• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to downgrade UEFI to previous Hybrid Bios - Gigabyte

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
*Disclaimer*
This may or may not work for your board and also MAY work for other board manufacturers but YMMV and I hold no responsibility if it bricks your board. AMIBIOS is what most gigabyte boards use.

Ok after a near crap experience tonight of wanting to test out gigabytes new UEFI bios for some Z68/P67 boards I wanted to go back to the regular bios. The new UEFI bios was nice but was missing things for OC like LLC, PLL overvolt, and offset voltages. The following steps I had gotten off My Digital Life.

freevista said:
I digged around, seems like there is no official way to flash it back to original hybrid bios. Except this Russian utility, try if you dare..

http://www.mediafire.com/?8zjilcl8ntc1m93 - Utility

http://www.mediafire.com/?1h4ar9ah1yz7c1e - Video

Source: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-613.html

1. First thing is to goto gigabyte and download the older bios you want
2. Next is to download the utility above (If link is dead PM me I will upload it for you)
3. After downloading, extract and find the version for your OS (Win or Win64)
4. Copy the folder to the root directory of your hard drive ( C:\ )
5. Extract your bios to this folder as well that you have copied to the root directory of your hard drive
6. Your bios should look like this "Z68XUD3H.F12" what you need to do is rename it to "1.rom"
7. Now goto CMD prompt and type without quotes "fptw.exe -f 1.rom" or "fptw64.exe -f 1.rom" whichever OS you have
8. Let it flash (takes like 2 minutes). Once its completes turn the PC all the way off and cycle power. At this point its fingers crossed to see if it made it.

TIP* this way of blind flashing only flashes the first bios so it is best that once you get back into the bios, run Qflash and reflash the bios you want so it does both bioses for safety.

Link to thread

UPLOADED THE FILE *11/27/2012*

Attachments

• BACK_2_AWARD.zip
    1 MB · Views: 4,942
Last edited:

brandonwh64

Just had a PM about this thread, Its quite helpful to those with the later gigabyte Z68 boards that got the transformation bios and does not like it.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Big thanks for bumping this as I tried to but it wouldn't let me as the thread was older than 145 days :rolleyes: :banghead:

I am going to try this now as I have the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board and the UF1 uefi bios is buggy as hell, conclusion to come (or if it doesn't and I don't post for a while my board is toast :eek: :laugh: )

Edit: Brandon can you upload the utlity to TPU instead of having to use that crapware download manager in the op?

brandonwh64

I would but I am at work and my work blocks mediafire.com
Once I get home I will upload for you guys.

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
I would but I am at work and my work blocks mediafire.com
Once I get home I will upload for you guys.

Did you download it from the links you posted and with their "download manager"? I will install it if needs must though would rather know it is safe and shitware free before installing it to download the utility :toast:

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
UPDATE FOR WIN 7 X64

Thanks to brandonwh64 for this guide however I had to tweak it slightly for Windows 7 x64 as follows:

2. Next is to download the utility above (If link is dead PM me I will upload it for you)
3. After downloading, extract and find the version for your OS (Win64 for Windows 7 x64)
4. Copy the contents of the folder to C:\Windows\System 32
5. Extract your bios to C:\Windows\System 32 folder also
6. Your bios should look like this "Z68XUD3H.F12" what you need to do is rename it to "1.rom"
7. Now search for CMD prompt from the start menu and right click to run as administrator then type without quotes "fptw64.exe -f 1.rom"
8. Let it flash (takes like 2 minutes). Once its completes turn the PC all the way off and cycle power. At this point its fingers crossed to see if it made it.

brandonwh64

UPDATE FOR WIN 7 X64

Thanks to brandonwh64 for this guide however I had to tweak it slightly for Windows 7 x64 as follows:

3. After downloading, extract and find the version for your OS (Win64 for Windows 7 x64)
7. Now search for CMD prompt from the start menu and right click to run as administrator then type without quotes "fptw64.exe -f 1.rom"

Did this method work for you? Also I uploaded the Zip to the OP now using my phone!

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Did this method work for you? Also I uploaded the Zip to the OP now using my phone!

It did when I changed the steps as outlined, also be sure to download the same bios you flash on to a USB drive then run the bios Qflash utility to flash the "dual" bios after you flash in Windows, as the method you posted only flashes the "main" bios.

Though now i have succesfully downgraded from uefi and I couldn't be happier as my stable 24/7 OC became unstable with the uefi bios and Gigabyte offered no way to downgrade to legacy :shadedshu

BTW all the kudos goes to you for the guide I just tweaked it though couldn't have done it without the OP :toast:

System Name Customised PC
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K O/C to 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Cooling Tower heatpipe cooler (lost details)
Memory 8Gig
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7700 (Silent, fanless)
Storage 2 x 180Gig SSDs and 1 x iTB Hitachi Videostar Hard Drive
Display(s) Dell S2440L 32ins Monitor 1920p
Case Mini ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Chip (All audio fed out to hi-fi system)
Power Supply SeaSonic X-400FL 400W Platinum Fanless Power Supply
Software Phot, Video and Audio related plus loads of other stuff
Benchmark Scores 7.4 Minimum (limited by Video card spec - I am not a gamer !)
Thank you BrandonWH64 ... Thank you ... Thank you ... :clap:

I have just successfully Downgraded from the Megatrends UEFI BIOS back to the Award F13 BIOS.

If anyone else is contemplating this ... ... I can offer a little clarification about the CMD prompt that may be helpful:

When I first opened the CMD prompt window it was showing C:\Users\Username ... and it was necessary to change the directory by entering "cd C:\ and pressing Enter. It was then possible to paste in your instructions, and all went well. (cd is a DOS command for changing directory)

The alternative instructions offered by NdMk2o1o: to place the files in C:\Windows\System32, will also work if the CMD prompt directory is changed to this location. If you have an "Elevated" command prompt it will open with this location, which is probably how NdMk2o1o came to choose it as an alternative.

Either way, will work as long as the command prompt is showing the directory address where the files have been placed.

I would also like to stress the importance of using the QBIOS option once you have accessed the Award BIOS to load the same BIOS again, this will overwrite remnants of the UEFI BIOS that may remain in the second of the Dual Bios chips. I failed to do this first time around and ended up back in the UEFI Bios, which restored itself to both chips ... ... and then I had to start all over again.

Once again ... Thank You !

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Does anyone know of ways to edit AMI Bios's, there was a dude here who did it for awhile, I would love to upgrade my boards BIOS with a few features that just aren't enabled in the stock BIOS.

Memory 8Gig
Case Mini ATX
It did when I changed the steps as outlined, also be sure to download the same bios you flash on to a USB drive then run the bios Qflash utility to flash the "dual" bios after you flash in Windows, as the method you posted only flashes the "main" bios.

Though now i have succesfully downgraded from uefi and I couldn't be happier as my stable 24/7 OC became unstable with the uefi bios and Gigabyte offered no way to downgrade to legacy :shadedshu

BTW all the kudos goes to you for the guide I just tweaked it though couldn't have done it without the OP :toast:

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings ... ... but I have had a problem with my downgrade:

Initially all was well, and I was really pleased to be back on the Award BIOS. But I started to have problems shutting down, (the PC woul;d restart). After this happened once or twice .... .... a "UEFI" BIOS, error message appeared "The BIOS has been corupted" .... and it proceeded to reload the UEFI BIOS (I don't know where from) ... ... and eventually the UEFI BIOS took over once more !

When I did the initial downgrade I put all the files in "system32" because I was using an "elevated" command prompt which starts with the System 32 address, but I now I wonder if this might have something to do with the reappearance of the UEFI.

So, this time I have put all the files in C drive, as per the original instructions. My thinking is that, maybe there are elements of the UEFI that are stored on drive C and these are removed when the downgrade program is run ... and maybe it has to be run in drive C in order to remove the UEFI.

Only time will tell ... ... ... and if I'm wrong, and that pesky UEFI raises it's head again , I will be wanting to know where the UEFI files ARE stored so that I can delete them next time around.

Any info would be apreciated, and I will keep you updated on developments.

Handygrandad

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I heard about these bios 'hacks' back when i was on an Asus Z68 bios - Asus released a bad bios update and it messed about with my voltages so i had no choice but to run at lower clocks. I was really interested but it seems that it was more of a 50/50 chance of it working successfully without any problems. 1 guy had it working fine but the others had issues even though it seemed to work perfectly at first. I think i came across it somewhere over at Hardforums. the other people who had flashed successfully but had issues was asking the OP for more proof that the downgrade worked but the OP never came back or replied with such information.

I think there are some malicious trolls out there who jump into forums for no other reason then to fuck with other people. Luckily only 3 or 4 people over at [H] tried the downgrade but who knows how many 'guests' found the page on google and borked their motherboard because of it.

Im not callin you a troll brandon - you know i love you like a bro (nohomo) but I seen shit like this happen too many times.

Memory 8Gig
Case Mini ATX
Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings ... ... but I have had a problem with my downgrade:

Initially all was well, and I was really pleased to be back on the Award BIOS. But I started to have problems shutting down, (the PC woul;d restart). After this happened once or twice .... .... a "UEFI" BIOS, error message appeared "The BIOS has been corupted" .... and it proceeded to reload the UEFI BIOS (I don't know where from) ... ... and eventually the UEFI BIOS took over once more !

When I did the initial downgrade I put all the files in "system32" because I was using an "elevated" command prompt which starts with the System 32 address, but I now I wonder if this might have something to do with the reappearance of the UEFI.

So, this time I have put all the files in C drive, as per the original instructions. My thinking is that, maybe there are elements of the UEFI that are stored on drive C and these are removed when the downgrade program is run ... and maybe it has to be run in drive C in order to remove the UEFI.

Only time will tell ... ... ... and if I'm wrong, and that pesky UEFI raises it's head again , I will be wanting to know where the UEFI files ARE stored so that I can delete them next time around.

Any info would be apreciated, and I will keep you updated on developments.

Handygrandad

A further update

Having successfully downgraded (again) I was particularly concerned to reduce the risk of the UEFI BIOS reinstating itself (see my previous post).

I had previously assumed that installing a copy of the BIOS file from a USB stick, using QBIOS, after downgrading was a means of updating the second BIOS chip, I was wrong ! ... ... although there may be some benefit in this action, it does not copy the BIOS into the 2nd BIOS chip.

So, it's possible that there were remnants of the UEFI BIOS left in the 2nd BIOS chip which led to the later surprise resurection of the UEFI BIOS.

I have since discovered that there is a method for copying the BIOS (and any configurations you may have made) to the 2nd BIOS chip.

1) First ensure that you have a stable BIOS that is configured for your system ... I am thinking particularly of settings unique to your operating system like the "first boot" drive and where a PCI graphics card has replaced the onboard graphics.

2) Start the boot sequence and hold down the Alt and F12 key, eventually you will get an onscreen message regarding the copying of the existing BIOS to the backup BIOS chip (this took me more than one attempt, as I was not sure at what exact point the keys needed to be released). Folllow the instructions and when complete, restart or turn off the power.

.... .... .... .... and ... ... at the time of writing all seems stable and I have back all the functionality of the original Award BIOS (F13)

Will post with any new developments.

jacobxtyler

Thank you to everyone in this thread. I upgraded to the wrong bios for a different revision of my board a few years back and have been searching ever since to get it back to it's most current, not UEFI bios and this finally did the trick!

Handygrandad

Mine did the same thing, but when it loaded the backup bios it was the F8 that i had flashed from windows. Idk if it had to do with the Qflash that i did of the same F8 bios or not, but its running the right one and im a happy camper.

cisco150

*Disclaimer*
This may or may not work for your board and also MAY work for other board manufacturers but YMMV and I hold no responsibility if it bricks your board. AMIBIOS is what most gigabyte boards use.

Ok after a near crap experience tonight of wanting to test out gigabytes new UEFI bios for some Z68/P67 boards I wanted to go back to the regular bios. The new UEFI bios was nice but was missing things for OC like LLC, PLL overvolt, and offset voltages. The following steps I had gotten off My Digital Life.

5. Extract your bios to this folder as well that you have copied to the root directory of your hard drive
7. Now goto CMD prompt and type without quotes "fptw.exe -f 1.rom" or "fptw64.exe -f 1.rom" whichever OS you have

TIP* this way of blind flashing only flashes the first bios so it is best that once you get back into the bios, run Qflash and reflash the bios you want so it does both bioses for safety.

Link to thread

Thank bud I been dying to rowback my bios on my z68 board and u gave me great info thanks, I'm back doing what I do best

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I used my raspberry Pi SPI flash... simply got the IC. backuped vital info like MAC etc serial rubbish with FTK, and flashed the IC completely...

Attachments

• IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 1,400

fqpl

thanks a lot! I successful downgraded to the f10 bios!
I own the Z68ma-d2h-b3 from gigabyte. the only downside is now that the compter is not booting up that fast any more. Maybe anyone can help me with that? I have 8.1 stored on a ssd.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
Quicker boots with SSDs if the one thing that the UFEI BIOS got right. F10 adds maybe 5-7 seconds to boot and there's no way I've seen to get rid of it (only reason I moved to the beta BIOS on my secondary z68 board).

fqpl

ya the reason why I did downgrade my bios is, I just got a blue screen by entering the Bios and couldnt fix that.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
*thread necromancy at work here people be advised this information is outdated*
keep in mind that there is a very very VERY good chance of hard bricking your board
when you upgrade from the hybrid to the full UEFI it re-formats the Block-layout in the bios chip in such a way that there is no way to really partition it back to its prior state this tool works around this by hacking up the bios rom so it fits in the new PROM block scheme if something goes wrong you will be fucked as I have seen cases where even a hardware programmer can't unfuck the monkey
EXTREME CAUTION IS ADVISED

fqpl

what should get wrong? the only thing I could imagine is a power-cut. otherwise its as easy or dangerous then upgrading. theoretically I could go back and forward all day - couldn't I?

zakata10

*Disclaimer*

Link to thread

Hello, i need to downgrade my gigabyte z6
*Disclaimer*

Link to thread

I made everything how is described here but can not downgrade this one see attached picture.
My operation system is windows 10 x64

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_181910830.jpg
    IMG_20190216_181910830.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,131
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Hello, i need to downgrade my gigabyte z6

I made everything how is described here but can not downgrade this one see attached picture.
My operation system is windows 10 x64

Try the steps I slightly changed in the quote below. I can't help you out any more than that though as I have a completely different setup from when I originally done this.

UPDATE FOR WIN 7 X64

randybonnette

Try the steps I slightly changed in the quote below. I can't help you out any more than that though as I have a completely different setup from when I originally done this.writemyessay

Hello,

Could you please upload the valid utility? I can't find it - I get the error message
Something appears to be missing…
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.