1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to stop anti-static?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1nf3rn0x, Jul 13, 2010.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Going to be soon transplanting my 2nd rig to a new case. Lost my anti static band, cbf finding it. IS there anyway I can ground myself in the process of moving the parts to the new case without any static building up? Thanks :D Also while I'm at it..do you wear any anti-static apparel?
  2. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    i never wore it and no poblem up to now in 10 years of computers repair and new build. Just touching the metal frame prior to it with both hands will discharge you and after anyway you always keep an hand on the metal frame while doing it no? ;)
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  3. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Just the frame of the case? So everytime before I touch a component touch the case with both hands and keep one hand on the case (or try to) while installing the parts?
  4. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Same, except mines 2 years...

Just give the case a tap and your sorted.
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. Seriously, don't go overboard with the Antistatic stuff. Just touch the case with both hards before working on components. Also, keep the rig off of carpets. Beyond that, no worries. After 100 or so builds, and 100's of repairs, I've never had an issue.

Yes, but even keeping one hand on the case is overkill. I'll just hold the case with both hands for about 5 seconds each time I walk away and come back to work on it.
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  6. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    K thanks to everyone! I will probably make a project log the build!
  7. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    first both hand to circulate the electrical static your body stored and after anyway you are sometimes touching the case itsel because you are installing ocmponents
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  8. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    I tend to lean on the case anyway, but I've installed hardware wearing a woolen sweater, with socks on carpet and the parts on the bed and I haven't killed them.
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    same in 15 years, and never worried about touching ground
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  10. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Hmm...it seems i've lost my thanks button:S
  11. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I've never had a problem, it's hard to not touch a case when working on a computer so you should be fine. I've been pretty sure I've shorted something in the past when building and nothing has happened.
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  12. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, leave the power cord plugged in to the wall and PSU - but with power turned OFF - to actually ground the metalwork of the PC's case.
    1nf3rn0x and dr emulator (madmax) say thanks.
  13. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bad idea cause you are putting current in the psu anyway even if computer is closed. cause electromagnatic fields that could more easily make you discharge static.
    erocker and 1nf3rn0x say thanks.
  14. Dice

Dice

Thanks Received:
    errr. what?
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  15. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    best one i've heard yet,
    hm we could go through the basics like a case that's on a table won't discharge anything other than sending static through the whole case:laugh::slap:
    seriously though a piece of copper wire attached to a radiator ground attached to your arm, if your realy worried.
    personally i just put everthing i need on the table first, then tools at the side of me on a chair, and lock me old dears mogs out the room touch the radiator and i'm off:D
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  16. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    just be on your bare feet touching the ground. put in the PSU first. then connect it to the powersupply socket and make sure the PSU is recieving power. then rub your hands on the case. the case is grounded due to the grounding od the PSU. simple as that.

or if you have time, get rings for 3 fingers, solder some wire to connect em all, solder a longer wire and then connect the longer wire to the Chassis via a clip or something :D
  17. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    So...the first thing to put in the case will be the psu, then HDD, then optical drive, then the motherboard which already has cpu and ra on it then install the gpu, connect all power plugs and i'm done? During the process do not turn on the psu, and i'm confused. Do i leave the power supply connected to the wall outlet but off? Or it does nothing and all I have to do is touch the case?
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Rubbish.

Absolutely do not power up the PSU until the build is done. Having the PSU plugged in isn't going to help with static electricity, it will help ground whatever power that is being output by the PSU. Put the parts in that is easiest for you to do. I put the PSU in last so I know where to route the wires. Don't worry about static, just don't go wearing socks and rubbing your feet all over the carpet. Wear a metal watch maybe? Either way, unless it's completely dry out and everything you touch gives you a shock, there's absolutely nothing to be concerned about.
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  19. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    I didn't plug my PSU in, just work in a good area like a wooden table or something. People are really overthinking this. Just don't rush the build and you'll be fine.
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  20. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    K, thanks :D I'm getting the case today, so just to make sure.
  21. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Have fun :toast: I love building PCs, nothing like having boxes of new hardware to open. It's like Christmas morning :D Just remember to take it slow, my first build took me about 3 hours and that was without any cable management lol
  22. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    I lol'd at some of the suggestions...

After a bitchy day, it was welcome relief.

Thanks guys :toast:
  23. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    lol i don't do nothin i have a strap used it once keep coming unplug so i lost it and now i don't worry about because when installing stuff your always going to end up touching the case at some time i even use a magnetic screwdriver, there is to much superstition out thier
  24. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    lol i kneel on a carpet with piss poor lighting sometimes, im not worried because i dont rub my socks on the ground when i do some pc work. yeah im hardcore
  25. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Im the more hardcore!
    [​IMG]

Note: this is not me