1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how to install game w/ cabinet file

Discussion in 'Games' started by adamRB_12, Mar 13, 2006.

1. adamRB_12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    someone burned my a copy of Thief 3: deadly shadows(it came on 3 discs) and after the first disc gets about 1/2 way done installing this pops up:

feature transfer error
    component: gamefiles_us
    file: d:\data2.cab
    error: data error (cycle redundancy check)

so then i put in the 2nd disk and theres a cabinet file on it and i dont know what to do with it. does anyone know how to install a game this way? :slap:

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    error: data error (cycle redundancy check) <-- means the disk is fucked. Or your reader is of course.

3. adamRB_12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i think its just the data2 file thatz fucked up. o well.

4. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont know if it is the same thing, but Cab files are used when programming SharePoint web parts. Pretty much a cab file contains many files bundled together into one. Thats what they do with map packs which is just put all the maps into one file. Hopefully it wasnt a needed cab file.

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Cab means cabinet, it's basically MS-zip(or rar or whatever you prefer). Usually installers just look for a few cabs and unpack them, when they're done they ask for a new CD. You can actually burn all files of such games/programs to a single DVD and it'll work without asking for CD's.
    So when you get the read error it simply asks for the file again. Either way, you need readable files.

6. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep yep...I just wanted to try to stay away from the word zip bc they are different extensions.