1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How much difference a fan can make...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FAXA, Sep 9, 2007.

1. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Over the past few days I've done a little experiment on the actual impact of having 1x80MM intake fan at the front of the case. The results surprised me allot.

Test Setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ Stock speeds with stock cooler
    Geil 2GB DDR2 800mhz
    Inno3D nVidia 8800GTS 320MB OC'ed to 650mhz core, 1404mhz memory. Stock cooler.
    2x250GB SATA II HDDs
    520W Corsair HX PSU

Cooling: 1x120MM fan at the top back, 1x120MM fan at top front (in the drive bays), 1x80mm in the floppy drive bays.

I ran the PC for 24 hours without a bottom intake fan and recorded the results using Riva Tuner, and Speedfan then installed a 80mm fan at the front and recorded the results.

The results were as follows:

No fan:
    Average Core temp (GPU) = 69C
    Ambient Temperature = 52C
    CPU temp = 37C

With Fan:
    Average Core temp(GPU) = 58C
    Ambient Temperature = 46C
    CPU temp = 29C

Before the experiment I didn't think the impact would be as big, but it turns out that the fan worked wonders. The whole reason of me posting this is to just say...well...erm how important an intake fan is.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    the bottom 80mm fan is a brilliant idea, but unfortunantly its not widely used yet. the coldest air is under the case of course. the lexa has a mount and a filter for it but doesn't have the fan, but the cosmos does, its a sweet case, imma get it for my next build.

3. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    do you have open fan grills?

those rear fans mounted with just the holes punched out are very very restrictive and also will make fans noisier.

4. Demos_sav

Demos_sav New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a great temperature drop. But how can your 8800 be overclocked to 900 core? It's not possible

5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    so the 80mm was just inside the case? I figure its good to move the air around more inside the case aswell than just have the intake/exaust flow... side fan helps with that.

and yeah Demos he got a trypo I guess, I checked his dropdown system specs and his core is like 650.

6. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whoops...sorry 'bout the typo..:eek:

Anyways..I've got open fan grills, i did have holes but quickly changed them due to the fact it sounded like a 747 taking off..

7. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very interesting...

however, I would like to know to what extent did you control the load on the CPU and did you mimick the same load on the second run?

8. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I had running was nvidia control panel, Realtek HD audio manager, and aero. I tried to keep the load as consistent as possible through out the tests. But the day in which i had no fan was quite a hot day..and the other was raining so that probably affected the temps a bit.

9. TheShadowFL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fan Cooling

Having worked in an "Air Flow" lab years ago, I've got a good feeling for what it takes to keep things cool in a heated environment.

After loosing an IBM Deathstar drive to heat fatigue, several years ago, I set about developing my own system for keeping my 7200rpm drives COOL.

I finally settled on a cheap little two-fan cooler mounted under the drive with 1/4" spacers, to increase air flow and speed cooling.
    [​IMG]

Now, my HD stays at room temperature.

I was helping a friend set up his own "Cool" computer. He got a bit carried away.
    [​IMG]

But hey, it stays cool now.....and it's pretty!
    The left side panel is clear Plexiglas and the red fan is mounted in it.

With the cooler attached, his only place to put his HD was in the bottom of the case.
    I've done that myself many times and it works great.

Keeping the computer up off of the floor so it doesn't just sit there sucking dirt, helps too.

I hope y'all enjoy the pic's.

Shadow :cool:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    And the ones at the front too :).