1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to Make Windows Not Detect ATI Card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by The_NME, Sep 18, 2006.

1. The_NME New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I had a thread asking how to change the device ID as I thought that would be the best way for the ATI drivers not to find the card, but it looks like the idea wont work.

So, instead let me just throw this question out there. I have two cards - a x1800XL (primary) and a x300SE. Both PCI-E. I dont want the ATI drivers/Windows to find the x300SE per se. Instead I want Windows to specifically ask what driver I want it to use. I've tried pointing it to a specific driver to use, but upon a reboot (required to make the changes) it switches back.

So how do I go about doing this?
  2. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    tried downloading drivercleaner?
    btw, think that your ATi Driver for your x1800 is expanding to cover the x300 as well.
    but why do you need to have another driver on the x300?
  3. The_NME New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want the x1800 to keep using the ATI drivers, but I want the x300 to be able to use a custom driver. So long as Windows keeps autodetecting the x300, I am unable to force the custom driver on it. I need a way for Windows to "lose" the x300.

I was under the impression that it was detecting it based on the device ID (thats how the setup identifies it) but have had some problems with changing that ID.
  4. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    or you could just follow the monty python documentary: "How not to be seen"
    just follow the basic steps ;)
  5. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, if you make it so that windows can't recognize it, the driver would also not recognize the card.
    I think that what you are trying to do will be more trouble than it's worth..

but why do you need the custom driver for the x300? why can't you use Catalyst? what custom driver is it?

And what if you get right, couldnt the custom drivers interfere the same, just with the X1800 instead?