• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Reinstall Video Drivers (Quick Guide)

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard MSI X370 Titanium
Cooling Tt Water2.0 PRO (They use the same bracket as 3.0)
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 15-15-15-35 B-Die (@3333 ATM)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX R9 390 8GB
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Display(s) Samsung 46" UN46D6050 1080P HDTV
Case Home-made tech bench.
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX (I use HDMI though *cry*)
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Mouse Razer Copperhead (circa 2005)
Keyboard Tt Challenger Pro (AVOID! Keys wear super fast)
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Alright, I got around to finally going through with this since I was done figuring out what was causing the crashes. I found that it most likely was driver related since defaulting my system to factory clocks.

I didn't follow the guide in exactly the right order, I'll admit :\ I did find a few things out. Mainly, it seems so far that deleting almost every trace of ATi from the system AND registry, might not be the smartest of moves lol I've been looking at the laptop here typing this, and twice the Windows Repair has loaded which means that there was a fairly large error in booting into Windows >_> PROBABLY should've done the deletions in stages, but it's (IMO) kind of hard since every reboot would result in the system trying to install drivers, thus creating more work to clean up making it a non ending loop heh So I may have taken my cleaning, a bit too extreme.

I'll just list basically all I can remember, so someone can possibly point out my error, but also so some of you don't exactly follow in my footsteps since it'll lead you off a cliff :laugh:
  1. Ran Cat Install Manager (CIM), uninstalled everything.
  2. Ran Driver Sweeper and removed nVidia everything (this Windows install was previously on a nF4 S949 system).
  3. Zipped up my Cat installers under a non ATi name, because the last time I ever used Driver Sweeper it would remove them too and I didn't want to have to redownload anything :)
  4. Compressed some items in the WinXS\Backup folder to save space (100mb saved, my HDD has less than a gig free :()
  5. Went through the System32\DriverStore, DRVSTR and Drivers folders, deleting anything nV and ATi related. (this is the most likely move that could have been the error)
  6. Went through System32 also deleting anything ATi, AMD and nV related.
  7. Went through the Registry to see if indeed the entries in my previous post had been removed by CIM, they had not.
  8. Deleted every trace of ATi/AMD (had some residual AMD OverDrive items) and nVidia entries (this also could have been the error)
  9. Ran Driver Sweeper for ATi entries, none showed up.
  10. Went into Device Manager, uninstalled both 5770s and chose the "Delete drivers for this device" option
  11. Scanned for new hardware, the task tray popup appeared informing me it was installing new devices, then failed to do so. (probably why Window's isn't able to load, as a result of something above)

Window's Repair finally finished doing whatever it thought it could, which it was unable to repair anything. Reason given: "Problem Signature 07: BadDriver" (verbatim). It did list some other stuff, but nothing seemed of much relevance. By that I mean there were Problem signatures 1-7, with #1&2 being "6.1.7600.16385", #3 "unknown", #4 "24", #5 "AutoFailover" and #6 "1".

Trying to boot under SafeMode and it seems that my above move of deleting System32\Drivers files would indeed be the "oops" moment :S It starts loading the files, which they are all coming from that directory, and then BSOD and reboot (sadly I have it set to auto reboot so I don't get to see what it says).

Last ditch effort is to do "System Restore" in Windows Repair. I'll edit back with the results, not that it REALLY matters since the important info is above for what NOT to do! :laugh:
Me->:slap:<-Me

But while most people see this as a situation to get mad or frustrated over, I look at is as a learning experience that while it may have been my doing, I can easily undo it with a simple reinstall of windows ;) Which I had set on the back burner as what I'd end up doing if this uber-cleaning didn't fix the stability issue I've been having :p Live and learn!

EDIT: Alright... First off, System Restore failed for some reason. Couldn't copy an ATi file. Which if it was in the DriverStore folders I can understand it. But I thought System Restore had it's own storage area and so that wouldn't matter? :\ I noticed also in the F8 boot options to not restart on BSOD, so I've got the very short and vague error screen o_0 Pretty much your typical idiot message that starts with "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" following with "If this is the first time..." sentence and follows up with "Check for viruses..."

Only thing it gives is:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80786B58, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Never seen a solid 0 one before, let alone two! heh

So I think I'm left with reinstalling Windows, but I'm going to try a drastically radical idea first..... :D Erocker, check your PM lol

Last edited:
System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
I'll read tomorrow , just going to sleep.

In the meantime , check how much physical RAM you have , then go into system (mycomputer properties or in control panel) go for advanced and performance and advanced again and set pagefile(virtual memory) to [physical memory] + 100MB. Set it on C: (system) drive only , apply , ok , also in system properties there's a Startup & recovery settings , in system failure part , set to FULL SYSTEM MEMORY DUMP , from the dropdown , also deselect "automatically restart".

If you have Win7 , regedit , HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl , set CrashDumpEnabled to 1 , this will unlock full dump or else only small and kernel.

But anyways if you don't have problem with game , but only with drivers ,kernel dump (300 MB) might be just ok.

Recreate the problem and let it dump the memory , leave the PC in BSOD until it completes.

save all dumps and minidumps somewhere safe , sometimes they tend to disappear in a while when windows silently messes with them.

Last edited:
System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
very nice quick and easy guide erocker

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
I'll read tomorrow , just going to sleep.

In the meantime , check how much physical RAM you have , then go into system (mycomputer properties or in control panel) go for advanced and performance and advanced again and set pagefile(virtual memory) to [physical memory] + 100MB. Set it on C: (system) drive only , apply , ok , also in system properties there's a Startup & recovery settings , in system failure part , set to FULL SYSTEM MEMORY DUMP , from the dropdown , also deselect "automatically restart".

If you have Win7 , regedit , HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl , set CrashDumpEnabled to 1 , this will unlock full dump or else only small and kernel.

But anyways if you don't have problem with game , but only with drivers ,kernel dump (300 MB) might be just ok.

Recreate the problem and let it dump the memory , leave the PC in BSOD until it completes.

save all dumps and minidumps somewhere safe , sometimes they tend to disappear in a while when windows silently messes with them.

Yea, skimming what I posted didn't quite get you enough info :laugh: The biggest bit of info that renders your whole post ( not to sound like a jerk but...) rather useless is that I can't get into Windows, period. Not standard way, safe-mode, not even with Windows Repair using System Restore. Now I did just have an idea that I tried right now, using the "Last Known Good Configuration", and it actually got me partially into Windows. I mean partially, because it A) didn't BSOD and B) I have mouse and sort-of video (the Welcome Screen loaded), however; I have a bit of a problem which I think might have been from asking erocker to send me his ATi/AMD System32/Drivers files, and I think he uses x64. I use x86 and I think the file for video is not working. So all I have is a black screen with a mouse cursor :( :laugh:

I'm going to try deleting them. The PC did just randomly reboot and it is having a problem detecting something. I suspect it is possibly the DVD drive I put in so I could reinstall Windows, because it is hanging at the BIOS screen now :confused: I'm quite certain that is it, so I'll unplug that and attempt booting Windows before I go and delete those files. Finally loaded the BIOS. It doesn't detect my boot drive OR the Optical drive now lol Wonder why it decided to do this after my first POST... Oh well no problem I'll just unplug it lol

EDIT: Seems like "Last Known Good Configuration" saved me arse lol Although, during typing, after I had restarted due to a screen res change screw up, it has gone back to it's old routine so I'm going to have to try it again heh

While I should still reinstall Windows and move to x64 to utilize my full 4GB, I am going to put that off for when I get a new HDD. Thinking about the 640GB WD Caviar Black SATA6.

Last edited:
System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
When they didn't had the "caviar black" brand , i mixed the models "AALS" with "AAKS" and i thought AAKS was better (more cahce) but no , it's AALS that's now the black version. And i realized that a year later , too late...

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
When they didn't had the "caviar black" brand , i mixed the models "AALS" with "AAKS" and i thought AAKS was better (more cahce) but no , it's AALS that's now the black version. And i realized that a year later , too late...

And it isn't even that anymore it would see :eek:
WD6402AAEX
WD - Durr? :p
640 - 640GB
2 - SATA 6
AAEX - Who the hell knows:laugh:

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
If anything you'll be getting more infractions.

You are spreading lies, brand DOESN'T MATTER. You can install drivers anyway you'd like with any brand, ATI or Nvidia, it makes not a hell of a difference.

And i use a Nvidia card and i uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones, then of course i use driver sweeper.(i do the registry stuff if im switching brands, like if i went from Nvidia to ATI or vice versa.)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If anything you'll be getting more infractions.

You are spreading lies, brand DOESN'T MATTER. You can install drivers anyway you'd like with any brand, ATI or Nvidia, it makes not a hell of a difference.

And i use a Nvidia card and i uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones, then of course i use driver sweeper.(i do the registry stuff if im switching brands, like if i went from Nvidia to ATI or vice versa.)

No need to worry about it. The troll got his vacation.

As always if anyone has anything useful to add to this guide please feel free to post.

Thanks much. :toast:

System Name KOV
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
Cooling H100i Cappellix White
Memory Corsair 3600kHz 32GB
Video Card(s) RX 7900XT
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500gb, Corsair 500gb ssd, 500GB 840 pro & 1TB samsung 980pro. M2.SSD 960 evo 250GB
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B 165mhz, Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD 165mhz
Case Corsair 680x
Audio Device(s) ON Board and Hyper X cloud flight wireless headset and Bose speakers
Power Supply AX1200i Corsair
Mouse Logitech G502x plus lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed and G13 gamepad
Software windows 11
thanks a lot for this

Bo7jab

TY very much it helped in ccc cross fire cant apear in the tap

hope for you best of luke it solved my proplem if i may can i post thes wep for thos who have same proplem ty

nice guide. you can also uninstall with revo uninstaller and then use wise registry and disk cleaner. hence you won't bother with emptying/deleting the folders and messing with regedit.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Updated.

Added new link to Driver Sweeper.

As always if anyone has any useful tips please post them!

Thanks.

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270bmiix & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Erocker, I have always followed your guide for installing drivers. However, I tend to alter the saturation amount in CCC and I've noticed that even after I have followed the guide, when the new drivers are installed the saturation amount and also my gaming settings (Catalyst AI disabled) etc, remain the same. What Am I missing? I'll attempt to put down my procedure to see if you can see what I'm missing -

1. Uninstall CCC, reboot

2. Regedit - HKEY CURRENT USER/Software/Delete ATI Folder
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Delete AMD & ATI Technologies Folders

3. C: Users/My Name/AppData/Local/Delete ATI Folder
Empty Temp Folder

C: Users/My Name/AppData/Roaming/Delete ATI Folder
Also virtual store if any ACE entries in there

4.C: Delete ATI Folder
C:program Files/Delete ATI Folder
Delete ATI Technologies Folder

C:program Files(x86)/Delete ATI Technologies Folder
Check Temp Folder and delete if necessary

C:program Data/Delete ATI Folder

C:Windows/Empty Prefetch & Temp Folders
Delete atiogl.xml and ativpsrm.bin files

REBOOT

Install new drivers

So what am I missing buddy? It has me a bit flummoxed.

EDIT - OK it seems I have missed Driver Sweeper....DUH. Never seen the new one before either, nice. I'll give it a whirl and see if it does the trick.

Last edited:
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Erocker, I have always followed your guide for installing drivers. However, I tend to alter the saturation amount in CCC and I've noticed that even after I have followed the guide, when the new drivers are installed the saturation amount and also my gaming settings (Catalyst AI disabled) etc, remain the same. What Am I missing? I'll attempt to put down my procedure to see if you can see what I'm missing -

1. Uninstall CCC, reboot

2. Regedit - HKEY CURRENT USER/Software/Delete ATI Folder
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Delete AMD & ATI Technologies Folders

3. C: Users/My Name/AppData/Local/Delete ATI Folder
Empty Temp Folder

C: Users/My Name/AppData/Roaming/Delete ATI Folder
Also virtual store if any ACE entries in there

4.C: Delete ATI Folder
C:program Files/Delete ATI Folder
Delete ATI Technologies Folder

C:program Files(x86)/Delete ATI Technologies Folder
Check Temp Folder and delete if necessary

C:program Data/Delete ATI Folder

C:Windows/Empty Prefetch & Temp Folders
Delete atiogl.xml and ativpsrm.bin files

REBOOT

Install new drivers

So what am I missing buddy? It has me a bit flummoxed.

Your old profile(s) in the AppData folder. First you need to go to the Control Panel->Folder Options->View and tick "Show hiden files, folders, and drives.

Then go to your Documents folder (Folder with your name on it)->AppData and get rid of the ATi folders in the Local and Roaming folders. Should be good to go from there. :toast:

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
i'm guessing there's an equivalent for nvidia. I'm thinking about clearing them out... some icons and such aren't smoothing correctly and i'm seeing rough edges and fonts. I dunno if its the Win7 display optimization wizard messing with it or a setting in the nVidia control panel

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270bmiix & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Your old profile(s) in the AppData folder. First you need to go to the Control Panel->Folder Options->View and tick "Show hiden files, folders, and drives.

Then go to your Documents folder (Folder with your name on it)->AppData and get rid of the ATi folders in the Local and Roaming folders. Should be good to go from there. :toast:

I already delete those folders as part of my normal procedure unfortunately. I just decided to try out a fresh driver install with driver sweeper incorporated and I still had the pre-modified colour settings and 3D settings when the new driver was installed.

This is really puzzling but it signifies to me that it is not a complete, clean install of new drivers(at least for me anyway) so I want to get to the bottom of it. Anyone else care to chip in, see my current procedure three posts above and see if you can find what I'm missing. Thanks

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Quick question. In the past have just uninstalled and installed and rarely have had an issue. Both ATI and Nvidia. Ok I had some issues with XP but nothing serous. Is this guide just when your having problems?

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Quick question. In the past have just uninstalled and installed and rarely have had an issue. Both ATI and Nvidia. Ok I had some issues with XP but nothing serous. Is this guide just when your having problems?

It's an in depth guide on how you should uninstall/reinstall drivers, so those are recommend steps to take even when you're not having an issue.

Generally yes, you won't run into issues just by doing a standard uninstall/reinstall of drivers especially if it's from the same manufacturer, but it's always best to clean everything out before applying new drivers to prevent conflicts.

Corduroy_Jr

Processor Phenom II 965
Motherboard Biostar TA870+
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Performa
Memory Kingston hyperx 1600mhz 2x8gb
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 6870 DirectCU II 990/1250 stock volts
Storage Seagate 500gb, Wd 1tb black
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2433BW 24
Case Thermaltake v3 black edition
Audio Device(s) onboard, Logitech x540
Power Supply Antec true power modular 650 watt
Software Windows 7 x64 ultimate
this new amd 6850 has giving me nothing but headaches since i got it, all other games run ok, but for bc2 it crashes after 10 mins of game play, so i put settings in bios at factory, and installed the driver disk that came with the card, yet i still crash, so there after i pulled out the 6850 and put my 8800gts back in played bc2 for a hour with not a single problem. i follow your guide with drive cleaner then rebooted then when went to install amd drivers 11.6, i get i error saying Application Install: install package failure!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
this new amd 6850 has giving me nothing but headaches since i got it, all other games run ok, but for bc2 it crashes after 10 mins of game play, so i put settings in bios at factory, and installed the driver disk that came with the card, yet i still crash, so there after i pulled out the 6850 and put my 8800gts back in played bc2 for a hour with not a single problem. i follow your guide with drive cleaner then rebooted then when went to install amd drivers 11.6, i get i error saying Application Install: install package failure!

Worst case scenario is to reinstall windows, course i noticed that both companies are guilty of making it impossible to change to a diff chip brand with drivers- like it leaves code in to prevent you from installing another

the other option is to reinstall the game and check the settings in the game itself, run the machine at non overclocked speed.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
i get i error saying Application Install: install package failure

It's for Microsoft Visual C++ which is already installed. Ignore it.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench

bellaedward

ist of all you have to check that any error in the driver should not b occurred. then u must know which driver is exactly suitable for your graphic card. then install the driver properly and check that there should not b any failure of electricity or any irrelevant key should not b pressed

Visual C Runtimes

If I uninstall all instances of Visual C++ runtimes a lot of dependant applications will not work anymore or am I wrong?
I notices I have quite a lot of these runtime installations. Apps seem to use different versions of it.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If I uninstall all instances of Visual C++ runtimes a lot of dependant applications will not work anymore or am I wrong?
I notices I have quite a lot of these runtime installations. Apps seem to use different versions of it.

You don't need to remove them unless you are still having problems with installing drivers. Your best bet is to google them and reinstall them from Microsoft. There's 2005, 2008 and 2010 versions. Once they are all installed, run Windows Update a few times to make sure they are up to date. I'm actually going to remove that part since I don't think it is necessary any longer.

Last edited: