcius? Should I start to worry if it reaches 80-85?

Have no experience on this from earlier, so input would be appreciated. :)
  2. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, GTX 670 should start throttling when it reach 70 degrees celcius, so you might want to keep those temps under 70 C.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Whitestar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that low? Ok, guess I will have to be aggressive with the fan speed then. :)

Any particular number of hours I should test to make sure the card hits a stable temp at any given clock?
  4. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    I don't have any reference about how long you should test your card's stability, but usually when I overclock my card I only ran ten minutes of Furmark, and two or three runs of 3DMark 11 (or the new one) and Unigine Heaven.

After that I just use it casually for gaming and GPU crunching.
    Whitestar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Whitestar New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's something I don't really understand here. Having applied no overclock in Precision X, when I run the Heaven benchmark for about 20 minutes the temp reaches 70 degrees. And that happens even if I have the fan at 80% constantly. Is this normal for a DCII card? I would think I should be able to keep it under 70.

I also notice in the OSD when running Heaven that the GPU clock fluctuates between 980 (boost clock) and 1110.5. Does it do this always or is this Precision X pushing the GPU clock?

Is there a way to lock the GPU clock at say 980 or maybe 1000 so that maybe I can keep it under 70 degrees?

Kind of underwhelmed by the DCII cooling solution here. :)