1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to improve your speed, PPD, and stability for gpu folding(ATI)

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by thraxed, Jul 4, 2009.

1. thraxed Guest

I've had quite a headache trying to fold 24/7 on my 4870x2. Was getting plagued with errors. So here what found works best. First of is to replace amd dlls in the folding dir(assuming nvidia has a similar way). You can either install the drivers, or run the setup to extract the files you need. Once you have the drivers installed you can copy the files from your windows folder. Or navigate to where the driver install extracted and navigate to:

9-6_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\B_81503

In here you need 2 files aticalcl.dl_ & aticalrt.dl_ (you can use the 64bit versions too) Copy these to your folding dir, and open up a command prompt window here and type the following (make sure you've deleted the amd dlls first):

expand aticalcl.dl_ aticalcl.dll
    del aticalcl.dl_ -y
    expand aticalrt.dl_ aticalrt.dll
    del aticalrt.dl_ -y
    ren aticalcl.dll amdcalcl.dll
    ren aticalrt.dll amdcalrt.dll

Now here what makes it work, you have to use environment variables, which can be reached by going to your computer properties (Advanced System Properties) and goto the advanced tab, down at the bottom you'll see Environment Variables.... Add the following variables to System Variables:

Variable=Value
    CAL_NO_FLUSH=1
    BROOK_YIELD=2
    FLUSH_INTERVAL=128
    CAL_PRE_FLUSH=1

Then reboot your machine and Happy Folding. I here this helps for smp folding as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  2. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    You might want to add pictures to help people out. Just a thought.

3. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Saw a post on this but they stated that you needed to use Cat 9.4 drivers and didn't mention copying the files across to the Folding folder.

Also some had to play about with the FLUSH_INTERVAL= ?? setting.

4. thraxed Guest

Alright here a screenshot to hopefully make this a little less painfull.

[​IMG]

5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    thraxed - does this lower your CPU usage with using the 9.6 drivers as well ??

6. thraxed Guest

Now whats interesting is you can mix the dll so use 32bit for one fold and 64 bit for the other. So you can fold 2x clients on one gpu. Yeah does lower my cpu usage as well as raised my pdd a 1000 pts.

7. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Nice..thanks for posting this.

Will try this out when I get my 4870's back running, just waiting on some WC connections for them.

Will be nice not using all of two cores while Folding

8. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you referring to X2 GPU's only? I can fold 2 clients on one GPU core, but combined PPD is always less than folding a single client. I am also only referring to Nvidia Clients.

More than 25k PPD
  9. thraxed Guest

Nah it should work with any ati card. Though the environment variables should help improve nvidia clients.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  10. thraxed Guest

Just thought I add my best combo for 9.6 folding Use Cat 9.1 (aticacl.dl_ & aticalrt64.dl_) for Gpu 0 and 9.6 both 64 bit versions seems to work the best, still can get gpu 0 to be stable, but atleast it works for atleast 24 hours to get a couple folds in. Anyone have a better solution for gpu0 folding?

11. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:

try with this flag maybe

first gpu: -gpu 0
    second gpu: -forcegpu ati_r700 -gpu 1

12. thraxed Guest

i even tried forcing it as an ati_600 lol, thats the config I'm using for gpu0, just seems anything about >9.4 wont fold stablely on gpu 0.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  13. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i read somewhere it only possible with xp are you using xp or vista?

edit: seem like a lot of people having issu with the second gpu of the 4870x2 :ohwell:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  14. thraxed Guest

To lazy to sign up for an ati developer account but was thinking maybe there a solution with stream sdk kit.