1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How should I "install" a new video card?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MikeJeng, Sep 23, 2008.

1. MikeJeng

MikeJeng New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ordered a BFG 9800GX2 (for a cheap price ;)) IT isn't here yet, but I wanted to know how I should install it. It's actually my first real upgrade without rebuilding a PC... so the only thing I'm changing is my video card. I'm also going to give my 9800GTX to my dad since his 8800 broke.
    Should I uninstall all my 9800GTX drivers? My concern with this is that it will disable all the 3D effects on Vista (x64) and might mess something up. I haven't had Vista long enough to know how things work. Can somebody give me step by step instructions?

2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Well first of all make sure the pc is off :p

Then disconnect all the power cables and discharge the power by turning it on without being connected to the socket.

Make sure you don't damage the card when putting it. I.e static can ruin the card completely

Make sure you connect the power connectors for the card in properly, They should light up green if they are in.

I would reinstall drivers just in case. It won't mess up the vista 3d stuff so don't worry about that.

Thats all I can think off atm.

MikeJeng says thanks.
  3. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    First - download the latest drivers from nvidia's website.

Next, uninstall the drivers to your previous card, then shut down. Unplug the power to your power supply and wait 30 seconds (or until the motherboard light goes off.)

Touch the metal case or the back of the psu before touching any hardware. This helps to avoid a static shock which can damage hardware.

Pull the card out, put the new one in with the correct power cables plugged in, start up and run the installer you downloaded from nvidia.

It's that simple :)

4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Do as the manual says.

5. MikeJeng

MikeJeng New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you explain the discharge? I've never heard of anything like that. Also, will latex gloves help prevent static shocks?

6. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as you don't move around on carpet much while touching your computer you should be alright. But always, always, always (get the emphasis) ground yourself (touch the metal/aluminum part of your case) BEFORE you touch any hardware - that includes video card, motherboard, cpu-cooler, hardrives, etc. This will make sure you don't shock anything.

I don't see the need for latex gloves. And as for the vista graphics, the worst thing you will have to do it re-run the test that, well tests your computer (the one that gives your system a rating). I had to do this when I upgraded to a 4870.

7. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mike, static discharge can zap your components. Read my post and follow my instructions. DrPepper fails to mention uninstalling your old drivers and gives no indication as to how to get rid of your static charge.

When you're in a position to work on the computer, simply touch the back of the power supply firmly, or some place on the metal case. Just be sure to not touch the hardware first. Touching the metal case or back of the psu helps to get rid of any possible static charge you've built up from walking across some carpet or something.

oh btw - latex gloves would add to your static charge, not get rid of it. When have you picked up a balloon that didn't make your hair tingle? lol

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
    MikeJeng says thanks.
  8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    1. Uninstall all video drivers using the add/remove componets in the control panel.

2. Shut the computer down and turn the power supply off, but do not unplug the cable, this will ensure that the case is still grounded. Press the power button several times to discharge the system.

3. Touch the side on the case, then remove the old video card

4. Install the new video card.

5. Turn the power supply back on and boot to windows, then install the graphics drivers.

MikeJeng says thanks.
  9. MikeJeng

MikeJeng New Member

Thanks Received:
    I broke my finger and I have this metal thing there (right hand, in between pinky and middle finger) Will this affect anything?

10. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it covered or out in the open? It shouldn't affect anything.

11. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  12. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Dude I did mention uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

Anyway static will damage your components e.g. the circuit board. I believe its like adding a current and it would short the circuits on it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  13. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    This. :toast:

14. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    The order of instructions was wrong. I mean, if someone asks how to install a video card you gotta be pretty straight forward and not assume they know to uninstall the drivers prior to taking the old card out.

15. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I've installed graphics cards loads of times and never shorted them, As long as you don't try force the graphics card into somewhere it shouldn't be it won't break.

Logically he would read the instructions before attempting it. I'm going to stop bickering now its childish.

16. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no bickering going on, sorry if you feel there is. I wasn't questioning your ability to install a video card, I just wanted to make sure the op understood the instructions in order, clearly.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
    DrPepper says thanks.
  17. MikeJeng

MikeJeng New Member

Thanks Received:
    No need to argue over this, both of you were helpful. I think I know what to do now.
    BTW Tigerdirect's shipping is SLOW.