1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to benefit from a RAMDisk? What are the most disk-intensive things to do?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by n-ster, Feb 7, 2011.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Apart from temporary folders, what could a RAMdisk (of 1GB~8GB) be useful for? What disk-intensive things could you use the RAMdisk for?

I mean, I've tried a few things like browser + temp folder etc. Also tried stuff like photoshop, Adobe illustrator, Office. Also tried games. But I was wondering if there is a better way to utilize my little bit of extra RAM (I have 12GB of RAM). Perhaps all of my smaller apps?

Keep in mind I'd like to keep at least 4GB of RAM out of the RAMdisk, so a total of 8GB RAMDisk is fine (I bought the Dataram RAMDisk).
  2. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    honestly, that's probably it. it'd be a little differnet if your computer never shut off or rebooted - then you could set it to act as a small hdd. but thats impractical with the average desktop computer. reboots and shutdown are simply a way of life.
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind putting it to sleep instead of shutdown. Besides, Dataram RAMDisk has this thing that it can back up your data every XX minutes and would load it bac to the RAMDisk on startup if I ever accidentally shut it off
  4. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    then install your most commonly used programs on it. thats about the extent of what you'd be able to do. if u had something cray like 24GB of ram you can install 1 or 2 games on it. that would be epic!