1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To Block Facebook

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by char[] rager, Feb 22, 2011.

1. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Computer Sc
    Is there a way to block facebook in a way that even if somebody used a proxy, they would not be able to access the website?
  2. LGV

LGV New Member

Thanks Received:
    Step 1. Explore C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
    Step 2. Look for a file named as hosts, then open it with Notepad.
    Step 3. At the bottom of the file, add the line as shown below:
    127.0.0.1 www.blockingsite1.com
    We have just shown you www.blockingsite 1.com as example only, replace it with the actual URL so that they are inaccessible to all.
    Step 4. Simultaneously if you have more websites that would like to be blocked, just press Enter and repeat step 3 to add additional URL until all desired websites are added. Now make “Enter” at the last line of the UR
    Step 5. Save and close the file.
    After doing the above formalities all websites that you have entered will be blocked with immediate effect. Definitely this theory will help you to prevent certain websites from being accessed by your kids or anybody else for any reason.
    char[] rager says thanks.
  3. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's not going to stop a proxy. If you want to stop someone proxying you'd have to block their proxy server(s).

The only way I figure you could do it (without knowing what proxy server(s) they're using) is with deep packet inspection on the client computer (in case they're using encryption).

Any decent gateway server should allow you to block the codeen network and other common proxy servers/services (like Tor). Still not 100% perfect, but it's probably easier to implement than deep packet inspection.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  4. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Also for oneself LGV. Every day that passes more sites use 'fecalbook' to autologin for comments, 'likes', sharing, etc... it is a monstrosity.
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is no 100% way to censor the internet without massively affecting the user experience.

block all incoming and outgoing traffic on all ports, put a transparent proxy on port 80, put some filtering rules into your proxy that let it detect the facebook page layout and block that
    Mussels and char[] rager say thanks.
  6. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured that proxies would be a problem. I have already tried that method LGV, and it was only a temporary fix. If the user would use Google Chrome, they were able to access facebook normally...
  7. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    I'm working in a french public non profit association and have to monitor the activities over 10 computers, 4 of which are totally free of use to anyone passing by (including young boy and girls, from 7 to 30 y.o)

I'm currently using OPENDNS free services to do the job and it's working great.

Once you have created a free opendns account and installed their IP auto-updater (set to autostart and run hidden), you'll have to set the primary and secondary DNS servers of the targeted computer(s)to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Then you'll be free to accept / deny access to specific areas from your LAN(s), such as p2p sites, social networking sites, adult themes, etc.....

As an admin of your own mini opendns network, you'll be informed by email of every attempts to browse forbidden sites.

you also have the possibility to add specific domain names to your permanent blacklist. Changes are almost instantaneous (3 minutes to mirror the changes throughout the opendns structures across the world) :rockout:

Give it a try !
  8. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will definitely give that a try.

Edit: Does changing the primary/secondary DNS servers of my computer to those numbers affect anything, like performance?
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    my router will let you block based off of certain terms i blocked the word "facebook" and that worked pretty well
  10. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    Never noticed any performances degradation, their dns servers are reliable, they can even block wellknown fraudulant / fishing sites BEFORE you get redirected to them inadvertantly (that's a big + )

control over your own network(s) for free, provides a decent level of protection against malicious attacks, i don't know where's the catch but i'm working on it :)
  11. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    When it tells me to choose my router brand, I select Motorola and it tells me which ip address to visit in order to change my dns. However, whenever I go to that ip address, it takes forever to load and then nothing shows up?
  12. twilyth Guest

I don't really know squat about networking but here's the idea I had - might be shit, might not - let me know.

Is there anyway to block JUST the facebook sign-on boxes? If they can't sign into facebook, that would severely limit it's usefulness right? Note: I use the term "usefulness" very loosely.
  13. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    just dl and install untangle free edition, it's like websense and works pretty wel.