1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How much am I gonna have to spend for a good WC kit?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ShadowFold, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I kind of want to start water cooling but I have no idea where to start. But first I need to know how much a good set is gonna cost me. Im just gonna be WC my CPU, no GPU.

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    like 120-250 depending on the performance you want.

3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Think 200$ is enough? How much more would it be for gpu cooling cause if I get a HD 4850 and I dont like the temps at all im gonna wc cool it but if the fan at 100% does ok then im good.

4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    once you have a full system, adding a gpu to the loop is a matter of paying for another block and some splitters.

blocks are like 30-70 depending on the performance you want, and then coolant can range from 2 dollar stuff all the up to 50 dollar non conductive uv reactive coolant, pumps are like 70-100 bucks, and a rad, depending on the size, is like 30-80 and higher for uber performance rads..

5. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    for a good setup i would say spend as much as you can afford, sure there are kits that can be had for $150 but be sure to research before you buy. everyone knows the best watercooling doesnt come in diy kits but is made up of a lot of different components which is often bought seperately, may cost more in the end but if you research and buy accordingly im sure you would be happier than being stuck with a substandard not much better than air cooled cheap water setup

6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    great stuff, swiftech is the only kit i would recommend, and the reason being is because swiftech makes some of the best stuff there, and bundling them into a nice kit really makes it a kick ass kit to get if you cant custom build.

ShadowFold says thanks.
  8. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I get that does the radiator have enough slots for a GPU hose thing? And how often would I have to refill the water?

9. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    refill the coolant when the level in the reservoir gets low, and the gpu can be added to the loop, and you should be fine with the rad, especcially if you only use a gpu coverage block and put on heatsinks instead of dumping a lot of vreg heat into the loop, for example, the mcw60 is a great block, and paired with the mcw8800, your gpu card will run nice and cool! just check for compatibility with the 4870..

ShadowFold says thanks.
  10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    That big two fan thing goes on the back 120mm fan slot right? Will it fit in my rig?
    [​IMG]

Or would I have to put it in the front of my case
    [​IMG]

Im thinking I could attach it to the drive bay cage.

11. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    you should be able to mount it to the front(if you cant, im sure it'd be a good time to break out the hacksaws!) , otherwise you can get a single 120mm radiator for the back.. or you can add it later if dual 120mm rad doesn't cut it.

ShadowFold says thanks.
  12. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if I buy a separate radiator then im gonna get everything else separate but im pretty sure it will fit in the front if I move the HDD bay up one slot.