1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to Speed up Win7 and other Questions

Discussion in 'General Software' started by F4ketribal, Jan 1, 2012.

1. F4ketribal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey I was wondering how to speed up Windows 7 I ave good computer specs but it's gotten WAY slower since It was new *ofc computers do that* But I have trouble with typeing and listening to any type of music at the same times alot of the time it freezes up the song as I type and can barely type like 3 words at full speed Im also wondering how to Transfer an Old Xp Os Or Ubuntu onto a Ssd *Ive asked this multiple times no help at all* *No offence* but for my system specs Im running Very slow even if this thing was really old but its basically brand new here's my Specs tell me if you think it's running slow for the stuff in it

It was also like a 3k Computer Built from Scratch here's a list of the parts
    Can anyone help me with max performance Im currently running Windows 7 on a 1Tb Hitachi HDD And also have Windows Xp on an old Samsung

How do you also get the thing under your post name what your comp specs Are?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Buy an SSD, do a fresh install of windows... that will solve the operating system speed issue

3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:

Going by this and ur other thread sounds like theirs a hardware fault somewhere in ur system. Best bet is the ram is bad, try another set.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012
  4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  5. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Since one else seems to have actually read your post. It seems like your computer is just in really bad need of some maintenance. When was the last time you defragged, cleaned temp files, clean the registry, etc. It seems like a quick run through of Ccleaner, Spybot S&D, and then defrag could do your system worlds of good.

Second, the windows rating system is not measure in "operations per second". Those numbers have no unit of measure which is why most people ignore what they say.

You do need to install your SSD. There should be a thread in the hardware section with step by step instructions on how to do that. If you have a retail disc of Win7 and want to do it the simple way, remove your current HDD, install the SSD, and install windows from scratch. Once you get the system back up and running, install the HDD as a secondary drive, make sure you boot from the SSD, and then you can copy over your personal data in the user folder if you want. You cannot do this with programs though. If you have Steam you can install Steam, do not log in, copy the very large "C:/Program files/Steam/SteamApps" folder to the new install, and then log in. All the rest of your data should be rebuilt by Steam via their could storage service. Once this is done, you can start deleting all the folders you don't need and reorganize the HDD into a secondary storage device.

Your memory is most likely just fine.

6. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    You have a ssd and it's not installed? Why is that? Hook it up, do a fresh install of Win 7. Score 5.9 is max WEI for mechanical HDD. You can add your specs under User CP.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    and 24GB with only 16GB usable is a problem as well. either you're running a low end version of win7 that cant use it, or you've got one of the bugs (too tight CPU cooler, etc) causing it to not work properly.

8. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Considering where it stopped, he has Home Premium. Since that RAM is being wasted, you should really just remove it and sell it or something. 12 GB is plenty.

9. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:

Wow, are you serious, you actually talk to people like that?

Anyways back to the original post... he mentions that things go slowly.. that isnt indicative of bad ram... bad ram would be blue screens and crashes.

He mentions that he wants to "Transfer" his operating systems to an SSD and that has me wondering if he has previously transferred his old OS installations across from his old PC to his new i7 one and this is the cause of the slow performance.

Best solution in my mind still is for him to reinstall windows on an SSD and see if that runs fine, if that does, then use that instead of the old mechanical drives... you have nothing to lose if you already have the SSD

10. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Years ago I put shutdown /r in the startup folder of xp and let it run for 2 days. I had 2 of the exact same machines and the other one booted in 1/4 the time as the one I rebooted for 2 days. I'd hope someone figures out why and fixes it. I blame Windows.

Acronis True Image works great for copying drives. Get the SSD in there. Harddrives slow over time as sectors fail and get relocated and as error recovery has to work harder.

Shut off Windows Search and Superfetch services. They are I/O whores. When those two services are humping your drive you'll just have to wait for sloppy seconds.

There's a ton of info on the web about tweaks that claim to make Windows faster. I quit trying though. When my OS feels slow I reinstall it. It sucks but you'll spend more time trying to fix what MS screwed up then it'll take to do a clean install.

He's from New York. ;)

twicksisted says thanks.
  11. mod2max

mod2max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows is the problem here... you need to reinstall Windows.

I cannot help you with the SSD install, simply because I don't have the time.

1. Reinstall Windows

2. Turn off unnecessary services, heres a guide to what service does what and what the site believes is safe to turn off > http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

3. Change boot options > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSLzvm-np8&feature=related

4. Follow the below anyway...

If you don't fancy reinstalling Windows then try these:

1. Defrag

2. Disk Cleanup

3. Buy TuneUp Utilities (If you can afford it, it's a really good piece of software) or download a 15 day trail from > http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/download/

4. If you don't want to pay out for TuneUp Utilities you can get a free piece of software called CCleaner which is a registry cleaner which you can download from > http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

4. Turn off or tune system animations by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Under the heading "Performance" click "Settings"

5. In the same location as described above, click the "Advanced" tab and under the heading "Virtual memory" click "Change" and either manually set the page file size or let system manage it.

12. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rude much!

I would get rid of 12 gig of RAM (FFS 24gig) re-install you OS on the SSD.
    Job done.

As was pointed out Acronis true image is great but even better would be to back up your must have files and re-install.

13. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Go here. Don't forget to select "Yes" on the drop-box right at top ("Show System Specs"). :)

14. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    There are many ways to speed up Windows 7 one is using a registry cleaner ( I use Registry mechanic ) along with Cclean and defragler . I also use windows 7 manager . Tweaking the system services as well makes it much faster . Black Viper This guy does a bang up job on helping me tweak my system now it is supper fast well for me that is . good luck . :toast:

15. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    this isnt right.

16. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    He probably has a Win7 Home Premium.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    oh i never thought of that.

18. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:

Write-back cache OFF:

[​IMG]

Write-back cache ON:

[​IMG]

Millennium says thanks.
  19. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  20. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use game accelerator from micheal zacharias[free] ,can be used for any software, shuts down services in background, i also use ssd tweaker by elpamsoft[free] and have used the ocz forum tweaks too why not?