1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to remove preinstalled Windows Vista applications?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by newconroer, Dec 14, 2008.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Coming off a non modified boot image, how does one get rid of things like IE explorer, Windows Mail, Movie Maker and the other typical stuff that comes with Windows installs?

With Xp, you could modify the Sysoc.ini file to 'show' 'hidden' installations, but Vista doesn't have such a file.

I am assuming some of the Program Files, such as Windows Mail, can probably just be deleted manually. It doesn't warn of registry conflicts, but it does block access to some of the files, thus requiring an ownership maneuver.

I am not too stressed about trolling through the registry to remove unused keys.

I am though annoyed by IE still showing it's face when using other browsers, and I want it gone completely, without trace.

I've heard of "PC Decrapifier" but that was a joke. It didn't find ONE thing on my system other than what I've manually installed.

2. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Hm.. subbing

3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    PC Decrapifier is meant for prebuilt computers to get rid of the BS companies put on the computers.

4. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    U can't uninstall IE 7 in vista u know because it's part of windows core. So if u do delete IE7, u'll just probably damage it.

5. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    If you vlite an installation , you can lose just about anything. However I`m guessing you want to avoid that , so you`re prolly out of luck !

6. thraxed Guest

well for vista you can remove access stuff using vLite to make a new install dvd. XP you can use nlite. Simple to use, plus you can slipstream updates as well as service packs and integrate drives, as well as make it fully automated.

http://www.vlite.net
    http://www.nliteos.com

though removing IE out of vista is impossible for it intermixed with the shell.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  7. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, lites would work to some extent, however they can be treacherous. I haven't had much luck with installing Service Packs after installing stripped OS.

It really comes down to two things:

Do the preinstalled programs have an install record

If not, what are the consequences of manually deleting them?

I can't see things like Movie Maker or Windows Calender being a threat, however I have read reports of Windows Update failing simply because the Windows Calender could not be addressed.

If these programs were easily obtainable, then one could reinstall them when needed, but to my knowledge they aren't.

8. Haytch

Haytch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive been using vlite for some time now, and nlite for many years before that. I can honostly say that i have never ever experienced an operating system issue that i never caused myself.

Yes it is possible to completely remove most things without the ripple effect occuring on the rest of the o.s

9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, there's nothing inherintley wrong with the Lite programs. THEY don't cause the problem.
    However, removing some applications and some 'help' files from an install, is entirely different than turning a 5gb MSDN into a 800mb slim-jim.

There's only so much Windows code that a Unix programmer can tolerate trying to identify.

I think the main thing to do will be manually delete and / or compress the data and shove it to the inner tracks of the hard disk.

At least the good news is SP2 is installed.

God what a nightmare.

10. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I stripped out most of those things in vlite and vista just became really unstable. Windows mail was a massive problem, IM programs wouldn't work etc and I had to go back to a vanilla copy of vista. Also I couldn't find anywhere I could reinstall them, apart from windows mail but even then I had massive amounts of errors.

11. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Ya, that is the crux. Without a database to pull the content back from, you don't have much recourse.

I'm really keen to give Windows 7 a whirl, given it's architecture changes, but it might be a bit too early for that.

I can just see it now.. "This program requires Vista Service Pack 1" WHAT!? ****

12. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I found windows 7 to be quite stable and quick :) If my old 40gb HDD hadn't died the other day R.I.P :rolleyes: i'd still have it. Give the beta a go because vista drivers work well on it from what I've tried.

newconroer says thanks.
  13. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I suppose as long as no particular programs call for one of the Service Packs from Vista, it should be alright.

Thanks for the note.

14. Dark_Webster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, if you take IE out, MSN Messenger will be unable to connect. Some Windows-designed programs have dependencies on IE. Take Steam as an example.