1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how is my oc?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by maknusdave, Oct 14, 2012.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any reviews you can show us. Because anyone can say they are a reviewer and act like they know what they are talking about.
    itsakjt says thanks.
  2. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    The max temp thingy is BS. I am running my Phenom II at 3.9 GHz and it touches 67-68 degree C at full load. But still it is stable. If it is stable, it is stable. Temperatures just reduces the life. Some Cool and Quiet features reduces the clock if temperature triggers 72 degree C. And the Phenom II BSODs when it touches 85 degree C at full load though. At 100 degree C, it shuts down. I know all of this because I experimented in every possible way including powering on the system without the heatsink. I you can guess what I did.

Ps. I powered on the system reducing the clocks to 1 GHz and setting the voltage to .8V so that I can power on the system without the heatsink and check the temp in BIOS when the system shuts down.
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:

Check your PM
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    The max temp thing actually is not BS. Those temps will degredate your chip but normal conditions they will be much lower than load temps...... your overclock is only 3.9GHz? I don't see the sense of pushing it and second, why not get better cooling? You can get a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for $25 that will bring those temps down A LOT.

If your running over 62 normal coonditions, your chip will have a short life.
    itsakjt says thanks.
  5. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    But I am not full loading it all the time. For example, when I play games, it stays at 60 degree C. It only gets that high when I do stress test. Also, I don't think high temps affect life as we see. Anyone of us don't keep a PC for more than 5-6 years(maximum). Many people I know are running out of TIM and their Pentium 4 or Pentium D CPUs run at 80-90 degree C. They don't play games. But their processors are running good as new.
  6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    60 is still pretty high for everyday and that will push the envelope for degredation and a $25 cooler will do wonders and save a lot of life just sayin.
  7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I had a 955 a couple years back, and when i ran it on a close loop cooler (Corsair H80), i could run that thing through to 4.2ghz and beyond for around 1.5vcore. That was on a system with 8gb of 1333 ram and an evo motherboard, the model of which i have no clue