1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How much will the i3 4150 bottleneck a GTX 770?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Heavenz, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Heavenz

Heavenz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello Everyone,

I ordered a GTX 770 and an i3 4150 a couple days ago, the package is almost here but now Im kind of worried about how it will perform.

Do you guys think the i3 will bottleneck it by much?

Specs:

- i3 4150

- ASRock H97 ITX

- Corsair Vengeance 8GB Ram (2x4GB)

- 1 TB WD BLUE

- Rosewill Capstone 550W

- Obsidian 250D

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Most well rounded games won't see much of a bottleneck, it's the poorly optimised port/early access/generally badly coded ones that will sometimes cause a bit of stutter due to 2c/4t. I'm relatively certain you won't see issues unless you're playing Star Citizen or Crysis 3 or something (Metro 2033/Last Light is another good example of how to slaughter an i3)

3. Heavenz

Heavenz New Member

Thanks Received:
    But I would still be able to maintain 60 fps on lets say high - ultra settings on CPU bound games right?

4. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I don't think anyone can get 60FPS in Total War to this day. That is the most CPU bound game I'm aware of. Point is, per core performance is excellent regardless, it's the games that are semi-cpu heavy, but can use up to 8 threads that would struggle in some cases.

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    It will be okay but let me say it this way. Latter on an upgrade to a i5 will see an improvement well worth the $

Heavenz says thanks.
  6. Heavenz

Heavenz New Member

Thanks Received:
    So for example if I played Total War would it be unplayable for me?

Yeah I plan on doing that, but I really can't spend more money atm. Maybe by Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  7. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Nah, you'd be just as screwed as everyone else! It's not as bad as I make it out to be, but its pretty hard to maintain anything close to 60FPS in that game. It's perfectly playable, but people who want Ultra+60FPS will get irritated. Most other games will be fine.

Heavenz says thanks.
  8. Heavenz

Heavenz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thank you very much :D

9. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    In something like Crysis 3, no it won't maintain 60FPS at all times*. The level "Welcome to the jungle" absolutely hammers the CPU (the grass in particular is a heavy burden). Even at 5888x1080 I still noticed an improvement going from a 4C/4T CPU to a 4C/8T CPU.

My laptop for example (GTX780M/4700MQ) shows 90-99% CPU utilisation across all eight threads in this level.

*Ignoring of course that the 770 itself won't be able to maintain this level of framerate at max setting in crysis 3 anyway.

Most other non RTS games should be fine however.

I would say though, moving to at least a 4C/4T CPU would be beneficial from a "future proof" point of view (in the the sense of the lifespan of the system itself).

10. Heavenz

Heavenz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will upgrade to an i5 as I have said above but not now, I know I wont get 60 fps on max settings in crysis 3, that game just eats gpus for lunch, my doubt was if games could become unplayable because of the i3.

I could say RCoon has alleviated some of that doubt I had, but still would appreaciate if anyone else could leave their opion on this topic :D

11. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    total war murders even the beastliest systems crysis 3 is poorly optimized
    is the i3 going to be a bottle neck ? : yes
    will it render any title unplayable: no it wont

12. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you will have much of an issue. I also wouldn't be worried about getting 60fps+ in a single player game either. And yeah, you won't get 60fps in Crysis 3 even if you had an i5/i7. I beat Crysis 3 with a GTX680 which is the same as a 770, and don't think it touched 60fps. Played the game right around 40fps IIRC.