1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to take advantage of Dual Gigabit LAN?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by KBD, Jul 21, 2008.

1. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    My mobo has Dual Gigabit LAN and was wondering if there is anything i can do to take advantage of that to get better performance. I'm behind a router on a wired network and currently have 1 RJ-45 cable connecting one of the Gigabit LAN mobo ports to a RJ-45 jack attached to the wall. I also have another RJ-45 jack on the 3rd floor (i'm on the 2nd), if a run a long cable and plug it into my second Gigabit LAN mobo port will i get a performance boost? Or do i have it all wrong?
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  2. goober New Member

Thanks Received:
    you could plug another cord in and set up load balancing but that is mainly for servers but it also works like that, i did that for a while
    KBD and calvary1980 say thanks.
  3. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Does your mobo manual mention a special feature ? This kind of thing IS possible.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  4. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mobo manual doesnt say a word about this, funny, because this feature was marketed by Gigabyte and they dont even tell the end user how to take advantage of it.

@goober, can you plz explain load balancing, what does it do?

Since you guys think it will work I guess i'll have to look for a long ass cord like 25 ft long, plug that sucker in and see what happens, i'll post back later and let you guys know how it works.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  5. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you can plug Ethernet cables directly to another computer and they can send stuff to each other.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  6. JoshBrunelle

Thanks Received:
    Yea Gigabit ports are good for LAN, I had my 360 passing through my computer with ICS when I had dual ports before I got a second router. Load balancing really doesn't make too much sense in this case. Usually they are for dishing out traffic to another server so one does not get swamped.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My board has two giga lans,they support something called teaming,no idea what it is though.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  8. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, i think i heard about that too. Though i'm already on a network but have all the sharing stuff turned off cause it is not used. Basically the main pc hooked to the router just lets me go on the web.
  9. JoshBrunelle

Thanks Received:
    There is no way you'd come near gigabit speeds using the internet especially through a router, which probably only supports 100Mbits anyhow, so I don't know if there would be a point in having both connected. I guess you could just use the other to connect other computers if you wanted to.
  10. mas0n New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is very little chance you are doing anything on your LAN that would perform better under a teaming dual-gigabit connection. A single Gigabit connection will provide up to 125MB/s which means that the computer on the other end most likely doesn't have hard drives that could keep up in order to saturate that bandwidth. Where teamed LAN is beneficial is in situations not where you neccessarily need the additional bandwidth, but are serving to massive amounts of simultaneous requests.

To set it up you can either use the proprietary software that most likely came with your motherboard, or you can just bridge the connections under Network Connections, it will do the same thing.
    KBD says thanks.