1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to stop my HD5770 from "frequency jumping" the GPU??

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Siluro, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Siluro

Siluro New Member

Thanks Received:
    So here is the thing:
    Some games tend to make my video card really hot, at which point it starts switching the core clock back and forth between 860 and 600 MHz (I have the Sapphire Vapor-X edition). As a result the temp doesn't really drop at all, however the framerate does - very noticeably at that.
    How do I get rid of this? It's getting really annoying :banghead:

2. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried turning on v-sync?

3. Siluro

Siluro New Member

Thanks Received:
    I play almost everything with v-sync on. Which reminds me that I've had this card for about an year and a half now and I don't remember experiencing this up to a certain point. Is it possible that AMD changed something with the drivers to make the card run much hotter when certain effects are on? I mean it hits 105 degrees Celsius according to my Afterburner tool...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  4. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't sound like a card problem, more like a cooling problem, perhaps the thermal paste, or dust clugging in behind the fans/heatsink fins. I had the same problem with my 4850 back in the day, after cleaning it, load temps went back to 75* celcius. Anyhow i don't think its normal for any graphics card to be 105* load no matter the cooler, must be a cooling issue...

5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Turn graphics card fan up manually? I'd rather battle with the noise of a fan at 70% than have 70 degree C heat. I had that same card too, has it still got warranty? Should do if you bought it brand new.

I didn't like the heat from some of the components on my card too, so I put some extra little heat-sinks all over every component I could. It helped lots :)

How mine looked after:
    http://img.techpowerup.org/120627/SAM_0492.jpg
    http://img.techpowerup.org/120627/SAM_0503.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I am going to have to go with scam here. I would download MSI after burner and setup a custom fan profile that would increase fan speed as temps rise.

Crunching for Team TPU