1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How much does room temp affect CPU temp?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kantastic, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    My room is known to be colder than a refrigerator in the winter, the next coldest place in the house would be the freezer, maybe. I was wondering.. once the summer passes and spring/fall/winter is here, what kind of drops in CPU temps am I going to be seeing?

I'm asking because I'm debating between the Scythe 110CFM fan and the Xigmatek 61CFM fan. If I could get a break in worrying about high temps during the other 3 seasons of the year then I'm going to choose aesthetics(Xigmatek) over performance(Scythe) and reconsider a higher performance fan next summer.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    take your CPU at load and subtract the ambient room temp....lets say a 15*C difference between the two. It isnt exactly linear, but very close no matter the ambient.
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the cooler and the processor.

With this quad core and cooler I'm about 15 degrees above ambient room temperature at the moment ( core temps)

How ever my E5200 downstairs ( with freezer 7 pro) is about 20-25 c above ambient ( the e5200 also runs at 3ghz)