1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How important is F@H for you?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Funtoss, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all i want to know why exactly do you guys do F@H because i dont get it... i have tried doing it and have completed at 100% more then 20 times and i have no idea what it does and what you get out of it? :p

i googled about this but dont really understand this stuff, anyone care to explain?

also if i do 24/7 F@H with the computer on all the time, would it harm my pc?
    :confused:
  2. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Folding@Home and World Community Grid both use our computer's hardware to help solve problems.

Folding@Home folds proteins in an effort to:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main

World Community Grid works to solve:
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp
    [​IMG]

Why do I help in these projects? Because I want to try to help others and by combining our computing power we can help in efforts to find a cure for many diseases, find better ways to feed those without food, etc...
    My question would be why wouldn't you want to help?
    As far as harming your pc, I would say as long as your system is stable and has the proper cooling that it would not harm your pc.
    hertz9753 and Funtoss say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Amazing! i would definitely leave it on :)

Thank you bro!
    HammerON says thanks.
  4. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to know that even if you don't understand it, you still want to know about it.

I'll talk for folding, as i don't know much on wcg. When your body creates proteins, it starts with a long chain of blocks (i'll keep it simple). Then the line fold itself in a way that is specific to each kind of proteins there is in your body. In the end it looks a little like going from a rope to a pile of rope. BUT, if it misfold just a little, the protein is not fonctional (not in the way it was intended to). The more it misfold, the more it become wrong. That's when we are coming close to cancer. Cancer cells are just cells that have gone wrong and don't do the things they are supposed. They multiply themselves in no organized way, just growing in anarchy. In the end, the tumor often release cells that will populate other places in your body, leading to death when they get in a crucial organ.

I work with breast cancer on a daily basis, and folding is the way i found to not only make my computer make something when i don't utilize it, but to help^human kind to win the war with cancer. All the computers running the client are a super-computer dedicated to research. I really think it is worth it!
    hertz9753 and Funtoss say thanks.
  5. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

Well put:toast::toast::toast:
    Funtoss and Feänor say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    I always find it complicated; I mean, can you just download the program, double click and off you go? Does it use cpu or gpu or both? I wouldn't mind folding but it's difficult for me.
    Funtoss and Feänor say thanks.
  7. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Download the client (i suggest fah tracker v2), install it wherever you want, start it, set it up (if you don't care for points, just click the cpu and/or gpu you want to fold), then just start it up each time you start your computer. The first start requires a LITTLE work, but after that, it will work on it's own. Each work unit help!
    Funtoss says thanks.
  8. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Am i using the right one? :p

[​IMG]

and can i also change my team to Techpowerup?? lol its on EVGA atm because my GPU is EVGA but i want to change to Techpowerup, whats the number?
  9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Funtoss says thanks.
  10. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, i really appreciate and feels great that i m helping scientist find cure for cancer!! i didnt even know that, thanks everyone! =)