1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to specifically define faulty VRAM chip

Discussion in 'General Software' started by tidyboyd, Feb 28, 2013.

1. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm after software (or any other method) that can specifically locate which RAM chip on the PCB is faulty as there are 12 and I have no other idea on how to distinguish which one the problem chip might be as there all mounted via BGA.

Also if there is such a piece of software out there that does this job could the problem also be that the BGA isnt soldered correctly?

If anybodies wondering I have no guarantee, I'm reasonably proficient and I'm really just interested in trying to fix it.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

2. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anybody have any ideas? I cant seem to find anything that does the job

3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    What makes you suspect you have a faulty VRAM chip?

4. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never heard of any such standalone software. I'm sure some RAM companies have specialized software/hardware of doing such things.

*Found some things here...
    There's a lot of information here: http://www.simmtester.com/

You may find a solution (using pinouts, multimeter, etc) without having to buy the extra hardware.

tidyboyd says thanks.
  6. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just buy from Amazon, if your product doesn't seem to be working correctly return it for replacement. Amazon pays shipping both ways... /shrug

7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Once you determine what RAM chip is bad, what do you expect to accomplish? RAM chips aren't user replaceable You can't buy them individually and even if you manage to get across one you'll need a BGA solder machine.

If your graphic card has warranty just return it. If it doesn't you could try your hand at a laptop repair center, some might have a re-balling service (I was able to fix an Xbox 360 that way).

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Used bga solder stuff can be had for a pretty good price, so its not THAT unlikely the op has one.

9. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do have a reballing machine handy (a really good one actually :))and I'm in the process of removing bits and testing on an old x600 to see if its viable. I have a spare card exactly the same model that the broken RAM chip is coming from. They do have a Samsung logo on and a model number so I presume I could purchase it separate? Not relevant in this instance though.

Ill check out Amazon thanks the the tip

And ill be checking through that simtester website tonight thanks a bunch for that erocker although because it is a BGA I didnt think I would be able to test with a multimeter, thanked :)

Will let you know how I get on

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  10. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know this thread is a bit dated but I though I should update what happened. I removed the RAM chip, realised the BGA was different to anything I had so I had to buy a stencil that matched the grid correctly from here:

www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

But as I'm a lazy bugger I haven't taken precise measurements of the BGA necessary and sent them yet, I'm also now debating whether to do it at all, time will tell :)

11. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    just replace all the chips there cheap enough that you could even goto a larger chip

12. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Didnt think the memory would work in that sense because of the BIOS but I know next to nothing about BIOS's so you could well be right. Yea I could buy some new, I havent investigated whether they come complete with the solder already attached but I would presume they do. Ill keep the thread alive if I get on the case in the next month or so for others to bounce off

13. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    That's something I've wondered for awhile - If cards need a special bios for non-standard memory sizes. If not it would make getting customized cards a wee bit easier.

14. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    the bios you can edit
    what card is it

15. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    The card I was originally modding was an x600 but I have a radeon 7950 here, a gtx 670 thats showing the same similar artifacts and a radeon 6870 that again is showing similar problems.

How exactly can one go about editing the BIOS for upgraded memory? Is it really that simple?

16. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    3 cards same problem...
    I am betting something else at work(power supply)
    if its just displaying the occasional line or 3 across the screen thats normal for ati cards

just edit the bios with RBE and change the amount of memory

17. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    If it is 3 cards displaying the same artifacts I'd check my cable and then monitor...

18. tidyboyd

tidyboyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    My rigs aren't the issue, the cards have all been tested separately in different machines. Also all 3 cards malfunctioned in different rigs at large spaces between, they've just been laying around with me being lazy n all but yea normally I would check the PSU if that was the case.

Ive been fixing them for years I just thought it would be a good exercise to repair the devices down to component level to improve my own knowledge and maybe fix other peoples cards which I'm still convinced can be done to a reasonable level.

Does RBE allow for changing VRAM size? After looking at the list of things it can do I didn't see it, also does changing the VRAM have any effect on power consumption if its possible to complete the surgery?