1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to Diagnose a dead board

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Nitro-Max, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Ok thought id write this up as so many people build computers go to boot up for the 1st time and run into problems..

Ive been building computers for a long time now and consider this good solid advice.

Always make shure before you boot for the first time that theres no loose screws that may have fell laying around in the case!! and everything is fitted and wired correctly.

Make shure the internal speaker is connected THIS IS IMPORTANT! some boards come with the speaker already built onto the board and doesnt require any wireng up.

Listen for bleeps one bleep means everything checks out and is working this is good!!

If you get more than one bleep or long bleeps dont panic this also is good in a way because it means the boards doing its job fine and has located an error on somthing else then its down to checking things are seated correctly or wired correctly and down to removal of faulty or incompatable hardware and trying new. Its very rare that cpu's turn up faulty but it can happen you might have even put it in wrong even a badly cooled cpu shouldnt stop a board from booting even for a few seconds till the overheat protecton kicks in.

If you boot up and hear no bleeps at all even if the fans might be spinning this doesnt mean to say the board works fine as this isnt always the case.

If you have been unfortunate to get no bleeps at all and all the wiring is correct and the speaker is connected correctly then things are NOT looking good.
    More often than not this means the boards at fault as even with no hardware attached you should get some sort of bleep error message my advice in this case would be to try clearing Cmos if that doesnt work then try another psu as that is the only thing connected that could be at fault other than that its DEAD.

pack it up and rma it.

This is basically the rules ive always worked by theres been times when ive had to wire and test dozens of used boards at a time with various specs to test them for life and if im confident that they are wired correctly and i dont hear any bleeps then it normally goes streaght in the trash.

Hope this helps people new and old to pc building its all in the bleeps bleeps are everything.:laugh:

fenurch says thanks.
  2. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    The "bleeps bleeps" way, its not the best way .... To tell dead or not .

Some boards needs new Bios or older CPU type , or special ram configuration , based on the chip set and ram controller .

So "bleeps bleeps" its just one possible way for diagnosis , for the ones who does not have proper tools .

Nitro-Max says thanks.
  3. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    The bleeps work regardless of bios type you dont need any hardware installed to test a board works it will simply throw up error bleeps showing its working.

No bleeps at all is the biggest worry.

12 years of pc building and this has always proved true.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  4. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats your proof ?

Amateur ways , its good for amateurs ... this is what i have to say.

5. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    I am going to take Nitro-Max's view on things, as from my experience he is correct and seems the better option to trust :)

Nitro-Max says thanks.
  6. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no race here .... All motherboards comes with a book .

The serious troubleshooter , has more ways to solve issues , than what the book says.

7. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Understood, I just think Nitro-Max provided some strong and quality ways of testing weather a motherboard is dead or not and backed up his ways of thinking, which he intended to provide too others, so I say well done Sir. :toast:

Nitro-Max says thanks.
  8. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm interesting point of view ...

Do not forget to thanks ASUS - MSI - ABIT and the other makers ,
    they provide the books , to all too .

9. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    And we pay for them

10. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Nice guide. I just used it to diagnose my kn9 neo v3 and it is indeed dead :( no beeps.

11. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    Ive not built a pc for 10-12 years, since the days of the old MMX pentiums.

Im gonna be doing my i7 in a week, this is a useful advice to remind me on what to look for.

12. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:

Unless you buy openbox and only get mobo:mad:

Good advice-Nitro-Max

13. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    That's the absolute basics. If a board doesn't boot, POST or bleep with a known working PSU, your board is very likely dead.

Might I add to connect as few peripherals as possible: no HDD, no CD, no RAM or 1 known working stick, just onboard VGA or some old working PCI graphics card. Using as little other things as possible will give the most likeliness of a correct diagnosis.

I actually miss my PC speaker... gonna fabricate one out of a small speaker soon.

14. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    Does the PC still beep if the CPU is dead?

or possibly damaged.

Ive had a damaged CPU, it used to constantly crash and reset whilst installing xp.

15. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I recall right no, a friend of mine has an Athlon XP+Asrock K7VM2 mobo and we cannot prove what of both dead (due to lack of parts) but the PC started (all fans spin) and do absolutely nothing, tried changing the RAMs and PSU but still did the same, I think the mobo was death, but who knows, maybe was the CPU....in the end I keep both (now collecting dust) and build a new rig to my friend.

Also having bad installed (not placed firmly) PCI cards could bring an unbootable PC.