1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How much smoke does it take to make stuff all nasty and sticky?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by hat, Aug 10, 2010.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Having turned 18 back in June, I recently took up smoking cigars. In fact, thus far I've smoked 4 cigars, various sizes, flavors and such (I liked the Oliveros Vodka Cranberry the best out of all of them). I don't intend to smoke a lot, as cigars are quite expensive for a good one ($4.30 for the aforementioned Oliveros Vodka Cranberry), and I don't want to make a habit out of this either.

Assuming very casual cigar smoking, talking one a week tops, is this going to cause smoky, sticky dust buildup in my computer (and my house fans as well)?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Er.

I don't want to phrase this too strongly as I have only just been 'unbanned'.

......but do you even have two marbles to rub together in your head?

Smoking is something that people do because they took it up at an age or at a time when nobody knew any better and can't stop because nicotine is one of the most addictive substances in the world.

Never mind the build up fo tar on your computer components, I wouldnt even want to walk into your room due to the permanently rancid stink in the air.
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I doubt there's going to be a permanant rancid stench around here (or any health issues) from one cigar a week, tops. It's not like I'm smoking two packs of cigarettes a day (won't even touch those things). Both my parents were heavy smokers, and I agree with you, it's a disgusting habbit, but I'm not smoking a cigarette every 20 minutes like what you seem to think.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TechPowerDown Guest

unfortauntly, i have to agree with matthecat, i wouldn't worry about your computer to much, other than it'll smell like cigars for a few years unless you switch cases, as for your body's computer (A.K.A. your brain) do some research, it only takes the nicotine of one cigar/cigarette to become addicted. plus if you buy 1 cigar per week per month per year, in a year, you'd be spending $206.40 ($4.30 a week multipled by 4 weeks a month multiplied by 12 months), wouldn't you want to put that towards crunching or folding power and saving people from cancer? insted of spening money towards causing it?

final verdict, worry about your self, before your computer, and i hope you make a good choice of at least savin some money.

good luck man :toast:
  5. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    MatTheCat +1

Yeah I would also worry about addiction and health more than sticky case dust.
    I was smoking between 1-2 packs of cigaretes a day most of my live and I quit 2.5 years ago and it was not easy. So be smart.
    On topic I cigar a day wont mess up your case. But that is the starting number wont stay at that for long trust me.
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm talking one cigar per week tops, which is a pretty big overestimation... I don't have any income (yet... been looking for a part time job), just a small chunk of money I've saved up over the years in birthday money and such. The last thing I'm going to do with it is blow it all on cigars. I just smoked one today, and it will be the last one for a while. The last thing this is going to be is an addiction I spend thousands on a year to feed. I don't have that kind of money to throw away, nor the desire of health complications as a result of constant smoking.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Moved the smoking to general Nonsense... pretty much cause thats what it is!
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I feel it belongs in general hardware because my question had to do with hardware.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Your question is about the effects of cigar smoking on general hardware, cigar smoking being the prime topic thread contributors are talking about :D
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    As such, my thread was derailed and I didn't get a clear answer on the origional topic. I've already been through the "smoking is bad mkay" talk, and I've seen it all for myself already, enough to judge for myself without being scolded about the adverse effects. The conclusion I came to is smoking cigarettes, espically in the typical 1-2 packs a day volume is ridiculous, yet smoking a cigar (something that has a little more to it than a tube filled with 500+ chemicals and tobacco supercharged with nicotene to keep you hooked) every once in a great while (again, one a week was an over-exaggeration) isn't harmful. All things in moderation.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Ok, to answer your question, It would take lots of cigar smoke to clog up your system, if you smoke just one cigar a week your PC will probably never have any adverse effect, if you become addicted and smoke more I would be more concened with the health aspect as large cigars ....

a. Have no filter
    b. Contain about the equivilent of 20 cigarettes in tar and carbon Monoxide (the stuff that kills you).

At that point I would also be more concerned about the effect the smoke was having on my decor, remembering hot air rises so providing your PC is not on stilts it should not be too bad, you can always help by opening windows and having good ventilation, that would help your health also!
    hat says thanks.
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I got plenty of ventalation and open windows. Thanks for the first post that actually adressed my question.

That one I had tonight was the last one I had, it will be a while before I get another.
    Crunching for Team TPU