1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How many drives per power cable?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NinjaNife, May 19, 2010.

1. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am wondering how many hard drives a single power cable can handle. Here is a theoretical example to try and explain what I mean. Let's say I have 5 hard drives in my computer. I need them to be able to all be plugged in, but only have 1 power cable available from my PSU. The power cable has 2 plugs on it, and I have 3 Y-Splitters (if I plug 1 splitter into each plug on the power cable and another splitter into one of the two, then I would have 5 available plugs total, all on the 1 cable). Will this one power cable be able to support the needs of 5 hard drives running at the same time, or must I get more cables from the PSU? I just need to know how many drives per cable are workable. Not sure if this made sense, but hopefully someone will understand and know the answer. Thanks.

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would say you will be able to run 5 drives , but just wondering what PSU and wattage is it?

3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    If the PSU has 2 plugs on one power cable then there is a reason its like that. do not overload.

you might be lucky if the drives survives with the y-splitter.

For Case fans its ok to split it, so if you have any plugs going into case fans split it with the y-cable, use one for hdd and other for the case fan. hope it makes sense.

:toast:

4. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
    I could probably get another cable (so 2 coming from the PSU), but even then I would have 1 cable with 3 drives (which would require a splitter). Also, the reason I posted was because I wasn't sure if the cable only had 2 plugs due to power, or just the fact that the cables get VERY long after 2+ plugs on it.