1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How is this for a gaming PC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by meteora881, Aug 7, 2014.

1. meteora881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is my build so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dkTHqs

Can't change the RAM because I have already purchased it.

Should I maybe go i7 4790k or just stick with the i5 4690k?

I can't decide on a motherboard, I will overclock once I learn how to so a Z97 is what I am looking for. I was using this article to help me out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mainstream-gaming-z97-motherboard,3824.html What motherboard do you guys recommend and it doesn't necessarily have to be from that article I linked...preferably around the $100-$160 range.

For my GPU I narrowed it down to a R9 290, R9 290x, or a GTX 780...does R9 290 give the same FPS as the 780? Which will give me more FPS/performance overclocked the 290 or 780? Is the 290x worth the extra $50 or more?

Also how does the rest of my build look? I will overclock the CPU so what is a good aftermarket CPU cooler to get up around 4.5 Ghz?

Thanks

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Looks good. A better board would be the Gigabyte Z97X UD5H but your build is not bad at all. You could use a CM Hyper 212 EVO cheap and simple. You could change the PSU to a 650 HX or RM Corsair if you find one on sale. Or Even a SeaSonic G 550W would do at $85

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-vs-GeForce-GTX-780

3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    The two base cards are pretty much identical in performance, but the 290 is nearly $100 cheaper, has more VRAM, and usually has WAY better game bundles too. For some reason some of the better brand 780s get consistently better customer reviews on Newegg though, like the EVGA 780 FTW, which can be had at Newegg for only $465. That's vs $370 for the cheapest 290 though, which is HIS, and a pretty good brand.

What actual base performance and overclocking you get will vary slightly depending on the exact model, build quality of aftermarket parts, and even ASIC quality, which can vary a lot. EVGA seems to have pretty consistent quality though. I'm def considering getting one of their high end Maxwells when they're available, depending on price, performance, and VRAM capacity (hoping for 4GB).

Right now with the prices, build configurations and bundles the way they are, the 290 is clearly the better value. Just make sure you get it from a vendor that has a good return policy. Shoddy OCing due to poor ASIC or other factors is not really covered by anyone though. It's just the luck of the draw there. With my Sapphire 7970 OC, I got very unlucky there, and can't help but feel it will weigh into my next purchase decision.

Do note however that the later into a model cycle you buy, the more likely you will get a lower ASIC quality. Also keep in mind that if you're happy playing at 1080p, 3GB VRAM is fine.

4. meteora881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does the 290 have as much overclock room as the 780? Hmmm maybe I should just go for a 290x since they are the same price as a 780? For my motherboard should I go with an Asrock extreme or MSI Gaming and which model?

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    The MSI Gaming 5 or 7 would be good. MSI Gaming boards are awesome!

6. meteora881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So if you could pick any Z97 motherboard you would go with the MSI Gaming 5? Could you help me out with my GPU? Does the 290 have as much overclock room as the 780?

7. basco

Thanks Received:
  8. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    Most of games in AMD's bundle are games that are over a year old, good % are even 2 years old. they only have like 2-3 games that are within last 6 months. So should check to see if there is any games in the bundle you want before hand.

9. meteora881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    for the 780 thinking about superclocked acx ($500)or dual ftw acx ($465) and the dual ftw acx has higher core clock

for 290 everyone says sapphire tri x

unless anybody can recommend something better?

also does the 290 really have 5-10 fps advantage in most games compared to 780?

also how will these overclock?

10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Where did you hear that? I have the EVGA GTX SC 780 But I cant tell you how it overclocks (haven't needed to try) But its quiet and fast

11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    The 290 beats the 780 like you are saying at higher resolutions like 2560*1600 and up, most likely due to it's 4 gig of RAM compared to the 780's 3 gig of RAM.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. meteora881 New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    ^^^THIS, you can't count on getting the same OCing others do, esp later in the model cycle. OCing is always hit and miss.
    Well, there's Sniper Elite III, Thief IV, and Murdered: Soul Suspect from what I've seen. They usually have a few new games for their Gold level Never Settle bundle to keep things interesting, it's just a matter of what they are at the time and whether you're interested in them.

I happened to luck out with my Sapphire 7970 OC in some respects. I got it late in the model cycle and it had a pretty low ASIC and was a lemon at OCing, but it was on sale for only $330 (nearly 2 years ago), and the 3 games I got with it were recently released and very good ones (Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman Absolution).

You can't blame AMD for what games are or aren't available at any given time, it's not really in their control. It depends a lot what games are being developed at the time and what vendor they want to endorse them. That said, while bundles can be hit and miss like OCing, if you stay tuned to who's endorsing what games ahead of time, you can often see a good bundle coming.