1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to bring GPU back.

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by TheMailMan78, Sep 20, 2009.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    We don't need games. We need news and solid reviews. In the end however the market might be over saturated. I'm starting to see W1zz's side of the fence on this one. TPU works because of his work on his programs. No one here is to his level in the gaming industry. I'm not brown nosing but its just fact.

I'm a gaming historian but that means jack comparatively speaking.
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    well how do you do reviews if you dont have the games? wait till release? what about the other sites that released them before you got back from walmart? know what i mean? and i think some of it might be w1zz expects more than people are willing to give...but i also think alot of GPU's main problem is that their is a set template for this "level" i mean we would need to be drastically diffirent.....and to do that we need to come up with our own way....the problem is how what when why? ya know...im not disagreeing really just adding diffirent perspective.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that I see that hasn't been done is what I suggested. A community review. TRUE feedback on a product without a biased twist that all game reviews have. Sure other sites might review the game first but GPU would be the only site that would have the review of the population. Not just an early adopter.

Who cares if your the first to drive a car if your sponsor is Chevy? We want to know what the real deal is on consumer reports. Get my drift? Our overall review would be the score deveopers would go after. We could leave Metacritic in the dust if this was done properly.
  4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if you had multiple reviews of one game that would be a cool twist. Not poor reviews, but like 10 guys who review the game, come together, and do one article. An unbiased review. Cause each guy would have his own background, be it FPS's, or RTS's or whatever.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like that a lot and it's different. Getting 10 copies of a game before launch would be quite difficult to do I'm assuming.
  6. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    And in addition, everyone has to complete the game, which is no easy task without energy drinks and willpower. Think about reviewing Oblivion... yeah that would have been fun all right... OMG only 200 hours to go.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This would require far to much communication between to many people. IMO. One person should do the review on a game and the community should follow up with its individual scores.
  8. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Yeah sounds difficult, I was just trying to think outside the box though.
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Why not handle the official reviews like what was suggested here (a cummulative scoring/review system): http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1560937&postcount=26

Maybe even Wiki-style would be good. Of course, the ability to contribute would only be given to those who are allowed. Maybe no public registrations for it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Ok here is what I would do:

We have a few main reviewers. Their purpose is to write the review of the game.
    We have secondary reviewers. When AND if they get the game, they review it, and it gets added to the article. Each secondary reviewer will have a profile, what games they liked in the past, their system specs, etc, and then each reader can kinda identify with that reviewer. That way we don't have a guy who thinks Hello Kitty Island Adventure is the best game ever reviews GTA4 and says it is too violent. Or maybe someone does identify with that guy who like Hello Kitty and wants to see what he has to say about GTA4... You get the idea.
    Zehnsucht says thanks.
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think the mood of the reviews should be casual. Most game reviews I've seen are written for a press--every word parsed so thoroughly, every reviewer comes across as a robot. They lack personality, instead, favoring professionalism.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    That's writing style, we don't have to write that way. We can even edit to make it sound more "chill."
  13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Care to share where you get all your unreleased hardware?
  14. Zehnsucht

Zehnsucht New Member

Thanks Received:
    I fully agree with both of you.
    Having a "background profile" with items such as:
    • Childhood memorable game/s
    • Most played game/s
    • Top five personal favorites (with motivation)
    would make it really easy to relate to the reviewer.

"Secondary reviewers" could have a more relaxed style, while the "primary reviewers" goes more in depth and make cross references all over the place. A long long long time ago I was a secondary reviewer for a gaming site (I can't even remember the name by now). It was fun but took up a lot of time. But I might be interested in contributing to a new and upcoming community.

In addition, I think that GPU shouldn't use a numerical scoring system for games. It is always hard to quantify how good a game is, especially when you use the system to compare it to other. It's a lot more rewarding to have a bottom line and '+' / '-' aspects of a game and see if you think the pro's and con's suit your particular gaming style.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  15. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Definitely agree with all this. You have all the facts from the game, yet the writing style as if you are chatting
    with a friend about it. I may also be interested in contributing to this.
  16. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    I think that is an excellent idea that no other sites offers at the minute, BUT i agree with others that you will get anti FPS, Racing games etc just slating them for the hell of it because they dont like the genre. I personally dont like flight simulator as i find them quite boring, but others really enjoy the game, so would be great to get a review from all angles. We could have a Rep value to each member to stop the 'idiots' posting maybe.
    Also a rating to each members review and the higher the rating on the further up the page they are. The idea of having a profile for each user to identify what games they play and enjoy is a great idea and give people an idea of games they play.

Reefer
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009