1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by bluevelvetjacket, May 22, 2008.

1. anatolymik

anatolymik

Thanks Received:
    i have some work now, about it i'll think later

2. Ghostleader

Ghostleader New Member

Thanks Received:
    ?, is it okey to leave the modded HAL or should I roll back the original or is it just fine as it´s?

A bit unclear.

Anyone knows if I can use the same nvlddmkm.sys (rev2) Win7 x64 for the 191.03 beta as for the 190.62?

3. Schlingel New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay i also got BSOD while installing 191.03

rebootet, sitched off second desktop and tried again ->working

ill try to reboot now. btw sli still avaiable with the new driver

@€dit: i guess i know why ;) beta driver without certificate? didnt try too reboot now cause too lazy to add certificate to every driver-file or using F8

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  4. sordido New Member

Thanks Received:

forgot to add that I was using a 2nd monitor also when I had the BSOD... maybe that is the reason of the problems??

anatolymik: Thanks for your hard work man, seriously.

5. Da Viksta New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. yeba New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using intel raid.

7. anatolymik

anatolymik

Thanks Received:
    so with raid do you always get BSODS. no matter settings?

8. EGOvoruhk New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is from another forum. I posted it earlier for sveetsnelda, but he hasn't been around for a while. It might be useful for the person doing the HAL.dll mod

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showpost.php?p=143640&postcount=15

What caught my interest was using RW-Everything to patch the IDs at startup. So instead of having a modified/hacked HAL.dll file, you could just turn RW-Everything on and off

9. Sailindawg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello All,

Thanks to anatolymik for his work. I finally managed to get the hack working. I have a Foxconn BlackOps. I'm using Win 7 64 bit 7100 for my operating system. My first try at it, I tried to add theFoxconn certificate into the SLIC registry file. I seemed to be successful in adding the string, but still no SLI.

I reassembled the original reg table and copied it back to the registry. I used an early version of the SLI String Installer, an early version of the hal.dll file and manually added the SLI certificates. I finally got it working with unmodded 190.62 drivers.

I didn't leave well enough alone and tried to change drivers. I tried to use the 186.18 drivers. I removed the 190.62 driver via Control Panel, rebooted, installed the new drivers, rebooted and :wtf: no more SLI.

I put the original SLIC reg file (with no manufacturer certificate) back using the assembler programs, reinstalled the 190.62 drivers and rebooted.

This time I used the latest SLIStringinstaller, installed the ASUS certificate, used Halmod v.7, rebooted and I now have SLI :D This time I made an image of the operating system with SLI working :toast:

I have a couple of questions:

1) How does one change drivers? Does the Halmod need to be rerun when you change drivers? Currently, I'm running unmodded 190.62 drivers.

2) I've been following this thread closely, but I have found some points unclear. Does one have to disable driver signature checking when running the mod? I didn't do this, but it wasn't as quite straight forward when modding the system using the SLI string installer and the Halmod.

3) Will all this work need to be redone when Win 7 is finally released?

Thanks for all your efforts.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  10. eRazorzEDGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I've been trying to make this work on my Crosshair III with 2x 8800GT's without success. I've tried in Vista 64 bit and now in Win 7 32 bit.

When I try to execute the install.cmd file in the HALmod, it spits back errors saying that it cannot run in this version of windows. I've seen people replying saying they're using either Xp 32 bit or Win 7 64 bit, are those the only two OS's it's working on? I've tried using program compatibility, but to no avail.

Also, when I use the SLIStringInstall, I get the "Unable to create new DSDT table" error. I'm really not sure what to do here. I've looked at the xdevs site trying to figure out how they modify the .dsl file manually, but i just can't seem to grasp what the hell they're doing. To me it seems like they're saying "look for something like this, but it won't be this exactly... now here's what we did, but this is only the end result, we don't have the original for you to compare it to" !?!?

I'd really appreciate some insight here. Thanks.

11. aGeoM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Welcome to TPU Forum

I'm running the same board as yours, what BIOS version are you using?
    Use Win7 x64, for SLI mod.

Be well...

12. aGeoM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Welcome to TPU Forum

1) No, once you install you don´t need to do it again, with the latest HALMod 0.8, I'd just run 191.03 driver setup, and installed over the 190.8x, no problem at all.

2) Yes, for the driver mod, no need for HALMod.

3) Yes. Or every time you clean install OS.

Be well...

13. Nick [D]vB

Nick [D]vB New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I had to go away for the weekend but I've just had time to do a quick test with windows7 64, but still no SLI for me... :(

I can not test my 790GX board because there is still no fix to make it detect two nvidia cards, so I had to test the old Nforce4 system.

I did a clean install of win7-64, the string installer said it had worked ok but I can not get SLI even with the modded driver in test mode.

I tried all three HALmods (with unmodded drivers) but still no SLI, when it can boot OK then CPUz sees x58 chipset

(but Everest still sees NF4 just like in my XP test), but most of the time I get BSODs and have to restore windows.

anatolymik remember that you said you know why it is not working on nforce4, I notice the table says it is ACPI v1.0 is this the problem?

Also I forgot this BIOS also had a SLIC/SLP mod for OEM activation using an ACER certificate (not ASUS) will this cause more problems??

Please can you help when you get some time, I can send you the new dat files etc (from the clean w7 install) if you need them.

thanks again

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  14. eRazorzEDGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read one of your earlier posts regarding our board, so I flashed the BIOS with 1003 and change ACPI 2.0 to Enabled with hopes that would help. But as you say use Win 7 64 bit, I guess that's the change I need to make. I just wanted to get a higher and more stable OC with less voltage outta my CPU, only reason I went 32 bit.

You said in that earlier post that you still had to hex edit something... what would I have to do since I get those "unable to blah blah DSDT blah" errors?

15. aGeoM New Member

Thanks Received:

Ok, for now, if you want test SLI mod, you must use halmod + Win7 x64 for AMD boards, until anatolymik realease an Win7 x86 HALMod version, just give a little more vcore to your OC.

Use this DSDT.

Attached Files:

eRazorzEDGE says thanks.
  16. anatolymik

anatolymik

Thanks Received:
    i think i know in what matter is. i'm working on new halmod.

Nick [D]vB says thanks.
  17. cxghjcqr

cxghjcqr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please tell me whether 8800GT +8800GTS can be modified.

18. EGOvoruhk New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean you want to SLI them? Those are two different cards

19. cxghjcqr

cxghjcqr New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes ,can they modsli?

20. yeba New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, using intel raid. all version of halmod BSOD at different places.

With non-raid setup, I can at least use halmod 0.7.

21. panheimer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm planning to try SLI string installer and modded 190.62 on a rampage formula and 2x8800 ultra with XP32 installed on a raid 0 partition using intel raid.
    will i also encounter bsod issue?

22. anatolymik

anatolymik

Thanks Received:
    as for me, i don't get BSODs on RAID

23. panheimer New Member

Thanks Received:
    great! ty anatolymik! i'll give it a try this week-end, now i've to find my old sli bridge...
    another question: as the 8800 ultra are a bit old, i think i'll keep modded 190.62, but will i be able to create new sli profiles with nhancer to support new games?

24. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    panheimer

If you can't find your SLI bridge, I'll take a look around to see if I have an extra I can send you. That's if your a CON. USA locale.

25. panheimer New Member

Thanks Received:
    ty jr but i'm from italy ^^, sry!
    i'm sure i've put it somewhere, but can't remember where...i've got my old dfi 680 sitting in a box, so the sli bridge must be somewhere near it!