1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to set up desktop to powersaving mode?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darkgundam111, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I want to be able to put my gaming desktop in power saving mode for now while I sometimes connect to it with my phone to do things. How would I go about changing settings to do this?
  2. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Control panel > power options (or whatever their called in windows 7 - vista ftw)
    Darkgundam111 says thanks.
  3. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh thats it? no fancy settings or anyting? easier than I thought haha thanks cheesy999
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    do that, or put it in sleep mode (its one of the options in the start menu), that power saving mode will ruin PCI-E link speed and such so i use high power mode and put the pc in hibernate or sleep when im not using it
    Brandenburg and Darkgundam111 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get kinda deep on power savings compared to most everyone I've ever met. If you have the option to sleep/hibernate like the others mentioned, then do it! Otherwise . . .

Firstly you have Cool'n'Quiet on your PII BE, which lowers the CPU multiplier and voltage when the computer is idling (or low load). The advantage for CnQ is pretty good, probably between 10-30W. I take it a step further and I use PhenomMsrTweaker which is like CnQ on crack. I go from 3.7GHz@1.41V to 2.0GHz@0.99V. The power savings is 30W at idle using a Kill-A-Watt meter. Obviously your monitor should be sleeping when your computer is left idle for >10 minutes.

Turning down the speed of fans or letting your mobo regulate them (using speedfan) can save a couple watts.

In the Windows power settings you can allow the computer to turn off HDDs that aren't being used, which if you have several (like me), can be about 10-15W. I never tested the PCIE link speed thing but it's probably not a whole hell of a lot; I use it anyway. For that extra 0.00001% power savings you can temporarily disable unnecessary services and programs that are wasting cycles. A couple of things in that 0.00001% are disabling the Windows 7/Vista dynamic background and using a blank black screensaver.

You'll also want to make sure that your graphics cards underclock when they're not being used. I don't know what kind of power saving features nvidia uses.
    Darkgundam111 and scaminatrix say thanks.
  6. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    The only time i see power saving works best are on laptops,you will see difference in performance/response time when the laptop is set in power saving.Why it drops is because its conserving power obviously and to do that it lowers all the hardware performance.While on desktop i don't really see much difference in performance/response time in power/balance or high.
    Thats from my experience anyway.
  7. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    gonna try that cool n quiet stuff, since I don't want to do sleep or hibernate as that would shut off my wifi