1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How many of you went back to Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Raw, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Did you return to Win 7 after using Win 8?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2013.
  1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

36.0%
  1. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering... how many of you have gone back to Windows 7 and are glad you did...or not?

I myself did go back to 7 and I am glad I did.
    I have 2 purchased copies of Win 8 on CD and they are now sitting in a desk drawer.

2. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I never purchased 8 but used it in beta until retail release. 7 is more to my liking for ease of use, but i was and still am impressed by 8's resource management.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am updating all 3 of my computers to Win 8.
    Running trials, they are significantly more responsive and smoother (multithreaded with older hardware is light years ahead), and there is nothing in it for games. Uses way less RAM too (less than 500MB with the complete UI and Superbar), so I can use more as a disk cache to make things even faster.
    Unless you have specific legacy support requirements, there shouldn't be a reason to go backwards <:

I guess if you are old hat and still mainly use your mouse to navigate the desktop you wouldn't like Win 8, but if you've been using the super fast keyboard shortcuts for everything since Vista, it's a natural progression.

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had 5 people in the last month asking me to install Windows 7 on their new laptops that came with windows 8. For some reason, general home consumers hate it around here. The thing that irritates most people is the lack of a 'X' close button at the top, I just ALT+F4, but personally, I shall not be upgrading.
    EDIT: The last 2 systems managers I just spoke to also said, they will not be upgrading their businesses to Win 8

5. syeef

Thanks Received:
    I liked Windows 8 so far... not going back!

Windows 8 is basically Windows 7, all you gotta do is remove the Metro UI apps from Start and think of the Start as fullscreen version of the old Start Menu.

As for the Shutdown, I just hit the Power button on my Case.

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It gets the same hatred Vista got, kinda. It feels like many hate it because they are supposed to.

In ten years we will probably don't like 7 the way we don't like XP now.

7. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I still like XP :(

jgunning says thanks.
  8. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    Businesses are a different ballpark altogether. System apps must all be tested which takes a lot of time and money, hence why many businesses simply skip major OS generations. Business also gets longer support life cycles too.
    I am still rolling out Windows 7 updates from XP for companies around here, as their internal testing is only just finished.
    Many factories still rely on legacy hardware and run Win NT4/9x even.

9. syeef

Thanks Received:
    Time to grow up I guess :) /Sarcasm

10. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    XP Black edition was great back in the day when people turned up with first gen netbooks!

11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Moving to 8 forced me to use the folder libraries shortcut in the task bar. So because of that im faster now with windows 7. Who needs a start menu. 8 has a great search feature

12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I installed classic shell and have been fine ever since. I have it only on my laptop.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I've tried 8, I do not like it. I can't stand the lack of a start menu, I do not like the UI, and my desktop computer is not a freaking tablet.

Oh, and I refuse to upgrade to a OS that I have to modify to look like the OS I'm currently using, for neglible benefits. I'll be using Windows7 as long as it is properly supported.

Prima.Vera, AsRock, Irony and 4 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If this was true you would still be stuck with CLI's only. I assume you don't mean it like that though, but the idea that you can't upgrade because it doesn't look like what you're using now is weird.

15. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I have been using shortcuts for almost two decades, there are other more important reasons I have not moved on.

Our business will be upgrading to windows 7 this year, Q2.

16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I used windows 8 for about 4 days but I never got my driver issues fixed so I went back to windows 7. Once 8 gets more mature I may switch back.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. mx500torid

mx500torid

Thanks Received:
    I tried it and actually like the way it performs. Boots faster and seems peppier and it on an older c2d system. If any of you want to sell your win 8 LMK what you want for it.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. Litzner New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased Windows 8 and went back. It did really bother me that they were forcing me down a path with the UI and attempted to make it so I could not customize it they way I wanted, but I could get over that.

For me Windows 8 was unstable, it ran fast, but buggy. I was getting random BSODs and crashes. It also did not support a lot of little thing I used regularly. Like I always like messing around with VirtuMVP, and that (at the time) was not supported under Windows 8.

I did like the speed, and I like the cleaner look of the UI. I liked the look and feel of the Windows, but with then trying to force me down a path, the BSODs, the still unsupported features, and not to mention how they are trying to screw people with the Windows Store, I just couldn't validate sticking to Windows 8 over Windows 7.

If the Steam box is successful, and Microsoft keeps trying to tell it's user base what it wants, I could see a lot of gamers like me make Linux their primary OS. Microsoft has to be very careful there, I don't think they realize what they are risking if they lose their enthusiasts. Their enthusiasts are the people all the normies go to when they need computer advice...

19. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    It can't be much easier than to go with the mouse top screen and drag the app down to close. I bet kids like it but then again somebody has to teach customers some tricks with Windows 8.

One of my PCs is running Windows 8 and it will stay like that. The main rig runs Windows 7 and it will stay like that.

20. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Try teaching some clients to CTRL+C and CTRL+V is hard enough, let alone dragging the window down from the top, half they time they miss the buttons anyway.

Crap Daddy says thanks.
  21. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love Windows 8, best $14.99 I ever spent. I would not have paid more then that to upgrade though :)

22. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I tried the BETA on two machines for about a week-and-a-half.

I just could not tweak it to my liking; i.e. eliminate the Metro UI and Windows Store 'features'.

Windows 7 serves me well, and I have no reason to change.

23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I have no interest in paying a sum of money on a piece of software that I then have to mod to look half decent.

Something I was thinking of today though, and more the point of this post, I wonder what they are doing with W9?

24. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    I personally did not like it, at all.

95Viper says thanks.
  25. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Who said anything about I can't upgrade? If I so desired, I could have 8 on all my computers. I simply do not like the way 8 looks, and I like having my start menu and use it quite frequently. It has been suggested to me to upgrade to 8 and use mods to get a start menu. Why would I go though all that hassle when I'm happy with the way 7 looks, works, and performs. :wtf:

BTW, apparently I'm not the only here that doesn't like 8.

jgunning says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU