1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to stop windows 8.1 upgrade prompt

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ste2425, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Hi all I have windows 8.

Every other week I get a banner in the middle of the screen on boot up asking me to upgrade to 8.1. I can cancel out of it but it is annoying. I know the benefits of upgrading and also the trouble many people have had and to be truthful I don't feel I will benefit enough to go through a re-install to get to 8.1. So the question, is there any way to stop this irritating pop up?

Thanks all.

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to reinstall anything. You literally, just update too it. Everything stays intact. Its a damn service pack like all other Windows major updates after they release.

3. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Strange, how come then the lads at work had to re-install to update? Would it be if they had an upgrade version of win 8?

4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, install the update.

The idea with the update is that you keep everything you have the same, such as files, programs, folders etc... just with added updates.

Unless of course, something unintended occurs, something goes wrong for instance.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, Windows 8.1 is basically a Service Pack, no re-installation required.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    It does create a windows.old file like it is a reinstall, but it keeps everything you have intact. Just use the disk cleanup utility in Windows to get rid of it properly.

7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I agree that the OP should install the update, but the point is that there's a non-killable intermittent prompt to install it. Microsoft are obviously using this ploy to eventually irritate you enough into giving in and installing it, which I think is a bit naughty and they shouldn't do this.

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well its a good thing common sense prevailed in this case then with all the other posts. Don't like the update prompt? Download Linux.

9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Shame your post doesn't have common sense, isn't it?

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The shame is some peoples reading comprehension and sense of entitlement of which they have none.

11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I don't know whether you're having a dig at me or at others, so let's just leave it there, lol.

12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Microsoft is such a terrible company, that's why they wrote a nice technet article on disabling the prompt if you wanted to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/jj721676.aspx

13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Why didn't you post this link before for the OP in your first reply and solving his problem instead of being such a smartass with me, huh? Not so clever now are you.

Looking at that MS article, I see one still has to hack around with the registry to stop the prompt. It's obvious that they do this to make it difficult for people to turn it off, especially if they don't know much about computers, which you should know. So yeah, my original point that they're being a bit naughty still stands.

Check your facts before you get snarky with me again.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really.

15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Because at the time I made my first post I didn't know this article existed. Your post made me interested in figuring out exactly how hard it really was to disable the prompt. This article was the first google link I clicked on...

Actually it tells you how to do it via group policy as well. Also, I wouldn't put modifying one key in the registry above the user expertise of the common user on this forum. But if that is too hard there are plenty of google results that walk the user through it step by step or just provide the registry file for you so it is a simple double click and your done. My point was that Microsoft isn't exactly making the information to get rid of the prompt a secret, if they were as evil as you say, they would have made it impossible to disable.

I've got my facts right. Maybe you should check your facts before getting snarky with me again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    mailman and nt, you clowns tend to come as a pair, don't you?

Lots of strawman arguments from you nt as usual that I really can't be bothered to go round in circles with. No, your facts are not right and regardless you don't have a right to such a stinking attitude to a fellow forum member.

Finally, when you start being snarky with me (you made the first unpleasant post to me right?) you'll get it all right back and I'll put you in your place, so think twice bro.

17. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    So you don't actually have any valid argument against me, so you'll just say I'm wrong, hope everyone believes you despite you having nothing to back you up, and call me a clown. Sound argument there.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Straw man argument would imply Newtek doesn't have facts to back himself up. However he provided a link that supports his argument and you have not. Either you do not see the irony in saying he's the one making a straw man argument or you do not know what the phrase means. In the end its just your opinion against fact. Fact always trump opinion. This is why your arguments are so easily shredded and honestly its become to easy.

19. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    interesting when I "updated" to 8.1 nothing stayed it was like a fresh format though admittedly it gave every indication of being an "update". I was surprised and angry. That said I updated a customers PC in my shop and it went fine.

Im curious as to why more then anything.

20. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I see the community is brimming with companionship these days.

psyko12 and Solaris17 say thanks.
  21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I've explained everything that needs to be explained. You just like being unpleasant to people, to me especially for some unknown reason and that's the real issue, not whether some technical point is right or wrong. (and no, my technical point isn't wrong here either, so don't bother trying, lol)

You really know how to crap a thread my friend. :shadedshu:

22. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why it would wipe everything, according to Microsoft you are supposed to keep everything. All the updates I've done have worked perfectly.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj203353.aspx

Really, I crapped the thread? Your first post in the thread claimed the messaged couldn't be killed(that was wrong) and because of this Microsoft is so terrible and it is "obviously" a ploy to get people to upgrade(again wrong).

Besides the point that the fact that you are originally wrong about the prompt not being possible to disable and the fact that Microsoft makes the information readily available on how to do it, it also doesn't make sense for them to have to ploy people into upgrading. Can you even give me one good reason they would want to force people to upgrade? It is a 100% free upgrade, they are giving it away.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  23. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    I can read white pages too. vista had one about being great. im just saying its happened to me and the OP. iv seen it work too. im just saying...

24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, I'm just saying it isn't supposed to, so people shouldn't take your one case as a reason not to update. And where did the OP say it happened to him?

25. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    sorry the lads at work.