1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to image my Radeon 9600 Pro BIOS?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ripsaw, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Ripsaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, my old 9200SE died so I had to make a snap decision on what card to get fast, since needed my PC back up and running ASAP.

Got a Powercolor Radeon 9600 "pro" model HD-3 256mb 400/400mhz AGP. After more detailed research wish I would have got one of the 9600's from a mfg'er who uses better memory chips and clocks them @ 300 (600). Oh well :( Looks like one of the Sapphire cards might have been a better choice. :rolleyes:

How do I make a .bin image of the BIOS on this Powercolor 9600? I've looked w/ Google and can't find a prog that will image the VGA BIOS and save it as a bin file.

How tweakable is the Powercolor BIOS, since they apparently use slow memory on their standard issue cards (non XT, etc)?

BIOS date on the card is August 09, 2004 so its a fairly recent BIOS version.

2. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go into atitool, then settings, then on the drop down menu go to miscellaneous, the press the button for "Dump Bios"
    The bios.bin file will appear in the ATITool folder in c:\program files\atitool

Also could you look at the ram chips and write down what they say and post it? I have a Powercolor 9550 with 250 MHz stock core, but it does 425 OC'd to the max. The ram is the same as yours, 200x2
    ATI needs to be more strict about their cards specifications, im sick of seeing Cards that run at slower core or mem speeds, or have less memory bandwidth etc. than their ATI counterparts.

3. Ripsaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thx for the info I'll try that. I tried to OC mine w/ Radeon Tweaker from rage3D.com but memory would only handle a push to about 225mhz (450) before it began to get unstable. The GPU seemed to be able to tolerate about 450mhz OC and remain stable but didn't see much performance improvement with either so left it at defaults.

I usually research component purchases better, but I rushed into this one :eek:

I'll take a look at the chips and report back.

4. C&C Freak 2K New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, you have a Radeon 9600 PRO that clocks at 400/400, but you want one with a matching core and a memory speed of 300? AND you OVERclock it to 225MHz?

You've completely lost me.

5. Ripsaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it clocks at 400mhz GPU and 200 mhz memory, when I referred to 400mhz on the memory I was referring to the DDR effective speed, i.e. 200mhz x 2 :)

I have noticed since buying it that a lot of other manufacturers apparently use better quality or faster DDR memory because they are default clocking their 9600 pro's at 300mhz x 2 = 600mhz.

When I OC'd my memory to 225mhz it = 450mhz DDR speed, which is still 150mhz short of competing cards that have 600mhz (300 x 2) default memory clock.