1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how much of page file size should I use?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ubuntusario, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    I currently have 8GB of page file which I think is extremely high (is currently on automatic pagefile), I use to have 1GB on windows xp with 2GB of ram, now I have 8GB of ram so I'm thinking why does the pagefile is that much higher. and I know pagefile is slow so.

I want to improve performance on my computer as it takes a long time to load windows and it takes as much to load opera (8secs) on my 3.4 phenom II then my athlon-xp which I think is an insult.
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Minimum is 1024mb i think, mine is set to that as i have 16gb ram
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've been manually setting mine to 2GB since before XP had service packs.

i think recently i ran out of page file playing SC2 (then again, i run two browsers 24/7 with 50+ tabs each), so i'd suggest between 2-4GB, with min and max set to the same number.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I run 4096mb fixed, I feel that is a good balance but it's a personal preference really.
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Paging used to be a major issue for Windows as of XP and older (Unsure of vista) I just know in Windows 7 it doesnt have to be adjusted especially when you have that amt of memory, I can understand it being adjusted if you have less than 1 GB of ram. So Leave it alone and let windows do its thing