1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to get low temps of the GTX295

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Animalpak, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    How to get low temps with GTX295

Hi guys, just received today my new graphics card, this thing is awesome heavy and extreme performance i was playing Crysis at 1900x1200 very high with 55 fps :eek::eek: awesome !!

Now i noticed ( how dont ) the high temps of the card now is 47-49 degrees, in gaming stay around 71-74 degrees. The back of my case is very hot and the air blows out very warm.

My question is how can i low the temps without mounting a water block ?

The EVGA backplate how is it ? Can really lower the temps of my GTX295 ?

Here a comparison with my old lovely Ultra and the new love:p.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The backplate will lower the temp a few degrees. Have you tried using Evga Precision Tool or RivaTuner to increase your fan speeds?
  3. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Yes, with the special dedicated skin.

The card is noisy in idle than my old 8800 Ultra, yes i try to increase it but what is the best value to set it ? 41 is idle.

I need a setting with noise/performance balanced.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just set the fan to a speed that sounds good for you. A big card such as the GTX295 needs a lot of cooling and the fan is going to be somewhat loud. That is the trade-off of having a monster card.
  5. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could try a case fan placed over the top of the cards fan. Basicly blowing extra air into the already sucking gpu fan. Worked a treat for 2 or 3 graphics cards i've done it with. Your card is gunna produce alot of heat so the faster the air blows across the heatsink the more heat will get disapated to the surounding air. I've stuck them on with glue but dought your going to want to do that with such an expensive new card. Your gong to want to remove to case fan at some point say if you was to sell it. You could maybe try double sided sticky pads or insulation tape to hold the extra fan in place. Wont look great but will defo knock afew degrees off the gpu core.
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'd use Rivatuner to set-up fan profiles to have the card automatically kick up the fan speed when temps go up. The BIOS on the card already does this, but not quick enough IMO. Basically, the BIOS settings do just enough to keep the card in the safe range, to minimize noise. I prefer a little more noise, and lower temps.

The reason I suggest doing it like this, is so that it can still be relatively quiet when idle, but kick up when you are gaming. Usually there is more noise coming from the game, so having a louder fan isn't noticeable because the fan noise is covered up by the game noise.

I'd set it to run at 100% for anything above 70C.

Usually my settings are:

>70C=100%
    60C-70C=75%
    50C-60C=60%
    40C-50C=50%
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    But then is the cards fan really upto the job even at 100% ! Look at the res he's gaming in. Working that gpu hard. On hot days even the fan at 100% might not be enough. If ya ask me forget pissing bout with riva tuner & just slap a case fan on & almost double the air fow cross the sink. Case fans are pretty quiet these days.
  8. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
  9. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Yes you right ok thanks for the answer mate ;)

Nice idea, maybe i should try it, a forced air induction system. And no i dont wanna make too many mods to the card, the card is very new yet, maybe at the end of the year i could try something.

Thanks mate ! Yes me too, when im gaming i turn up the volume of the speakers and i dont hear any noise from the computer.

Maybe just me, I should not complain of the noise that is not so annoying in the end.

Yes that's what I want to do, powering the ventilation with new fans.

Thanks mate for the advice but that aftermarket cooler it is too ugly to be seen.
    :twitch:

I change the thermal paste to the end of the year after the summer they told me that changing gain 8 degrees less on all two GPUs.
    As I have written the card is too new to open it and change something so I want to use it for a while.

Thanks guys for the answers well appreciated :rockout::toast:
  10. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Watercooling is your only option. Heat was one reason I watercooled my 4870 x2.
  11. cowie

Thanks Received:
    the stock cooler is not that bad if you dont mind the noise at higher speeds.

i get so fed up sometimes cooling cards down:banghead:
    so for benchies+adding volts... i do this lol:nutkick:
    [​IMG]

more pics and some results here
    http://i4memory.com/f22/low-dollar-295gtx-cooling-14417/

i'm just about to order two coolers and try that for a more 24/7 solution :laugh:
    will post up pics ater i get them installed.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Those temps aren't that bad tbh. It will work upto about 105 degrees then it will turn itself off. However you might want to increase the fan speed, Use zip ties to attach a 120mm to it or improve airflow to the card.
  13. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    i run a GTX295 and just force 68% fan speed constantly, keeps the card with ver reasonable temps by my stands, i just cant get my hands on dry ice tho, id love to try that.

@newtekie1, thats an awesome idea in rivatuner, i could just set and forget. cheers :toast:
  14. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could also try an Antec Spot Cool:

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=699732&cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Technology_%253E_PC_Components_-_-699732-SPOTCOOL&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=699732

Just stick in the corner of your case and point it toward the intake of the card and it will at least give you a steady stream of cooler air. Its a little more expensive than a regular old 120mm fan but since its bendy if can give you more options in a crowded case
  15. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I run now at 65%... Man isnt loud for you ? damn is very loud for me, maybe 50 % i can tollerate but not 65% i think is too much for most of people.
  16. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice but the link doesnt work...
  17. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i think on it. I have to decide also the rest, cpu chipset waterblock and radiator pump then start to make some holes and mods around my case. :ohwell:
  18. wolf

Thanks Received:
    easily tollerable to keep temps low, and cos the card is such a beefcake :laugh:
  19. FelipeV

FelipeV New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I did for my X2, its ugly I Know, but it works, help cooling the black plate, NB and memorys at the same time.

Also I´ve created profiles for 2D, 3D and overclock, 40% for 2D, 55% for Games and 85% for over, that is just used for testing, 99% of the time I run stock. At 55% the card never goes above 60C, even at 30C ambient temp.

Attached Files:

• fans.jpg
      fans.jpg
      File size:
      104.6 KB
      Views:
    Animalpak says thanks.
  20. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Nice idea FelipeV, thanks a lot
  21. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:

:laugh::)

Yeah i start to take the fan around 50 60 %, i dont want the card die fast because i upgrade the graphic card every 2 or 3 years and i buy the best card possible.
  22. wolf

Thanks Received:
    yeah id much much rather save 10-20 degrees on my GPU / GPUs and put up with a louder fan, that to me is some piece of mind.

second hand id prefer to buy a card that's run its whole life at 60 degrees as oppose to 80, who wouldn't.
  23. waxking1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got aqua waterblocks for my cards now, but while I was waiting on the blocks I took one card apart and replaced the thermal pads with the black Koolance thermal pads. I had them left over from a 280 but I think you can order them from Koolance. The 280 Koolance block came with a large square of black and another one which was thicker in white.

Anyway after replacing the pads and using MX2 on the GPU, the temps on this card dropped around 10 degrees. I use the voltage tuner and was running with a 756 core speed. It was hitting a max temp of around 83 degress in a Vantage run. After the change of pads and TIM the max temps at the same voltage and core speed were around 10 degrees lower.

I just got the Aqua blocks and now with core speeds over 800 my max temps are only 42 deg. I completed a Vantage run at 837/1782/1188 ----- P26,277. I have another 295 but I'm waiting for a couple more elbow fittings I ordered before I can install it in my system. I did another run at 842/1800/1188 but my Vantage score dropped so I think i was close to the limit.

I know there are better scores but I'm only running an e8600 @ 4.6Ghz.
  24. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i sometimes use a HUGE delta 140mm 367cfm fan to suck the hot air out of the gpu's. temps are 48c load while folding.
  25. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Well at least will not make much noise :laugh: