1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to know that my HD 7870 is faulty?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by N3trox, Apr 12, 2013.

1. N3trox New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currenty use a SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition OC and i believe that this card is one of the faulty ones that gives the infamous blackscreen problem. I contacted my retailer about it and they wanted the card, i sent them and they gave it back to me without doing anything, thay said that the card was fine. It's been a week till i got the card back and today the goddamn problem happened again. I checkec the other peoples videos about it and most of them have sound loops and buzzing but i don't but that's the only difference my monitor still loses signal and i haave to reboot my system manually i get no response to anything.(i only use a headset and i don't have my mobo buzzer attached) So i contacted them again and they wanted the card again and said this time proper acknowledgment were done. The thing is i want to be sure before sending the card back again. How can i make this problem pop up? Or know that my card is really faulty? It occurs so randomly...

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    If your motherboard has another PCI-Express slot, put the card in there and see if you get the same problem, or if you have a spare graphics card, use that for a while. Or have a friend use your card for a while to see if he has the issue.

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You checked with GPU-Z if it's a heat issue ?, although driver recovery normally kicks in but not always.

Changed HDMI cables just for the sake of trying it ?, i have had a HDMI cable work perfectly with one video card and not at all with another. And the cable used to work with the card when just stopped.

Could try making sure the power button of the system is selected in the power options to shutdown the system.

Maybe ask them what the possible course of this issue although it does seem like they think it's a card issue.

Try under clocking the video card though CCC GPU and memory.

4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Post system specs, Another member had a problem with Asus board

5. N3trox New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried every possible solution that i'm capable. Heats are fine and clocks are always under i always use it a bit under to avoid this issue but still the same... My Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE at 3.4 GHz (stock)
    ASUS M5A97 mobo
    Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz 8 GB DDR3 memory
    Aerocool VS-9 with Aerocool VP-550W PSU