1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to improve the audio quality of dell inspiron 15R ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by subhendu, Mar 17, 2011.

1. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried fl studio & sibelius in dell inspiron 15R ... but the playback was not so smooth ...
    is there any options to improve audio quality by adding any add on cards or any other options through usb ?
    specs
    i3 370m cpu
    320gb HDD
    2gb DDR3
    ATI 5470 512 mb with dx11
    onboard audio

2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Either
    - internal soundcard
    - USB soundcard
    - you hook a receiver/amp up to the onboard sound like I do.

Also, it depends on your speakers. No soundcard can turn 10$ speakers into high class speakers.

3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You're using the laptop's speakers?

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if its just music playback, why not use fubar2000 or winamp?

as has been said, best ways to get better sound is to add a better soundcard, and better speakers.

5. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    not mp3 playback..when I tried sibelius and fl studio software there was stuttering ....playback was not so smooth

6. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Then your rendering settings are too high.

I forget exactly what they call it in the menus on FLStudio - haven't used it in a while - but you can increase your processing buffers, and decrease your rendering accuracy filters - problem solved.

One has to always remember that laptop components are scaled DOWN significantly from their desktop counterparts to make them smaller, lighter, and less power hungry.

And their performance scales with them.

The i3 drops a pretty good 1M super-pi for a mobile processor - but it is still running much lower cache - much lower power - on a slower & weaker bus- and on far less responsive ram.

Sadly - multichannel accurate filtered audio mixing creates a LOT of load, a lot more than one might think - And unless you are dropping a few thousand on your laptop, its unlikely you will ever have much joy performing rendering or ANY kind on it - even audio rendering.

subhendu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    My lappy has an optical out in the headphone out. So I just bought the right optical mini jack adapter and run it out to my home theatre. It runs in Dolby Digital and sounds great and avoids my laptop speakers all together.

8. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    but i played crysis in medium settings and bfbc2 in low- med settings w/o any issue with that cpu....are you sure that it is not capable for fl studio & sibelius ? audio processing done in my onboard audio chip right? I think that is not capable ..

9. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    subhendu says thanks.
  10. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Studio & music production programs work best with an ASIO driver... your onboard audio probably dosent support ASIO so get a soundcard that supports this or you could potentially try ASIO4ALL (google it as this could work for your onboard).

Make sure you set the latency up correctly... too little latency and youll get stuttering in playback, too much latency and it will have a noticeable lag especially if you are trying to record in midi notes in real time with a keyboard.

Generally speaking if you are not using a MIDI keyboard or recording live audio into the progream in real time, a high latency will not be a problem.

subhendu says thanks.
  11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    everyones onto the wrong track because of how it was worded.

BazookaJoe has it right - he's running CPU intensive software thinking it runs on the soundcard, and its not working out well.

subhendu: an i3 CPU is low end in todays market. its just a budget dual core - yes, it is very possible the software you're running could max it out, especially since its a laptop version.

And before you start thinking you got ripped off on the laptop, or the softwares bad or anything like that - this kind of thing is just CPU intensive. i'm sure there are settings that would make a high end i7 lag in those programs. scale down what you're doing to suit the fact you have a budget laptop and not a full fledged workstation.

subhendu and slyfox2151 say thanks.
  12. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    FL Studio by default have multithreaded generator processing and multithreaded mixer processing enabled, i.e. they benefit from more cores.

subhendu says thanks.
  13. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    this dosnt mean with his current settings, that his CPU is powerful enough to handle the load its under.

14. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    What I'm saying is that by default the program is already too much for his Core i3.

15. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used FL studio and if you have alot of instruments going at the same time.. IT really eats up the processing power.Most music programs do...Anything past 50 to 60% usage and you will get stuttering.. lol.. Haven't used FL in awhile but I do use Guitar Rig with PC Drummer... Those 2 programs can be very CPU intensive..

IMO.. Music programs can be much harder on a CPU, than any game..

16. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    so laptops are useless for running this type of applications ? so nothing to do with my laptop right ?

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its not that you cant run the program, its that whatever settings you're using, is too much. turn stuff off/down. the final sentence of your quote says it all.

subhendu says thanks.
  18. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ thanks mate ...can you suggest specs of the laptop that can run these type of applications ? (one ,which will not break my wallet)

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no... i'd be guessing.

the most powerful laptop processors are still slower than desktop ones, so you're not going to find it cheap. at the very least you'd want/need a quad core, but i cant say how fast of one you're going to need.

20. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
    My son was able to run FL at almost completely full settings on his single-core Pentium.
    What held him back the most, was the lack of RAM, which is partially what the issue is here.
    If the laptop is running Windows 64-bit, I suggest going to 4GB at least; if you're running 32-bit then 3GB is really the only other option.
    Furthermore, running such programs on a laptop is, generalised I must admit, not a good idea.
    You're much better off building a desktop PC dedicated to music creation in the fashion you use, than it is to invest money in a laptop that will cost considerably more than an equivalent desktop would..

EDIT: yes, a multi-core processor certainly does help too ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    subhendu and Brandenburg say thanks.
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Just get some computer speakers and make sure they have a 3.5mm jack to them. If there like the Older model the speakers are at the front and kinda under the parm rest which is real crappy.

I hope ya got a good deal with that as i am glad i got my Inspiron 17 before the R version came out as they changed from i5 down to i3 for the same price.

22. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ yea I am using desktop speakers for my laptop..I think Jack Doph is right ...i have seen so many you tube videos..so many guys have uploaded videos of fl studio running in a laptop..I am using 32bit os and memory is only 2gb ...

23. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    why dont you run the program and check your total ram usage.... then you will know if thats the problem.

subhendu says thanks.
  24. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    OUCH.. desktop speakers.. well they are a step up from laptop speakers but thats about it

Its very possible to run FL from a laptop, but the more instruments/tracks you run.. the harder it will be to run things smoothly.. Again.. This depends on the power of the CPU, Ram and soundcard.. Yea.. soundcard.. Music programs tend to run better on add-on soundcards.. just my opinion though

ON those programs it generally takes a bit of tweaking the settings to get the best possible performance..

I know I had to tweak the latency settings on the ASIO control panel of Guitar Rig 4 a bit.. too little it would stutter/crackle.. too much and there was a noticeable delay... I settled for 7ms latency buffer delay:).I know your talking FL but Guitar Rig can be very CPU/Ram intensive too.I can tell you.. If your pushing more that 50 to 60% CPU usage on most music programs.. Your approaching the "danger zone"..

And yea.. I have used FL studio but don't use it much anymore.. Mainly I used it as a drum machine , so I could write riffs on top of it..Not all the time but mostly.... Now I just use PC Drummer which IMO has superior drum sounds..

Check your CPU usage and ram usage..and how many instruments are you running? Ill have to install FL to be of more help.. Will do it in a few

subhendu says thanks.
  25. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just installed it and played the demo.. Bitch was cracklin bad until i went to options and used Creative ASIO.. Gotta love the Creative ASIO.. f*kin superb.. Tested the all in one drivers and they worked ok too.. The main difference is I get 4ms less on the creative ASIO.. Probably more but thats what stood out

MY God.. This demo uses up 45% CPU usage and ~450Mb ram...bout what I would expect..

Using FL Studio 9 BTW

When using such a program.. I would not recommend running too many things in the background.. Don't care how much ram you might have.. Never a good idea

subhendu says thanks.