1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to Set up a Backup Device?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ohmystars80, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ohmystars80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I'm trying to get an automated solution going. What I need is some device/drive that copies any and all changes made to your PC onto a backup drive automatically. I don't want it to overwrite anything, I need previous versions of the same file to be available.
    If I even need to go back to a previous version of a file I deleted (damn I hate when I do that!!) I would like to use windows directory or maybe my browser to go to the device/drive and fine the file. So, if I make a change to a file I would have all the previous versions if I needed it.
    I would want it to be a complete system copy – it would in effect take a complete image of my HDD so I can use it to restore the system to the last working image – I really need this, since I keep getting a viruses from blogs and forums.
    I mean, it would be like a normal usb portable drive, maybe 1TB – but it would do all this stuff automatically, and when I need a file or a fresh re-imaging I would go into a simple Windows like interface and do it.
    I think 1 TB would be enough, and I don’t know if there is any software that would delete the older files if it needs more space for the newer files.
    Does such a device/drive exist?

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Maybe RAID 1? As far as software solutions, I will be honest. No clue here!

EDIT:
    ... in continuation ...

Then again RAID 1, will not keep a "previous" copy of an old file.

3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    More than likely you need to get your own drive (external or internal) of the size you want and use imaging software( I myself, use Acronis True Image, which, I do have on a schedule to run every other day when computer is idle and when disk is full it overwrites the oldest data.)

Or :http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=355&language=en

http://www.goclickfree.com/

http://www.maxtor.com/en/hard-drive-backup/external-drives/maxtor-onetouch-4-plus.html

Or try one of these:http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=3&sort=4

4. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    Have you tired the built in windows backup tool?

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    RAID is per definition not a backup. RAID 1 is a mirror, ie virus = bye bye data. Editing your word document and figuring you just deleted 6 hours of work = bye bye data.

How much data are you trying to backup? If the TB disk is enough for you (they're dirt cheap nowadays anyway) I'd put one of those in some external box and simply use ntbackup to do an incremental backup. Do make sure you disconnect to drive after a backup and place it somewhere else. If it's connected it'll still be a target of viruses and the likes.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  6. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Try Cobian, its free and works well.

7. ohmystars80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help guys - I'll post back if I run into any problems trying to set this up!