1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to double internet speed on same PC?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by vawrvawerawe, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I have two PCs next to each other. Both get 50 Mbps download speed at the same time. I look at both and both reach 50 Mbps for a combined total of 100 Mbps at the same time.

Now, how do I get 100 Mbps download speed on just one PC using two networking cards?

Anyone who says "it's not possible" has no idea what they are talking about. Because it IS POSSIBLE, I am looking at 100Mbps in front of my very eyes right now, just across two PCs on the same network connected to the same router using the same modem connected to the same ISP which gives 50 Mbps download speed, yet I am looking at 100 Mbps happening right in front of my eyes.

Note: using 1 monitor, 1 motherboard, 1 pc, two cards.

Note: Whereas it would be difficult to get 100Mbps on ONE file on the same PC across two cards, I'm more interested in 2 x 50 Mbps on the same PC on two cards.

i.e. not download 4GB file at 100Mbps from two cards, way too complicated.
    More like two different 2GB or 4GB files on two different cards on the same physical machine.

Other things like virtual machines, etc. are fair game.

Possible Example:
    Run two virtual machines simultaneously each connected to a separate networking card. Download two separate files of 2GB on each.
    2GB downloads in 320 seconds at 50Mbps.
    2GB downloads in 160 seconds at 100Mbps.

So, whereas normally on one machine at sustained 50Mbps it would take 640 seconds to download two 2GB files (4GB total), well one two separate computers if you downloaded ONE 2GB file on each computer, your total time to download both files (4GB total) would be 320 seconds (HALF the time).

If two virtual machines could use two different cards at a sustained 50Mbps in the same way two PCs could download at 2 x 50Mbps (=100Mbps), THEN it means that you could download 4GB in only 320 seconds, NOT 640 seconds like it would have taken on one physical machine.​

Go.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    No, that's what's happening now on two PCs but I want to do it on one PC.

3. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    I realized that after posting.

What did you use, speedtest.net?

I'd be more interested to know if you started to download a large file on both computers and see if you are actually getting a sustained 100mbps. Speed should be limited by your ISP to your modem.

4. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Yes, sustained many hundred Mbps total over all the PCs on the home network (same router, same internet connection, same ISP).

5. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    How do you know this? What did you use to test?

Reason I ask is if one computer using at least a 100mbps wired adapter is only getting 50mbps, that is all your modem is giving it.

6. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    No, one gigabit router with 4 ethernet ports can send and receive 4 gigabits of data to four separate gigabit PC cards (given at least 1 gigabit ISP bandwidth of course, but that's beside the point).

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Read this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

router prioritizes what devices need the most bandwidth, ethernet uses 2 pairs to transmit data in a port/patch cable, your max connection speed is determined by the Service Provider. Service providers say up to said speed because there is no guarantee the quality of burried cable or even customer owned inside wiring.

MxPhenom 216 and AthlonX2 say thanks.
  8. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Dont be an asshole, he was trying to help. what are you using to test this connection speed? is it real world data or something like a network speedtest

v12dock, adulaamin, FX-GMC and 3 others say thanks.
  9. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    Where are you getting you speeds from? Is it from the network connections/properties - speeds? Have you used http://www.speedtest.net/ at the same time on both computers? Run speedtest and post your numbers there.

Then to answer your first question about doubling your speed using 2 network cards, the answer is no it will not work. Your computer will choose one or the other card for its comms to the internet nor will it share or double up the bandwidth between the 2. Your computer will want to show multiple network connections ie connection 1, 2 and 3 etc for how many ever connections but it will only use one.

AthlonX2 says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Testmy.net is a better measure of connectivity over fttn (copper to prem whether tr or coax)

flmatter says thanks.
  11. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    See I learn something everyday, a new place to test speeds. Mine was a toss up between speakeasy or speedtest. Thanks :)

More than 25k PPD
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Speakeasy and speedtest are the same. By the way the op has a 50 mbps connection and demands to make it faster. Unless youre willing to pay for enterprise class Ds3/Ds4, connection i think he is being a spoiled brat.

phanbuey and FX-GMC say thanks.
  13. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    wrong actually we dont have more than 50 here

14. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Well since you say you are seeing 50mbps on both PCs its obvious your using a speed test. Real world download speed would max out at 6.2 MB/s

FX-GMC says thanks.
  15. Bansaku

Bansaku

Thanks Received:
    +1 on this. Your speed will never exceed what the server is providing. Adding 2 or more ethernet cards will just enable flow control, not double the bandwidth.

16. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Seems he can't help himself.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...ng-bluray-or-flash.197952/page-3#post-3081410

Totally beside the point of my post. (LAN speeds do not equal WAN speeds.) Fail x3. Please keep making yourself look like an idiot.

"Tell me how I can get more speed than my ISP gives me?" Buy a faster connection. /thread

MxPhenom 216 and adulaamin say thanks.
  17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  18. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to wrap my head around your request. Are you trying to get 100MBPS from your ISP or on your local LAN? Also what are you paying for from your ISP in terms of bandwidth?

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    He's paying for 50mb, but when he uses a speed test on both computers at the same time, both report 50mbps because of aggregation. unfortunately OP isn't smart enough to realise two computers reporting 50mbps (because of aggregation) DOES NOT MEAN HE'S GETTING 100mbps. So he's trying to combine two ethernet ports into one machine to combine these two reports of 50mbps to create 100mbps. Unfortunately OP doesn't know how the internets work, and if you pay for 50mbps, adding ports doesn't incrementally increase his speed

To note, this is the same guy who asked about putting a PC inside a mineral oil tank, and then putting that tank inside a fish tank. He claims to be a web developer, and built a PC on here a year or so back, but I am dumbfounded as to how on earth he manages his job, let alone come up with fish tank PC ideas and "fooling" his ISP into giving him 100mbps bandwidth by using two ethernet ports.

20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Thanks coon! Yea you will not get over 50MBPS due to the fact you are QoS'd at 50 from the ISP service switch. Sorry :(

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    NANOMACHINES SON.

When I plug in two ethernet ports to my PC, why it no double bandwidth?

#ThanksObama

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  22. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    I started writing a long winded version of this and you beat me to the post :laugh:

I do like how he's posted insults in other threads than this, and then in this thread has put "Anyone who says "it's not possible" has no idea what they are talking about", clearly he should read up more on what he's trying to preach :rolleyes:

phanbuey, FX-GMC and RCoon say thanks.
  23. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Vaw..... I work for a ISP provider that uses the newest of FTTU/H and can provide 10GBPS and more soon... As a company we do give you some what of a burst speed but the CIR is 50 and thats what you pay for..

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    Don't tell him the secret that the more network cards he gets the more he increases his external bandwidth!

25. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU