1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to monitor your software (exe) network activity?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chappy, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    In other words, How to know where a program software/EXE is trying to connect or communicate throughout the internet?

Example is I have this downloaded suspicious (exe) software that is clean in all virus scanners incl virustotal but when I execute it there's a possibility that its inconspicuously connecting/communicating in the internet. How can I monitor its network activity to where its communicating? Websites or ip addresses its trying to connect to.

Everyone knows windows firewall is useless... :rolleyes:
    So I'm going to block it through hosts.

2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.softperfect.com/

Try their free personal firewall. It's a good start to your problem.

If you want more control, try comodo firewall (also free)

Chappy says thanks.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If you're just packet sniffing, Wireshark is the best, free one available. You'll just have to set a filter up in there to look for specific ports and, if possible, applications.

Beware that packets are largely composed of binary data. You're not going to be able to make heads or tails of most of it without extensive research.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Comodo is a good one but I liked zone alarm more because of its simplicity and very user-friendly interface.

Oh No, not packet sniffing. That would indeed 'not going to be able to make heads or tails of most of it without extensive research.'

Thanks guys... :D