1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable 2 different audio output at the same time in Win7? Speakers and Headset

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vbx, Nov 27, 2009.

1. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did this with XP. But can't seem to do it with Windows 7...

Basically, I want Media Center to run thru the speakers and at the same time, I would like Windows Media Player to run thru the headset.

This was possible on XP and Vista. It actually did it automatically.

I can have media center on running Live TV and open up a Mp3 on WMP. Then hook up my USB headset and the WMP would automatically play on the headset and Live tv will still run thru the speakers..

When I try to do this on Win7 x64, the speaker shuts off and all sound goes thru the headset once I connect it.

It is possible to do this on win7?
  2. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    No One? Not sure why MS removed this feature in Win7...
  3. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you look carefully inside all of your available sound/audio control panels (in the event that there are proprietary ones for your audio hardware)? IIRC there is an option in most of these kinds of setups where you get to choose whether audio is switched solely to the jack when plugged in or not.
  4. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Checked it all and messed with it all.

In Windows 7, its either all audio playing thru the speakers or all audio playing thru the headset. No way you can pick and choose which program plays where.

So far, this can only be done in Vista and XP.. And it does it automatically.
  5. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry bro. If it's any consolation, I used to edit all my stuff in Movie Maker and they totally dismantled it with Windows 7. Thankfully I found a hacked Movie Maker classic pack and it works (except HD encoding, the duty of which can be transferred to 'Live' Movie Maker once the editing is done in the classic one).
  6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    What I do is enable the tray icon and change the default device for sound playback before starting the application. Applications like Windows Media Player go to the default audio device on start and they stay there until it closes. Some applications, like Trillion and Pidgin go to whatever device is currently set to default.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Similar to what GT90concept said I believe you can set a playback device and then launch an application. Once it's running well change the default playback device and launch the next application. I think it will work but it will also depend on driver support.

I'll test it after work but that's still another 8 hours from now.:banghead:
  8. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did this for a while - go into the programs properties and most will let you pick which audio device to use, but yes, there are a ton of apps that don't allow you to do that =/