1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how to install new Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by HiddenStupid, Jul 30, 2009.

1. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    how to install new internal Hard Drive?

do i just connect the wires and turn on the computer and wala? or what do i have to do?

SATA. windows 7.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Yup, all you need to do is connect the power cable and SATA or IDE cable and turn the computer on. Although if the drive is IDE and is on the same cable as another drive, you will have to make one drive the slave drive and one the master drive. There should be a picture on each drive explaining how to make it master or slave.
  3. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Connect it...Then go to administrative tools...Then disc manager and format the drive you just installed.It will be ready to use after that.
  4. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ye thats about it ! You will need to go into my computer, left click on the new harddrive & sellect format. The drive will be not be usable untill its formated.

Hope you wasn't talking about the main drive with the OS on ? If so its not nearly so easy.
  5. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I'm 99% sure Vista and 7 will automatically find the drive and ask to format it upon booting, so you won't necessarily have to go into My Computer or Disk Manager.
  6. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Just make sure that the PSU is not turned on @the switch and be a good idea to touch the metal on the case before you go putting your hands inside the case
  7. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    forgot to mention i currently have ubuntu. i mean no hdd is installed on the machine. i can use it is just cause i use unbuntu live cd.... run from the cd not hdd.

so my situation right now is im using ubuntu live cd running straight from the cd. now i want to install a new hdd. how do i do that?

plug and go? and do i still have to reformat? or it do it auto like windows 7 like someone said?

im still planning to install windows 7 afte ri install the hdd. current os is none. im jus using unbuntu live cd.
  8. JUDOHAWK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Plug it in, boot from the cd, install ubuntu. Then it'll have you format before installing and you're good to go. Set up the partitions the way you want as well.
  9. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    as easy as judohawk said
  10. JUDOHAWK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, if you plan to install Windows 7, you might want to install linux first. So you can make a Windows 7 install disc. But if you can make one before hand, then just install HDD, boot from Win7 disc and follow the install instructions.
  11. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a doubt...^^^^is this applicable for adding a new hard disk????
    suppose if we are building a new system...with one sata hard disk drive...
    what do we have to do to install a HDD???:banghead:
  12. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^still no answers for this que??? :confused:

i asked this because i installed my first HDD in a shop...they used a floppy disk to install a driver for hard disk...

my doubt is.....do we need to install drivers using a floppy....(how is this procedure?)

OR can we install a HDD by connecting it to mobo and by changing options in bios??
  13. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your gonna install win 7, just plug in the HDD make sure it is detected by your BIOS. That's all you need. Win 7 installer will have a partitioning tool anyway. It'll show the HDD and then you can select to format it. No drivers required unless you have 2 or more HDD's of the same make.
    subhendu says thanks.