1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How I killed a 9600GT within less then 24hrs of owning it

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Xazax, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    So not but yesterday, i ran down to my local BestBuy and picked up a PNY 9600GT to play with(they have a 30 day return policy, so basically i go there try out any GFX card and return then buy one i liked from newegg.com!) and give it a whirl.

Everything goes great play some Company heroes without a hitch, OC it a bit to 750/1000 and run some benchies then whilst browsing my favorite tech site(TPU :rockout: ) boom! BSOD!!!! OUT OF FRIGGIN NO WHERE. I plug back in my 7300GS i was just previously using and find out that VISTA KILLED MY 9600GT.

How? easy, i have an Abit 630a with an onboard 7025, Vista apparently thought i "needed drivers for the onboard" and when it finished installing it gave me the BSOD because i have the onboard GPU disabled, so obviously a conflict arouse between the onboard and 9600GT that some how ended up killing the 96000GT. All it does now when i plug it in is spin the fan at %100 forever until i shut down the computer. Upon using onboard, everything is fine, EXCEPT booting into Vista, it just gives me a black screen and nothing.

So, there you go, i(more like Vista!) killed a GFX card worth $200(though i wont tell bestbuy that wink, wink, :D:cool: ) and now my onboard is about as use-full as it was before.

So now im back to the 7300GS... within less then 24 hours of owning a PNY 9600GT
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    i think it could probably be a mobo bios or GPU bios issue more then vista trying to install onboard grfx when u got your 9600GT plugged it - im not sure myself as i only experienced with once when a mate accused me of selling him a dodgy card AFTER his house got hit by lightning while his pc was on & my card was plugged in.

everything else in his pc worked but only the graphics card didnt - even when i plugged it onto my test rig - the graphics card crashed the mobo & i had to rest the bios each time - even when i had plugged another card in - the mobo still wouldnt work until i reset the bios via jumper.

so it maybe a case of the GPU bios being currupt - i would try flashing it you got nothing to lose anyway. either way bestbuy are gonna refund your cash even if you dip the card in batter then in hot oil.

so try n flash it - if it still doesnt work then return it
  3. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Well, i hardly think its even worth the time, to bother doing such. Ill just return it them but still im amazed at how something like this could happen..
  4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well is the bios your running on your mobo the ost upto date one???? it may have some compatabilty issues with certain types of hardware - you never know but then you can never be to sure.

just make sure your running the most up to date bios version. doesnt even take 5mins to update & its not as if the versions gonna revert or anything so - thats 1 less problem to think about when it comes to troubleshooting next time with any type of hardware.
  5. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Yea, okay but it was working fine up until that BSOD i recieved and using the onboard results in black screen upon Vista loading, and using the 9600GT results in a black screen no matter what. the 7300GS however works just great. So obviously its a GFX problem. I wonder though, and if you have any ideas, what coulda cause such a conflict to happen that would totally knock out a GPU dead like that?
  6. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    google '9600gt black sreen' you will see the problem that many ppl have is the same as yours. vista didnt kill it, 9600gt killed itself
  7. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    so easy and quick to blame vista tut tut, more likely the card was crap to start with
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. Unless, another piece of hardware caused the failure, but it's pretty useless to blame an O/S on hardware failure. I'm sure a replacement card will work fine, unless of course your other hardware is crap, or you don't know how to install drivers.
  9. kyle2020 Guest

thank god you have a return policy like that. i dont know of any shops other than online that even sell graphics cards off the shelf. You americans have it so good! haha.
  10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Well, not really, in-store retail is usually marked up by 30-50% on graphics cards. Also, you have to think about no shipping to worry about. Can have it running in your PC same day. I got a darn good deal on my 2600 pro, which is usually around $80 on Mwave and tigerdirect, for $75 but it was an exchange item.
  11. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Ah ha yea i am so quick? like i said this only occured when Vista tried to install 7025 Drivers the whole time it was fine before hand..
  12. reviewhunter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Vista killed your card either.

But it's hard to believe that it dies so easily, 750mhz is not extreme clock.
  13. kylew

kylew New Member

Thanks Received:
    An OS can't kill a graphics card though, it's just data, if anything, the BIOS could have corrupted. According to choppy, it appears to be a re-occurring thing with some 9600s.
  14. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a long time, you have officially wasted 40 seconds of my life listening to your nonsense.

An operating system whether XP, 2000, Vista, is unable to damage your video card in any capacity in which you have described. Obviously your graphics card isn't physically damaged so one would suggest booting into a safe mode equivalent and uninstalling and removing the incorrect drivers from the registry. Failing that your forced to re-install Vista fresh after a format. The only thing Vista could be responsible for is allowing YOU to install the wrong drivers but as I said your card isn't physically damaged as that would be impossible to every single degree possible.

Stop encouraging Xazax's nonsense, Xazax's card is obviously not damaged by his operating system, it's just a mere driver conflict. Although there were some fault early 9600GT's initially on release but it would usually bring upon an error or black screen after a few hours of game play! - But as far as Vista causing damage, nonsense.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
    techie81 and ghost101 say thanks.
  15. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    just fyi, I'd steer clear of pny in the future, stick with palit, evga, etc.
  16. saadzaman126

saadzaman126 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow well that sucks
  17. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    DUDES!!!! it's the chipset driver for the 780i. i had the same problem with all 10 of my evga 780i's. nvidia knows about the problem but they have yet to fix it. get a 790i or 750i. both will PWN a 780i.
  18. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those software developers ... lol
  19. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    I think you fail to understand what im getting at, now im not going around blaming Vista for all my frigging hardware problems. But it just happen during a installation of updates, and it recommend this for 7025, seeing as it auto updated, i had no control of STOPPING IT FROM DOING SO, SO hence it is Vista FAULT because it should realize i have a 9600GT that is my main card wtf would i want to install onboard for? not to mention its disabled in BIOS
  20. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    vista didn't do it n00b. if you were smart enough to buy it from the egg and you have it for less than 30 days get an RMA, it's fast and easy.
  21. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    uh... no... you can take it back to best buy and get a new one today! why wait for newegg to send you a new one?
  22. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    I bought it from bestbuy yesterday, why dont you read my post? i can return it and get my full money back. Newegg would charge me friggin shipping and restocking fee as well as i would have to reship them back it.

What a friggin thread, i tell a problem along with my theory and i get bashed for it in the most rude manner, internet is horrible these days.
  23. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh, didn't read that he got it from best buy, thats even better in your case:D...unless you lost the receipt:eek:
  24. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

there is an underlying bit of irony here!!!!!

xazax is the guy that bought 2 "8800gt's" from a guy on craigslist and couldnt figure out why they were recognized by windows or the nvidia drivers. he then asked US here on TPU to help him figure out what cards they REALLY were. it turns out they just so happened to be a pair of Engineering Samples of the, yet to be released at that time, Nvidia 9600gt. he then sold them to someone for A LOT more than they cost now.

the ironic part is that now he has another one... it's giving him hell. ROFLMAO!!!

way to go!!! should have kept the ES cards.
  25. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Yea it a bit ironic anit it? i figured i give the 9600GT a try because i sold my 8800GTS 512mb to a guy here on TPU, and the 9600GT is cheaper.