• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailoc

Your UPS is fine, did you try to put 1 card at a time?

Yep I removed each card and flashed them separately. The BSOD error was from atikdmag.sys I believe. I have been only getting this blue screen when under 6970 bios. No crashes at all under 6950.

Qed

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling Corsair Hydro H50
Memory Corsaid Dominator 1600 6GB
Video Card(s) 3x ATI HD6950
Power Supply Corsair TX950
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
Yep I removed each card and flashed them separately. The BSOD error was from atikdmag.sys I believe. I have been only getting this blue screen when under 6970 bios. No crashes at all under 6950.

As Bystander said, did you try the 6950 bios just with shaders unlocked?

If you have an XFX you can use the already unlocked bios from this post:

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 695...

crislink

Processor AMD Phenom II 940BE
Motherboard GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling Air
Memory 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
Video Card(s) 2x Toxic HD6850 Crossfire
Storage 1TB Seagate
Display(s) Acer 22"
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W
have you tried every card at once with the modded bios? still got issues with only one per time?

SonDoobius

I'm actually thinking about getting another card for crossfire. Is the modding causing alot of crossfire problems, or is it generally safe? I know how, just not whether or not its gonna cause me a ton of grief.

polyseal

I'm actually thinking about getting another card for crossfire. Is the modding causing alot of crossfire problems, or is it generally safe? I know how, just not whether or not its gonna cause me a ton of grief.

Im running almost the same system as malioc (1090t @ 3.6, 8gig, 2x sapphire 6950 @ 6970), and im having no dramas at all. in fact, both cards will happily run at 900/1400 with the unlocked shaders. i run them at 880/1375 tho, with +10% power. both cards monitored on second monitor with 2 instances of gpu-z, as well as CCC.

not being able to set custom fan curves is annoying me tho, as have to find a balance between fan speed and noise so the top card doesnt get too hot. sandwhich city. with fan speed at 65% top card, and 55% bottom card plays crysis warhead maxxxxxxxx settings (yes. maxxed out completely. enthusiast blah blah). for an hour, top card maxes out at 75deg. (frames min 55+. plays so good. friends all hate me).

ive been monitoring this thread a bit tho, and seems like not all the cards will just change over so easily. even IF they dont unlock tho, 2x 6950s is pwn. i bought them before i knew about the unlock. they are definately worth it.

poly.

Anyone know of a program that can monitor in game temps of the GPU?

I'd like to monitor cooling of:

6950 stock
6950 stock xfire
6950/70mod
6950/70mod xfire

then run the same with water blocks.

Am only going to use gaming temps. What would be a good game to use?

bystander

not being able to set custom fan curves is annoying me tho, as have to find a balance between fan speed and noise so the top card doesnt get too hot. sandwhich city. with fan speed at 65% top card, and 55% bottom card plays crysis warhead maxxxxxxxx settings (yes. maxxed out completely. enthusiast blah blah). for an hour, top card maxes out at 75deg. (frames min 55+. plays so good. friends all hate me).

Have you tried MSI Afterburner? It definately works with a single card, and it used to work with dual 5870's. It has a fan curve ability. I use it now.

bystander

Anyone know of a program that can monitor in game temps of the GPU?

I'd like to monitor cooling of:

6950 stock
6950 stock xfire
6950/70mod
6950/70mod xfire

then run the same with water blocks.

Am only going to use gaming temps. What would be a good game to use?

MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z will

bystander

Does Afterburner override CCC? Or do you have to turn off CCC?

MSI Afterburner will enable the overclocking section of ATI Overdrive in the CCC and use the clocks you specify in MSI Afterburner to set Overdrive. If you turn on the user defined fan settings in Afterburner, it will set Overdrive to be user defined, but ignore the % listed in Overdrive, and instead use the curve created in Afterburner. The new power control settings are accessible in Overdrive still. Overdrive will still take control of idle mode clock settings and ignore Afterburner.

Basically, what ever you set in Afterburner will override ATI Overdrive in the CCC, and what it doesn't control you can still change in ATI Overdrive.

bystander

And if you are using it just to monitor, when you open up Afterburner, it will just copy the settings of Overdrive and give you graphics on the right. It's only when you alter the clocks and apply that it changes Overdrive settings.

AiponGkooja

Might be a stupid question, but does the card come in default BIOS slot 1 or 2? It's just hard as hell to get my card back out now that I put it in, but I know it has to be in slot 1 to do any flashing... If I try and it's in slot 2, will it hurt anything? Or just fail?

Thanks,
Aip

Edit: Nevermind... That was an INCREDIBLY stupid question, because the switch is right on top... Wow...

Last edited:

polyseal

Have you tried MSI Afterburner? It definately works with a single card, and it used to work with dual 5870's. It has a fan curve ability. I use it now.

as ive got sapphire cards, i was using trixx, but even though it has the option to "enable sync in multi-gpu setup" or words to that effect, the fan curve only works on the primary card. granted, the bottom card doesnt need quite the attention the top card needs, but the fan is still kinda slow, and card still rather warm on auto, even on stock 6950. yay for being a temp nut! (cpu has noctua nh-d14! :D)

ill give afterburner a go and let you know. i tried reinstalled the sapphire util and drivers etc, but didnt work. even tried installing the bottom card, using trixx, installing top card (with bottom card still in there), and using trixx.

afterburner download woo

poly.

[EDIT] ok. afterburner seems to work. just made a basic XXdeg = XX% (eg. 50deg = 50% fan) and fired up multigpu furmark. both cards' fans sped up accordingly. even had all my settings from CCC :D cheers kneegrow.

Last edited:

AiponGkooja

Another quick question. If the first "HD_6950_to_HD_6970_mod" worked, and doesn't artifact at above-6970 clocks and 0% power control, should I just leave it with that one? I know this also may change ram timings and it ups the voltage by .075 under load, but does this matter if it seems pretty stable? Or would it still be safer to use the "Mod_BIOS_HD_6950" and then manually update the BIOS with cmd prompt (since I have an XFX card)?

Thanks for any input,
Aip

Well I'm pretty dumbfounded

THESE CARDS ARE FREAKIN AWSOME!

In Unigine one 6950 is only 300 behind my 5850xfire. I haven't even modded them yet.

OMFG!

Am encountering a bit of a problem though. When I cross too or back from xfire, I am getting a BSOD.

Any thoughts?

ALSO I have noticed on my f8 restarts, I do not have an option to boot from my usb to do the atiflash. Can I do it from the command prompt in windows?

System Name Yonef-PC
Processor AMD Phenom II 940
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 1066 Mhz (5-5-5-12)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 280X
Storage Corsair Force 3 240 GB SSD + Samsung F1 1TB
Display(s) AOC 27"
Case Termaltake VJ40001W2Z
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35
Power Supply Be-quite 650 W
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Can anyone post some benchmark results with modded 6950 bios(unlocked shaders only)?
What is the difference over normal 6950 on Unigine demo, or any game.
I've flashed mine to 6970 and it seems to have 10% performance increase, but got very loud and system power condumption increased with 80W, temps increased as well.
So I'm wondering what would be the difference with only shader unlocked 6950.

Tnanks.

System Name Yonef-PC
Processor AMD Phenom II 940
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 1066 Mhz (5-5-5-12)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 280X
Storage Corsair Force 3 240 GB SSD + Samsung F1 1TB
Display(s) AOC 27"
Case Termaltake VJ40001W2Z
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35
Power Supply Be-quite 650 W
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Well I'm pretty dumbfounded

ALSO I have noticed on my f8 restarts, I do not have an option to boot from my usb to do the atiflash. Can I do it from the command prompt in windows?

F8 will not get you option to boot from usb!
You have to check what key enables Boot Select. This could be found in your MB manual, or you can choose boot device straight from the MB BIOS.

F8 will not get you option to boot from usb!
You have to check what key enables Boot Select. This could be found in your MB manual, or you can choose boot device straight from the MB BIOS.

Cheers

I was going off instructions from a youtube vid. I seen them do it.

They may have had a different MB.

Yeh I may have to go to bios and set usb as default boot device or see if there is a boot menu in the bios splash screen. x58ud5

Well I now able to boot up and run atiflash but am getting this error code:

ERROR ofl01

I have not heard of this in the forums.

dimon222

Well I now able to boot up and run atiflash but am getting this error code:

ERROR ofl01

I have not heard of this in the forums.
Check, you use 1st bios?

dimon222

You use gui?
Try with prompt
If you get an error like ID mismatch or Could not erase ROM, then you'll have to do some extra work in a Windows command prompt (or DOS): Run atiwinflash -unlockrom 0 followed by atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.bin where bios.bin is the path and filename of the HD 6970 BIOS you downloaded.

If still doesn't work... hm... maybe try reinstall drivers?

Chrom

Hello !

I need your help!

I need the ATI HD 6950 Club3d Bios.

Can someone upload it, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.