1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How hot should my card get?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Wingnutt, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Wingnutt Guest

I just sucessfully flashed my ATI X800 Pro VIVO to an XT. I ran the Ati Tool and at first it only got up to 76c with no artifacts. Lately i've been checking it and its climbed to 80C with no artifacts. (Probably because the ac is off) How hot do these cards get and should I be worried? Idle temp is 44-46c.
  2. mustrum New Member

Thanks Received:
    76 is just fine. 80 is a bit on the hotter side of the average users but shouldn't worry you. It gets critical if you hit above 100 degrees. :D
    I myself wouldn't want to go way past 80 but 80 should be ok.
    Do you use ATI Tool allready? It has a fanspeed option where you can crank up the fan speed.
    You might be able to lower your temperature to around 70 if you go to 100% fan speed.
    70% should do it as well and it's not noisy.
  3. NRP New Member

Thanks Received:
    With the stock cooling, my X800 Pro VIVO reached 85C+ during benchmarking both before and after the Bios mod to XT speeds (my computer is upstairs in California, so it's hot as hell in the summer). The stock HSF is very noisy at 100% speed. I installed a VGA Silencer 4, and the full load temperature dropped to 68C. The VGA Silencer 4 is very quiet, even at 100% fan speed, and it's very easy to install - I highly recommend it. It does however cover the adjacent PCI slot.

ATI claims that the R420 gpu can get up to 100C without problems, but, as with all electronic components, cooler is better. In my opinion, the VGA Silencer 4 is money well spent.
  4. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those chips could reach 127 degrees before an error occurd but at that temp it also melted :rolleyes:
    So you should be fine below 100 :D
  5. mustrum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read somewhere that the temp diode reports temperatures far from reality so maybe the cards run hotter than we think. I'd rather have some headroom. 80 degrees should be ok though. (Was too much for my liking though. ATI Silencer 4 fixed it)
  6. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's not far from reality the overdrive temp adds 20 degrees to it so it's kind of the actual temp. But you should keep it below 80 it's still a nice and safe temp..
    (although mine doesn't even go over 70 :D )