1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by bluevelvetjacket, May 22, 2008.

1. elbubi

elbubi New Member

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK, forceware hack is not required with slipatch v0.9b ;)
  2. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I agree. But i could be wrong.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Antineutrino New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried the new patch 0.9b on my systems and it's working flawlessly...
    I have an Asus rampage Formula (X48) with 2 x 8800 GTS 512 running with XP 32 bit.
    Many many thanks to all the people who spent a lot of their time make SLI working!!!!
    Thanks a lot to Anatolymk!!!

Cheers!!!
  4. johnspack

Thanks Received:
    No, you don't need to hack the 260.89 driver, just install it, reboot, install the 0.9 slipatch, reboot and select the new sli enabled entry, and enjoy!
    More than 25k PPD
  5. Merluz

Merluz New Member

Thanks Received:
    thankyou for the answer!

but i have a noob question, which is the correct method to properly uninstall the sli patch 0.8b?
  6. johnspack

Thanks Received:
    That's a good question, I tried going from 0.8 to 0.9 and I think I had serious problems. But I can install a fresh install of xp64 in 10 minutes, full slipstreamed with wmp11 and ie8, so I just do that.... so what is the right way to go from 8 to 9?
    More than 25k PPD
  7. elbubi

elbubi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys.

I have a dumb question, but since I´m new on SLi universe there are so much things I don't know...

Question: If one game does not have its specific SLi profile on nvidia control panel, will it only render in one gpu regardless of SLi being activated??? My 2nd vga will be doing nothing at all???

I´m about to get a 2nd 460, but this doubt is holding me down, since for the same price of 2x460 I can get a 480, and I would prefer 90% performance in all games than 100% performance in half of them.

Thanks in advance and kind regards!
  8. JDougNY New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's always a delay between the release of a new game and the SLI profile to go with it. If you know the type of game engine the game is using, you can rename the executable to an older game that uses that same engine (or try renaming to other titles from the same dev). For instance, I renamed the F1 2010 executable to Dirt2.exe and got a decent boost in FPS (I now have a better SLI compatibility code for that game). Sometimes, you can add the executable to NVCPL and force alt mode 1 or 2 and get both cards going as well. SLI scaling varies by game...sometimes it's far lower than expected.

Generally, you want a decent CPU clock to go with 2 cards in SLI (I've seen gaming tests showing 3.6 - 3.8 as a sweet spot for the CPU clock). It's also better if you have 2 pci-e slots that are x8 x8, or x16 x16 to get the best performance.
    elbubi says thanks.
  9. elbubi

elbubi New Member

Thanks Received:
    @JdougNY:

Thanks so much for your kind and clear answer. I guess then if sli profile does not yet been released, it will render on one gpu only, unless you do some "tricks" as you mentioned ;)

My cpu runs @4GHz and my mobo has all x16 pci-e lanes, so I think I´m ready to order my 2nd 460 (still don´t have the money, but I´m saving for it...)

Best regards and thanks once again for your kind reply.
  10. TheTrap New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I tried the latest slipatch 0.9 with the 260.89 drivers and under the NV Control Panel, there's no option for SLI and the second card isn't being used

I have a couple of 460 GTXes btw

The only driver that works with slipatch is the 258.96 ones and they're pretty bad. Any ideas ?

I'm on Win 7 64 bit.

Is there any particular installation step ?

I installed slipatch first, booted from the slipatch OS, then installed drivers, rebooted, didn't work.
  11. elbubi

elbubi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Odd to hear that, looks than 260.89 had been working good with patch 0.9b... :confused:

Can't point you anything out cause I'm still learning new stuff about SLi, but you can bet any of here's experts will find your problem/solution. If you can specify your hole specs that would surely be of help ;)

Cheers
  12. TheTrap New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really don't see how posting my specs help but I'll do it

Q6600
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.6
    8GB mixed rams
    6 1.5TBs, one 640, one 300 GB velociraptor
    Leadtek 460 GTX, Asus 460 GTX, both 1GB

Not using SLI bridge

If you need anymore information I would be glad to comply.

I tried all sorts of methods, even the forceware patch at one point but the drivers just wouldn't let me SLI.

On slipatch 0.9b build 209.

I've also tried reinstalling the drivers, cleaning it, booting in safe mode, uninstalling slipatch in over 12 different permutations because I was so desperate to get it working but it just doesn't let me get SLI >_>

Would be great if someone told me what I did wrong...
  13. elbubi

elbubi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I told about your specs, because certain motherboards do not share pci-e lanes on their several pci-e express slots, and that disables sli compatibility. I guess it's not your case tough, but that was mi intention.

I would give it a try with the bride, but afaik is not a "must" for it to work. The forceware patch is not needed with slipatch v0.9.

Hope someone a little more experienced than me (I guess anyone is) could give you some better help.

Regards
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  14. JDougNY New Member

Thanks Received:
    anatolymik and his crew only address the official driver releases. You have tried to use the 260.xxx Beta release, so SLI may or may not work for you when you do that. If they spend time working on a Beta driver release, then find that things have changed once the official driver is released....it becomes a lot of wasted time/effort making a Beta driver release work.
  15. mypg0306

Thanks Received:
    Hello bro,

Your case same as mine. Just refer before few pages back... Now I already got it done with 260.89 with 0.9b build 209 patch... no SLI option in NV panel. All you need to do is to get a SLI bridge and hook up and it will show up. Just look into my system spec with 9800gt as my dedicated phsyx card. :)
  16. MadBoy89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am loosing this battle-
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  17. anatolymik

anatolymik

Thanks Received:
    you have strange problem
  18. TheTrap New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I already ordered one, I tend to have very strange problems that most people don't have D:

I doubt the SLI bridge is the case but I will try it definitely when the bridge comes...

Did you reinstall the drivers or SLIpatch with the bridge ? or did you just turn it off and connect the bridge and turn on again ?
  19. TheTrap New Member

Thanks Received:
    I fully understand that but I saw people getting slipatch to work with the beta drivers so I was hoping I could get some help...

That said, I would be content with 258.96 if it freaking let me SLI in FFXIV specifically...and I read only the 260.89 has support for SLI for that game (only game I play currently)

If I knew SLI was going to be this bad I wouldn't have sold my 4870X2 (basically a very hot 5870 ...) and AKA no SLI problems D:

Was hoping for a nice virgin experience but Nvidia really pisses me off now :(
  20. JDougNY New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know what you mean...makes me want to throw in the towel and switch out my Nvidia cards with a pair of ATI 5850's.
  21. Merluz

Merluz New Member

Thanks Received:
    repeat my previous question :)

a noob question... which is the correct method to properly uninstall the sli patch 0.8b and upgrate to newer 0.9b?

:respect:
  22. ich71092 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just install 0.9 , it makes an update .
    I did it so and it works ;)
  23. TheTrap New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I forgot to mention that I restricted windows 7 from installing any kind of driver/etc without me specifically running it.

Does slipatch try and modify files under system or administrator and not the user itself ?
  24. JDougNY New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's best to have UAC off and run the patch as administrator
  25. TheTrap New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am the administrator and UAC is off and gpedit policies are disabled to let windows auto install any kind of driver >_>

I tried with a fresh copy of 64 bit win 7, didn't work either.

Is there like some sort of special installation procedure ?