1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How many times can a genuine Vista key be used?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by HookeyStreet, Dec 7, 2007.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    and on how many PC's?
  2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    If it has the same hardware and system name, unlimited. If it's different hardware, just the once, AFAIK.
  3. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, not sure, but it does warrant an investigation. Can you please send me the key in question so I may examine it in detail. :D

Just kiddin!

Hey, it was worth a try. :D

Seriously, it depends. Is it OEM or a retail license?
  4. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    put it this way, I purchased the OEM version, and using the automated phone reactivation you can use it on a totally different computer, as long as u say its just the 1 computer, so u can re use it a billion times i.e. unlimited

I have changed mobo, hdd's etc and reactivated no less that a dozen times, reactivation is a piece of pie, and simply unlimited as long as its just "your" pc
  5. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Ever since they brought in that automated telephone reactivation you can finally upgrade your system with an oem version of XP/Vista without being told to bugger off and get a new copy. I was pleased that Microsoft decided to do this, plus it only takes about 4 minutes in total to activate Windows!
  6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    it is "supposed" to be for one computer only but as mentioned you will be able to reactivate it as many times as you want to but this will require doing it over the telephone every time except the very first activation (this will tip you off if you buy an oem cd and need to activate by phone it means that the key has already been activated on another computer).

i have done 2 new builds (this OS is on its 3rd computer), numerous upgrades, and occassional reformating due to viruses and reinstalled my OS about a dozen times already. it is a time consuming pain going through MS each time but thats the way it is.

if asked why your reinstalling just say you had to replace a bad hard drive, dont say anything about the cpu or motherboard or it may make them ask more questions (saying you replaced these major components could cause them to say you need a new key).
  7. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    the automated phone service is better, takes a few minutes, just very easy ;)