1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How many of you went back to Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Raw, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Did you return to Win 7 after using Win 8?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2013.
  1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

36.0%
  1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I didn't find 8 worth upgrading too.
    Microsoft want to keep shoving a new OS down our throats every 2 years now.
    I'm not with it..

The improvements do not warrant a new OS imo.
    Some things are just not improved at all, like gaming..
    So to me that's a fail..

If I wanted a tablet interface, I'd buy a tablet..
    I don't and I won't.
    andrewsmc and jgunning say thanks.
  2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Used windows 8 beta. Two weeks was all I could stand before I wiped the partition.

You get:
    Slightly better performance
    Slightly better security

You lose:
    Any support solutions, since Vista
    A mouse centric UI
    Independence from the MS store

If I'm paying for an upgrade I want an upgrade. XP was great, even after slogging through getting x64 up and drivers running. 7 came into its own, and has proven a generally positive step forward. 8 and Vista share too much. They compromise function for form, and that isn't what I need.

BTW, XP is still used in a scary amount of places. The people in the government, healthcare, and resource management are largely still on XP. You honestly think you can move them from XP to 8? Best of luck to you, but I don't think MS has even considered that huge of a UI leap (assuming that their customers would have tried Vista or 7 first).
  3. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use the program Start Menu 8 to deal with the new layout
  4. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I found nothing appealing about Win 8 except it was new. I like Win 7. but if I could get away with it I would have XP on all my pc's.
  5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I was smart, never moved to Windows 8, stayed with 7.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I switched to Windows 8, made it look and navigate like Windows 7. Pleased with the results. Not like I'm going to use Windows 8 through my TechNet account at work, so I used it for myself.
    TotalChaos and syeef say thanks.
  7. Pieces

Pieces New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried the beta for a few hours :eek:

I"m back on windows 7 :D
  8. syeef

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly what I did.
  9. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    You can literally make Windows 8 the same as Windows 7 in terms of GUI.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

After getting Start8 you should have zero reason to go back to Windows 7 unless you must have Aero.

Windows 8 has a lot of Kernal improvements under the hood, and its more secure.
  10. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I tryed windows 8 again over the weekend untill it decided my cpu only has 3 cores so now back to windows 7
  11. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Ditto here. Stardock's Start8 program was the best $5 I've spent in the last decade. Only one of my newer laptops came with Windows 8, every other rig I use is a combo of WinXP/Vista/Win7/Mint depending on how old the system is and what it's used for.

I actually tried to downgrade the laptop(HP ENVY6 - 1129wm) to Windows 7 because I had a copy of it on hand, but I had trouble with drivers and HP is only listing drivers for Windows 8 - 64bit. The video drivers are even wonkier. Can't go directly to AMD and download/auto-detect the latest driver for my laptop...have to wait on HP. The video card is a 7600g.

Best,

LC
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Who need a start menu. Its faster without. I can get anywhere with less chicks then with a start menu
  13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Got to use it on my moms laptop (since it came with it). First impression wasn't nice. Had updating issues, then as I was going through its repair options and features it slowly dawned on me. I realized just how nice it was.

Now Its on my main desktop and I love it :)

Won't be going back. Could use some improved creative drivers, but I assume that will happen with time.

I don't even miss the classic start menu. The metro one is the same but it just takes up the whole screen space which is actually better. You get to view more and switching back is just the click or button it took to get there. It really isn't a hassle.
  14. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I'm pleased with Windows 8, especially now that crunching on it is stable for me.

Regarding Metro UI, I actually do use it once in a while, it being quicker (just what Jester said).

The few initial problems were overcome by throwing in a few shortcuts for shut down/restart/sleep, and since that, it's been easy going.

Surprisingly, running Win 8 with 7970 crossfire and running dual monitors with different resolutions, and I don't have any issues to report..... yet ;)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  15. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I tried it on my laptop twice and gave up both times and put windows 7 back on. 2 weeks ago i thought i'd have another go so i put it back on, I've only used it a little so far, but it doesn't seem to be crashing as much and more. I put start8 on it as i don't have a touch screen, and i rely on my start button quite a lot.

I m annoyed that they removed the start button all together with no option to enable it forcing you to spend more money for what should have been included. But, so far, this third try, i am starting to like it more.

I'm not sure i am ready for it on my main PC, maybe after a year or 2.
  16. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Tried the beta for Windows 8 just to give it a shot and it was even worse than I ever possibly imagined (and I imagined it would be bad)

I wouldn't touch that pile of poo with a 200 foot pole if someone offered me a thousand bucks to do so. Made me want to freaking punch something everytime I used my computer.

Windows 7 for me.
  17. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Heck, for $1,000 I'd even try OS X :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Haha well it was hyperbole, though I honestly don't think I could use Windows 8 permanently even if I were offered $1000... I just couldn't get any work done on that OS and within 10 minutes of using it I was on a rant in my head about how someone at M$ should have lost their job over this-or-that boneheaded design decision.

It's my least favorite desktop OS I've ever used, by a large margin (that honor used to belong to some of the older versions of OS X that were pretty bad IMO)...
  19. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    But they didn't really remove it? They moved it and made it bigger. Instead of the button taking space on the bottom its hidden in the corner. Once you know its there its there and isn't going anywhere. Then instead of having menus pop out to the side you get a whole screen detected to the Start. Once your done you pop your mouse back to the corner and your on your desktop or you can just hit the desktop. I can understand the frustration from the start (I had it too) but once you learn those basics I can't see how it can still be frustrating.
  20. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    The best analogy I can think of for Windows 8 is that it's a bit like DOS - you have to memorize a whole bunch of unintuitive things and then once you do, you're fine.

However, Microsoft has been showing us ever since at least Windows 95 that you can build a Windows OS that is intuitive and does NOT require extensive memorization to use. Apple has been doing the same thing. Windows 8 is a HUGE step backwards in this regard.
  21. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Dude knowing the Start menu is hidden in the corner does not equal extensive memorization. If remembering that is straining you how are you even using a PC? Regardless hitting the Windows key takes you to the start menu like it always has. And keeping it hidden in the bottom left corner where the start menu has been since 95 is also pretty self explanatory.
  22. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Can you change the icon with start8? That skewed window design is a terrible idea for an icon because of the aliasing at that res.
  23. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    It's about a lot more fundamental boneheaded design decisions than it is just the decision to change the start menu. In every way, Windows 8 just screams "M$ can't decide if I should be for desktops or for tablets". It's the most schizophrenically designed OS ever made.

While I don't agree with everything in this video (and I have some gripes this video doesn't mention), I think it's a generally on the mark critique of Windows 8:

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation - YouTube
    animal007uk says thanks.
  24. Ryrynz New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I think that guy in the video was highly exaggerating the problems. I had problems at first before I installed classicshell(equivilent) but nothing like he talks about.
    Crunching for Team TPU